GDT: G17 - MIN @ AZ - 7PM Central - Lift the Puck? - FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This one will be blacked out for me so I guess I'll be sitting this one out. But one thing to consider is how, last game against the Sharks, Boudreau benched our best LW (Zucker) for almost 8 minutes to start the second period, yet Parise is consistently leading the forwards in ice time and hasn't been benched once despite often times being the worst forward on the team.

I definitely think about that a lot.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Instead of lifting the puck....

TemptingFixedIndianglassfish-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: fgobuzz and a79krgm

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This one will be blacked out for me so I guess I'll be sitting this one out. But one thing to consider is how, last game against the Sharks, Boudreau benched our best LW (Zucker) for almost 8 minutes to start the second period, yet Parise is consistently leading the forwards in ice time and hasn't been benched once despite often times being the worst forward on the team.

Keep in mind Zucker was directly responsible for a large part of the crappy start to the game. There was a reason he was -3 and Zach was even when Zucker was benched.

It worked too, because Zucker woke up.

That doesn't excuse Zach's later errors, just pointing out just how much Zucker was costing the team early.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Keep in mind Zucker was directly responsible for a large part of the crappy start to the game. There was a reason he was -3 and Zach was even when Zucker was benched.

It worked too, because Zucker woke up.

That doesn't excuse Zach's later errors, just pointing out just how much Zucker was costing the team early.

I understand why Zucker was benched and have no issue with it.
What I don't understand and do have issue with is Parise not being held to the same level of accountability. He has been a liability most of his time spent on the ice this season. Never once benched for even one shift.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I understand why Zucker was benched and have no issue with it.
What I don't understand and do have issue with is Parise not being held to the same level of accountability. He has been a liability most of his time spent on the ice this season. Never once benched for even one shift.
I get being upset about Zach, but pointing to Zucker who was playing much worse when he was benched isn't helping anything is all. I just don't see the point in that scenario.

Just be mad about Zach alone imo. :dunno:

Reactions: 57special

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I get being upset about Zach, but pointing to Zucker who was playing much worse when he was benched isn't helping anything is all. I just don't see the point in that scenario.

Just be mad about Zach alone imo. :dunno:

You don't see "the point" in pointing out how our best LW gets benched for poor play but our worst LW hasn't once been benched and in fact leads the team in ice time consistently?
What do you think I'm trying to "help"?

It's absolutely a valid point to bring up. Parise has certainly cost us goals before.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You don't see "the point" in pointing out how our best LW gets benched for poor play but our worst LW hasn't once been benched and in fact leads the team in ice time consistently?
What do you think I'm trying to "help"?

It's absolutely a valid point to bring up. Parise has certainly cost us goals before.
Our best left wing who was killing our team defensively while being absent offensively?

Zach, as bad as he's been offensively and in transition, has still been decent defensively.

Zucker needed to be benched for 8 minutes. Zach helped to keep the team from bleeding out at that point.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

You probably don't want to read Russo's latest story then. He talks like he's trying to find more icetime for Parise.:facepalm:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Our best left wing who was killing our team defensively while being absent offensively?

Zach, as bad as he's been offensively and in transition, has still been decent defensively.

Zucker needed to be benched for 8 minutes. Zach helped to keep the team from bleeding out at that point.
I don't have issue with Parise playing if it's a defensive situation. However, I have issue when he is the first one out there when we need offense. Look at last game for an example, Greenway-Ek-Kunin was on a roll. In the first part of pulling Dubnyk who was out there? Parise. Didn't do a whole lot. They come back with Greenway-Ek-Kunin-Staal-Suter-Spurgeon after that and it was absolute mayhem for scoring chances right until the final buzzer. Boudreau needs to recognize who is playing well in-game and get them the prime opportunities. That's always been a knock for him as a coach.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Parise is a terrible defensive player.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't have issue with Parise playing if it's a defensive situation. However, I have issue when he is the first one out there when we need offense. Look at last game for an example, Greenway-Ek-Kunin was on a roll. In the first part of pulling Dubnyk who was out there? Parise. Didn't do a whole lot. They come back with Greenway-Ek-Kunin-Staal-Suter-Spurgeon after that and it was absolute mayhem for scoring chances right until the final buzzer. Boudreau needs to recognize who is playing well in-game and get them the prime opportunities. That's always been a knock for him as a coach.
I was only talking about the specific Zucker 8 minute benching remember. I'm not arguing that Zach should be getting a ton of time, that was just a bad example is all 8 was pointing out.

It also worked for the team too.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's not great at it, but wouldn't call him a liability.

Parise has a net negative value when he is on the ice. That is a liability. Regardless of which specific parts of the game he is terrible at, as opposed to just bad at.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My main problem with Parise isn't even his performance at this point. He's been tough to watch at times and seeing him lead the forwards in ice time is annoying, but a lot of that comes from being on the 1st PP unit. At 5v5 he's been more middle of the pack recently, which is whatever. I wouldn't hate to see him bumped down to the 2nd PP unit.

What's really bugging me about him is that, when asked about it, he often turns focus to the coach or his linemates.
“As a whole, scoring chances have been few and far between this year,” said Parise, who has bounced around the lineup all season. “I don’t think our line has spent a lot of time in the offensive zone. So it’s been tough. I’m a volume-shooter guy. It’s just when we’re not getting the opportunities to shoot, the opportunities to create stuff offensively, after a while you start to press, you start to, you start to feel like crap.

“So that’s kind of where it is right now.”

It's easy to misinterpret quotes, but it comes off as sulking because he's not playing with a guy like Granlund that could help generate scoring chances for him. He spins it like he's somehow a victim of circumstance instead of the highest-paid forward on the team. "The problem isn't that I'm failing to convert on my chances, it's that I don't get enough of them playing with X and Y." **** off.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
My main problem with Parise isn't even his performance at this point. He's been tough to watch at times and seeing him lead the forwards in ice time is annoying, but a lot of that comes from being on the 1st PP unit. At 5v5 he's been more middle of the pack recently, which is whatever. I wouldn't hate to see him bumped down to the 2nd PP unit.

What's really bugging me about him is that, when asked about it, he often turns focus to the coach or his linemates.

It's easy to misinterpret quotes, but it comes off as sulking because he's not playing with a guy like Granlund that could help generate scoring chances for him. He spins it like he's somehow a victim of circumstance instead of the highest-paid forward on the team. "The problem isn't that I'm failing to convert on my chances, it's that I don't get enough of them playing with X and Y." **** off.
Yeah, you can tell that it's never even crossed his mind that he might be part of the problem.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Parise has a net negative value when he is on the ice. That is a liability. Regardless of which specific parts of the game he is terrible at, as opposed to just bad at.
I think he can provide value as a top minute penalty killer and a third line grinder. The issue is looking at his TOI, it becomes more clear what BB is trying to make him be.

ES TOI ~ 3rd among forwards, 1st for left wingers
PP TOI ~ 1st among all forwards, 1st for left wingers
SH TOI ~ 7th among forwards, 4th/5th among wingers (dep. on if Kunin is C or W), 3rd for left wingers
It's hard for a winger to be a liability defensively. That's usually why they're playing on the wing in the first place.
Totally agree, but then we see Zucker, Donato, and Fiala all be wing defensive liabilities to some extent. I imagine Greenway kinda just sitting there on the bench like Doug Glatt in Goon staring at his coach waiting for him to tell him to go in. Maybe BB will get it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think he can provide value as a top minute penalty killer and a third line grinder. The issue is looking at his TOI, it becomes more clear what BB is trying to make him be.

ES TOI ~ 3rd among forwards, 1st for left wingers
PP TOI ~ 1st among all forwards, 1st for left wingers
SH TOI ~ 7th among forwards, 4th/5th among wingers (dep. on if Kunin is C or W), 3rd for left wingers

Totally agree, but then we see Zucker, Donato, and Fiala all be wing defensive liabilities to some extent. I imagine Greenway kinda just sitting there on the bench like Doug Glatt in Goon staring at his coach waiting for him to tell him to go in. Maybe BB will get it.

He should be getting Hartman or Greenway type minutes. 11-12 ES, 1 SH, <30 PP

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Looking at Parise's ice time from the last 5 games (rankings are relative to the other forwards)....

DateEVPPPK
29-Oct14:52 (3rd)2:37 (3rd)0:06 (5th)
30-Oct13:42 (3rd)1:28 (3rd)2:15 (2nd)
2-Nov16:16 (1st)1:18 (4th)0:37 (5th)
5-Nov12:24 (10th)2:19 (3rd)0:49 (6th)
7-Nov14:09 (5th)4:03 (1st)0:46 (5th)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

For the most part he's getting 2nd line EV minutes (and extending his shifts too long) and 1st unit PP time, which doesn't really bother me in a vacuum. 2nd vs 3rd line on this team isn't going to be much of a difference in minutes.

If you ignore his comments (or my interpretation of them, anyway) my only major complaint is PP1 instead of PP2. If you include the comments I'd like to see him on the 4th line creating his own "opportunities."

Reactions: AJ Thelen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad