Post-Game Talk: G11 - Caps - Rags - 7pm-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Anderson said he was shaking off a lot of rust. Towards the end of last season, he really wasn't playing that much. For any goalie, rookie or vet, you have to stay in playing rhythm. But here's the thing, Copley was never an option because he didn't convince the coaches and the fact that his $1.1 million salary was an issue. If VV were to sustain an injury that keeps him out, then you have no choice but to start a cold(game rhythm) Anderson. That's worse than having been playing Anderson for a game or two under his belt. The Caps are asking for trouble regarding their goalie situation.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Right, so it’s on Lavi, but really it’s on Anderson to be better to get in games.
That is a possibility, but not absolute. The reason I point the issue at Murray, because his rep is he's a younger goalie coach with innovative goalie techniques. Murray could be good working with younger goalies, but I don't think he has enough/right experience working with vet goalies. As I have mentioned before, I don't think Scott Murray connected well enough with Holtby, and I was worried the same might happen with Lundqvist(counter point is Lundqvist has a more modern technique in his play). I feel Scott Murray might be an issue in the same regard that Todd Reirden was coaching the Caps.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I feel this is continued coach skapegoating....I mean unless you’re in these practices, how can you possibly know about “connections”? Not saying it’s wrong, but it’s wild speculation.

Holtby was/is regressing...VV is what he is (so far)....an AHL player with some warts.

I’m not against Anderson playing, but I’m also not rushing to judgement in blaming a coach when he’s not getting into games.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I feel this is continued coach skapegoating....I mean unless you’re in these practices, how can you possibly know about “connections”? Not saying it’s wrong, but it’s wild speculation.

Holtby was/is regressing...VV is what he is (so far)....an AHL player with some warts.

I’m not against Anderson playing, but I’m also not rushing to judgement in blaming a coach when he’s not getting into games.
I'll add this for thought. Scott Murray was not on any teams radar to be hired as a goalie coach. When the Caps hired him, it came out a bit from the blue.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I don't think goaltending is the major concern for our team at this time. VV is playing well and we don't know what Samsonov will play like when he returns. I mean, for sure there are potential concerns with our goaltending but that's not why
our team has declined in the last 3 games.

Eller and Schultz being injured - that really hurts.
Kuznetsov - we need him back ASAP. For sure he is going to suck the first couple of games but he needs the ice time and let's hope we get the good Kuzy and not the controller disconnected one...

The team as a whole has fallen back into "Reirden mode" and that's something Lavi needs to address, and I'm sure he will.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't think goaltending is the major concern for our team at this time. VV is playing well and we don't know what Samsonov will play like when he returns. I mean, for sure there are potential concerns with our goaltending but that's not why
our team has declined in the last 3 games.

Eller and Schultz being injured - that really hurts.
Kuznetsov - we need him back ASAP. For sure he is going to suck the first couple of games but he needs the ice time and let's hope we get the good Kuzy and not the controller disconnected one...

The team as a whole has fallen back into "Reirden mode" and that's something Lavi needs to address, and I'm sure he will.
The honest truth is we won't see Kuzy/Sammy for weeks! They are not allowed to even go on the ice. So whatever time their quarantine/recover is, you might have to add another 2 weeks for practice time.

As far as I have heard, Schultz hasn't been on the ice since the injury, so something more significant might being going on there.

With Eller, he on the ice but wearing a no-contact jersey. I'm guessing he might be still having some slight after effects of concussion symptoms.

Then there is also Sheary. All we know is its some kind of lower body injury.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'll add this for thought. Scott Murray was not on any teams radar to be hired as a goalie coach. When the Caps hired him, it came out a bit from the blue.

How would you be privy to the entire list of candidates every organization had?

How would a guy coaching in the A not be a normal promotable candidate?

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
How would you be privy to the entire list of candidates every organization had?

How would a guy coaching in the A not be a normal promotable candidate?

I don't have insight into who was available. What I do know is when the Caps hired Murray for Hershey, it was said he was a goalie coach that was into the newer techniques of goaltending. That sounds good and all, but there is more to it as a goalie coach than just knowing the newer techniques.

From an organization standpoint it was easy to hire the AHL goalie coach. He had worked with the younger goalies in the system so their was familiarity and he would come at a cheap salary. I just don't think it was the right choice. You had Mitch Korn, who is still one of the best. While Murray was under the tutelage of Korn, I'm not convinced Murray is the right goalie coach at the NHL level, especially for a team that is in Win Now mode.

To support more of my argument, Murray has not done enough with Samsonov. Sammy is talented, but when he last played he was still trying to use too much of his reflexes to stop the puck. There are a good deal of talented enough goalies, but to really stick in the NHL your mental game has to be really strong. Sammy's mental game is lacking, as it showed both last season and the 2 games he played this season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I see nothing but baseless speculation....and a lot of letting Sammy off the hook, sorry. How can you possibly look at his current development trend and not see that ATV Boy is plenty culpable?

maybe an immature Sammy is the issue as was an aging Holtby. Dude put in what, 4 years in Hershey?

If he sucks, he sure has fooled many a seasoned hockey mind for a long time.....

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I see nothing but baseless speculation....and a lot of letting Sammy off the hook, sorry. How can you possibly look at his current development trend and not see that ATV Boy is plenty culpable?

maybe an immature Sammy is the issue as was an aging Holtby. Dude put in what, 4 years in Hershey?

If he sucks, he sure has fooled many a seasoned hockey mind for a long time.....

Come on, man - we don't have enough games with Samsonov in net to make "definitive statements" about whether he sucks or not - the jury is still out. He's going to live or die in the next few weeks, no doubt about it....

It's a strange, strange season....I'm sure there's a song in there somewhere, but we all need to be even more tempered than usual...this is kind of a joke season, really.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Come on, man - we don't have enough games with Samsonov in net to make "definitive statements" about whether he sucks or not - the jury is still out. He's going to live or die in the next few weeks, no doubt about it....

It's a strange, strange season....I'm sure there's a song in there somewhere, but we all need to be even more tempered than usual...this is kind of a joke season, really.

never said he’s sucked, just that’s he’s messed up big time so far when expectations were the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad