Post-Game Talk: G11 - Caps - Rags - 7pm-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
We just don’t look good right now. Energy and effort are so uneven.

Uneven yeah, but we knew it was going to be a building process going into the season. What matters is how we are playing at the end and not at the beginning. Hopefully.

And we are going to see all of these teams like 394726302818173 more times.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Huh? His vast prior experience as a head coach, for starters. Plus his well-earned reputation as a hard-ass. That too sets him apart from TR

Gotcha. Its a reputation confidence. I am just watching. I am watching Vrana's mins. Ov's mins....geez 27mins. Watching Hagelin's mins and Orlov.

Reactions: troyerlaw

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
We look worse since ovie came back. Then again schultz injury is probably part of the problem. He was playing really well. Wish fever would get a game or two. Probably will, based on roster volatility so far (and the # of Caps taking pucks to the face)

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it’s safe to say the chara/Carlson combo doesn’t work, and the panik/Oshie/vrana line isn’t effective

Chara and Carlson have played some ice here as a pair. Chara has played with all 4 right shot defensemen. Carlson has played with all 3 left shot d. Which would you say did work?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We look worse since ovie came back. Then again schultz injury is probably part of the problem. He was playing really well. Wish fever would get a game or two. Probably will, based on roster volatility so far (and the # of Caps taking pucks to the face)

Did Siegenthaler get a puck or just catch the bench because they were behind?

Reactions: troyerlaw

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Jensen was much better.

Carlson looks like butt in his own end. That has got to stop. Remember back in his younger days when he'd get under guy's skin? What happened to that guy?

Ovie was strong on the puck today. He needs to keep that up.

Orlov looks like the best defenseman on the team. Great poke checks. A few mistakes though. He needs to break out that slap shot of his more often. I don't know why the Caps have underutilized it so badly over the years.

Dillon is not impressing me.

Chara has been fine. A steal for $700K really. He's more slick with the puck than I expected. Makes smart passes.

Vrana did some good things. Didn't get the goal but he was a threat.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Getting Eller and Kuzy back will be good.

Hopefully Samsonov is able to pull his head out of his arse and be the goalie he showed flashes of a year ago.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Chara should be getting less ice. The dude is a gamer but he’s not a top pairing guy any more.

Orlov has been back for 2 now. Two days off then a game Sunday. If Orlov is still skating 3rd pair on Sunday, its more than just getting his wheels back. Ov played nearly 30 mins tonight. I would suggest that coach thinks 9 needs to bring more than he has.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Orlov has been back for 2 now. Two days off then a game Sunday. If Orlov is still skating 3rd pair on Sunday, its more than just getting his wheels back. Ov played nearly 30 mins tonight. I would suggest that coach thinks 9 needs to bring more than he has.

It would be absurd for me to think I know more than the coach, but I am concerned about how much he is playing some of our guys. Surely Chara needs a game off to rest or at least reduce his minutes for a few games.

Vanacek as well - at the very least start Anderson for a game and if he is awful then VV can sub in.

I would much rather we lose a couple of games at this part of the season than over-work some players and have them gassed going into the playoffs. Even though there are only 56 vs 82 games, it's a much more compressed schedule and there's no Xmas, All Star break.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Getting Eller and Kuzy back will be good.

Hopefully Samsonov is able to pull his head out of his arse and be the goalie he showed flashes of a year ago.

Here's the problem. Eller is dealing with concussion symptoms. He's wearing the no-contact jersey in practice. He will just have to keep practicing till he feels right. I really think you have to look at his status as week-to-week. Kuzy has to have COVID. So you are looking 2 weeks to recover from the virus and another 2 weeks of good practice. Sammy will take longer than Kuzy. I'll say 5 weeks. Sammy never seemed to fully recover from his ATV accident as he really was struggling in the 2 games he did play. I'm really curious if Sammy has improved on his English, because a goalie communicating to his teammates on the ice and understanding coaching schemes in English, makes a big difference.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It would be absurd for me to think I know more than the coach, but I am concerned about how much he is playing some of our guys. Surely Chara needs a game off to rest or at least reduce his minutes for a few games.

Vanacek as well - at the very least start Anderson for a game and if he is awful then VV can sub in.

I would much rather we lose a couple of games at this part of the season than over-work some players and have them gassed going into the playoffs. Even though there are only 56 vs 82 games, it's a much more compressed schedule and there's no Xmas, All Star break.
Nothing against Vanecek, but Anderson should have started one of the games against the Sabres and this game against the Rangers. For the 2nd time, Joe B./Craig Laughlin on the Caps telecast said they were surprised Anderson was not given the start against the Rangers, as he has a good record against them and the Sabres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad