Post-Game Talk: G13: Washington @ Pittsburgh... Valentine’s Day/Lucky 13/Sunday Funday Edition | 2/14 3:00p ET NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
They're so desperately win-now but MacLellan needs to take a step back at some point and evaluate what he's putting together. As-is it's too slow, pretty arguably too old and in need of more truly well-rounded skillsets.

This. I've always maintained that not only are they cap-strapped with little room to maneuver, they also have so little flexibility within the roster itself. We have a lot of guys that are decent to great at what they do, but very little 2-way players or well-rounded players. Who do we have that are like that?

Backstrom, Oshie and Wilson? Thats it? And Backstrom and Oshie are older players. Even the guys that we have signed recently hoping that they were 2 way players haven't panned out such as Panik. And others have regressed like Orlov.

Everyone else is severely limited in another facet one way or another. It just gives us fewer options on how to fix things.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Maybe it's been brought up and discussed already but during the first and second period of the game, NBC was doing the promo for the Doc Emrick salute that they'll be having. Oshie was in one of the clips and he was wearing a Seattle Seahawks 12th man cap. Wonder if it's a foreshadow of where he sees himself heading.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
The Caps moves honestly remind me a bit of the Pens. Since winning the cup we have lost talent and replaced it with people who just take up space. And because of how our money is tied up...especially after we resign OV...it’s gonna only get uglier.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I know it's small-time stuff, but I'm really sick of Nick Dowd taking penalties and getting rewarded for it with more ice time.
I don't think that's small stuff. 4th line center has 8 minor penalties in 13 games played. I can't be bothered to verify this but going by memory 5-6 of those are in the offensive zone and not a single one is on a desperation defensive play to save a sure goal.

It's a good example of certain air of stupidity that has settled over this team. There is no awareness or appreciation for game score or time. Players are constantly taking risks with minimal possible reward.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I maintain that their biggest issues are 74/9. Both being underwater 5-on-5 is very problematic. Orlov's turnover and defensive play thereafter represented a turning point yesterday IMO. It's not at all surprising they were rusty collectively after so much time off but the defensive play of those two has routinely been pretty bad this year. It's probably at the lowest point that I can recall. In Orlov's case there has been zero offense to go along with it. If he doesn't start rounding his game out I can easily see him being moved in a more short-sighted and desperate move for a goaltender.

They're so desperately win-now but MacLellan needs to take a step back at some point and evaluate what he's putting together. As-is it's too slow, pretty arguably too old and in need of more truly well-rounded skillsets.

Certainly 2 massive issues when your two “top” D are playing like they’re 2nd and 3rd pair guys instead of 1a & 1b D’s....but......goaltending still gets the top spot for me.

Sadly....lining up my predicted Orlov move somewhere in the 21-22 timeframe....

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I maintain that their biggest issues are 74/9. Both being underwater 5-on-5 is very problematic. Orlov's turnover and defensive play thereafter represented a turning point yesterday IMO. It's not at all surprising they were rusty collectively after so much time off but the defensive play of those two has routinely been pretty bad this year. It's probably at the lowest point that I can recall. In Orlov's case there has been zero offense to go along with it. If he doesn't start rounding his game out I can easily see him being moved in a more short-sighted and desperate move for a goaltender.

Agreed. Carlson and Orlov are simply not playing well.

True Carlson is getting points, but he needs to be a far better defender.

Orlov isn’t doing anything well. He looks good awful.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Why would you waive Jensen? Hes playing pretty well right now

On the basis that, in this coronavirus-affected market, it’s unlikely he’d be claimed because of his cap hit, and they’ve rotated him and TVR on that bottom pair. If someone’s going to sit, they might as well sit on the notional taxi squad rather than active roster if it allows you to let a guy not-named Anderson to start in place of Vanecek for a game.

I’m not advocating getting rid of Jensen, far from it. This would just be a cap move, akin to Tampa waiving Johnson and Schenn for game 1, or Tampa waiving Spezza, so they can briefly get relief from some of their cap hits.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Certainly 2 massive issues when your two “top” D are playing like they’re 2nd and 3rd pair guys instead of 1a & 1b D’s....but......goaltending still gets the top spot for me.
Sure. I just had zero expectations at the position, esp. with Samsonov unavailable and Anderson being such a fringe option. They've bungled it since Lundqvist went down and have been bailed out by Vanecek being even somewhat passable. The numbers suggest he'salso pretty fringe and the eyetest confirms it lately. That they haven't turned to Anderson says it all IMO. While they want to build Vanecek up not giving him a breather speaks volumes. MacLellan absolutely needs to be trying to shake loose any halfway decent 2/3 type. They'll rebound and get it together but it's not a season for patience, esp. for this team given their expectations.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->