GDT: G16: Wild at Avs - 8pm (FSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't mind Bonino as the 4C over Sturm. He can win FOs and won't make many mistakes in the d-zone.

I think the line is better with Strum on wing, just so there is some counter attack ability on the line. I'm just hoping Sturm doesn't get pressboxed when MarJo gets healthy.
He better not. That speed is desperately needed up front, nvm his size and two way smarts.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The ToI was pretty even for the FWDs. Lots of games coming up so good to get the rest when they can.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Lost in the offensive explosion. Jonas! The dude is awesome. Did he get a speed boost recently? He's absolutely flying out there.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Lost in the offensive explosion. Jonas! The dude is awesome. Did he get a speed boost recently? He's absolutely flying out there.

He looks more confident with the puck. He was awesome tonight. I thought Soucy played another very strong game too.

wildbill97

Jan 17, 2021
St. Louis (From MN)
Can we talk about how much MacKinnon was off his game tonight? The broadcast mentioned it, but jeez...Suter was inside that man's head all game long.

Wild were physically abusive in the 1st period and it set the table for the rest of the game. Avs are too finesse to absorb the hits and still play their pretty perimeter game.

Colorado had no choice but to start crashing in the 3rd and it opened up even more odd-man scoring chances.

Excellent game plan.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The Greenway-Ek-Fiala line has issues. 6 goals scored by the team but this line had 0 points. The only contribution from Greenway was two mins in the penalty box, zero shots. Only positive is that they probably helped slowing down the Avs. Fiala's production is probably being reduced by two mediocre linemates.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
The Greenway-Ek-Fiala line has issues. 6 goals scored by the team but this line had 0 points. The only contribution from Greenway was two mins in the penalty box, zero shots. Only positive is that they probably helped slowing down the Avs. Fiala's production is probably being reduced by two mediocre linemates.
I'd try to throw him with Johansson and Hartman. Reunite the GEF shutdown line.

Zucc Rask Kap
Johansson Hartman Fiala
Greenway Ek Foligno
Sturm Bonino Parise

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I'd try to throw him with Johansson and Hartman. Reunite the GEF shutdown line.

Zucc Rask Kap
Johansson Hartman Fiala
Greenway Ek Foligno
Sturm Bonino Parise

Like this idea.. but we know it will be Parise/Johansson/Fiala and they will foce Hartman back to the 4th line.. because, well you know.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Quick thoughts:

- Didn't notice much from Ek/Greenway/Fiala offensively but if they do the job of limiting Mackinnon/Landeskog/Rantenen that is just as well. They'll be back.

- Not really much else to say about Kaprizov that hasn't been said already. I've never seen someone skate like that for this team. He's the definition of the create something from nothing cliché. He has some innate ability to make things work...like other people try some of the things he has tried but for some reason when he does them it ends up working. Obviously all of the physical and mental skills are tangible but that is the thing with him, he has that scoring gene that we almost never see on this team. I rolled my eyes hearing the Evason comment about wanting him to shoot on that shift but just coach stuff about never being satisfied probably.

- They talked a bunch about Parise/Foligno/Hartman and rightfully so since they all had a goal but I'm still not 100% sold on the combo...probably because Parise simply looks like he can't play hockey anymore. Hartman has played well.

- Pretty much done with Bjugstad at this point, he has had a couple nice stretches I suppose but overall not seeing it with him. He's not really a 4th liner since he can't skate that well and he hasn't really been good enough to play much higher than that. I'd rather have Sturm play center at this point. Seems kind of hilarious that we are starved for centers and three of them are on the 4th line.

- Defense played great overall. Kahkonen is a nice refreshment after years of Dubnyk, just because he has the ability to make those athletic stops. He's able to play goalie as opposed to just trying to get in the way with positioning.

That was a fun one.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If JEE line can shutdown Mackinnon and Rantanen then they are doing their job. To expect them to also be outscoring them is unrealistic. D rebounded, especially Brodin, who is looking special. Dumba made on or two minor boo-boos, but otherwise looked very solid. I think that Spurgeon is playing hurt... just doesn't seem right.

Kahk is the unsung hero here amongst all the Kap love. He has saved a goal or two a game, after a mildly rocky start to the season. That is huge.

Hartman is looking like a top 6 player. I don't think it will continue, but the finish on his goal was done at speed...thats not easy. If he keeps playing like this(at Center? Who knew?)then we have to think about re-signing him. He, Greenway, and Foligno are key depth players for this team, and will stop them from being victimized by "heavy" teams such as LVK.

Last edited:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
You can see at times why Hartman was a 1st round pick. It's a bit surprising to me that he's not able to stick with a team. Wonder if it's a thing where if he gets elevated to those scoring lines he doesn't do well against shutdown checking lines but then he outshines his role in those 3rd/4th lines. Seems like teams don't want to pay him what he can probably get via arbitration.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You can see at times why Hartman was a 1st round pick. It's a bit surprising to me that he's not able to stick with a team. Wonder if it's a thing where if he gets elevated to those scoring lines he doesn't do well against shutdown checking lines but then he outshines his role in those 3rd/4th lines. Seems like teams don't want to pay him what he can probably get via arbitration.
Maybe he's got an annoying or abrasive personality?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Maybe he's got an annoying or abrasive personality?
You say that because?

I think Russo has briefly talked about it. I think it is something to do with how arb money would be higher than what he is worth. Hartman has grown on me a lot this season. I would be more than willing to pay to keep him if the money is there. However, i think the way he is playing we would get a good return if we traded him at the TDL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You say that because?
Because i don't know why he keeps getting moved. Have no info that he is a problem. He has been a guy that has tended to cross the line on the ice at times, taking bad penalties. Maybe he is maturing right now. He has good speed, strength, tenacity and hands for a bottom six guy, and if he can also play c it makes him even more valuable.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I don't read too much into him bouncing around. CHI got a good return for him. Not many FWDs (young ones especially) do well in NSH. PHI didn't have room for him.

It's more just the life of a 4-line FWD than anything else. His $1.9m deal is rather expensive when others can fill that same spot for league min.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't read too much into him bouncing around. CHI got a good return for him. Not many FWDs (young ones especially) do well in NSH. PHI didn't have room for him.

It's more just the life of a 4-line FWD than anything else. His $1.9m deal is rather expensive when others can fill that same spot for league min.
That's funny because Hartman is better than Foligno and I've been told numerous times that Foligno is worth his contract.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That's funny because Hartman is better than Foligno and I've been told numerous times that Foligno is worth his contract.

/shurg Foligno was overpaid by $500k when he signed the deal he's on. Hartman was a fair deal when he signed. They've both lived up to those contracts since then.

I'm not a fan of Foligno's new contract. Hartman's next deal is still an unknown, a similar deal $3m x 3 to Foligno's should be about the top end. Not sure I'd like that any more than I like Foligno's deal though.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Agreed, but I don't think I'd call either of them true 4th liners. Or I could put it this way, if they're on your fourth line, it's a really good fourth line. And an expensive one, but that doesn't change that it's good!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Agreed, but I don't think I'd call either of them true 4th liners. Or I could put it this way, if they're on your fourth line, it's a really good fourth line. And an expensive one, but that doesn't change that it's good!

Having a good 4th line is great. Having a good 4th line as your 3rd line isn't good.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I agree that Foligno is one of the best 4th liners in the league and he played well last year when he was moved up the lineup. But, he isn't a guy that I would want playing the kind of minutes that Boudreau and even Evason play him. Hartman appears like he might be more talented than Boudreau gave him credit for. We'll see if Evason gives him a chance to prove that he might be more than a 4th liner.

/shurg Foligno was overpaid by $500k when he signed the deal he's on. Hartman was a fair deal when he signed. They've both lived up to those contracts since then.

I'm not a fan of Foligno's new contract. Hartman's next deal is still an unknown, a similar deal $3m x 3 to Foligno's should be about the top end. Not sure I'd like that any more than I like Foligno's deal though.

Foligno was overpaid by about $2M when he signed his current deal. He has since turned himself into a very good PK'er and is probably only overpaid by that $500K this year. I guess we'll find out if he can earn his new deal, but I really wish the Wild weren't the team paying that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad