G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Why do all these videos have potato quality for the first 5+ seconds? Does no one seriously know how to capture a video?

It's a Twitter problem, not a recording problem. Anything I put on Twitter compresses really poorly and the first few seconds look awful.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
2020 draft is nearly a year away but that hasn't stopped everyone talking about the 16 year old Russian goalkeeper after his insane (35 saves) performance against Canada in the Hlinka Gretzky tournament. Deffo a name to keep an eye on.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
@Caser @Atas2000 @Kshahdoo @Yakushev72

Can any of you or our other Russian friends provide thoughts on whether we’ll see Askarov in the KHL this year?

I know he’s in the SKA system which is the strongest in Russia and it will be tough to get in to the lineup of the Kremlin’s favourite team but it sure would be nice to see him get KHL action before the draft.

Askarov is a generational goaltender and looks like the second coming of Tretiak, hopefully he is allowed to come over to NA after he’s drafted.

We have a lot of interest in him in Canada. Hope to see him in our annual junior Super Series in November.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
1.SKA= Kremlin's favourite team is the most stupid narrative and a thought up lie. Only mindless freaks like Malamud might be still spreading it.

2.While SKA is in a sort of a rebuild they are pretty much set in goal for the KHL. Askarov might get games if the season goes smooth for SKA, but I would expect single games here and there.

3.Askarov might earn a U20 NT spot. Then his schedule will revolve around it more than anything else. It ia also too early for him play in the KHL a lot IMO.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
1.SKA= Kremlin's favourite team is the most stupid narrative and a thought up lie. Only mindless freaks like Malamud might be still spreading it.

2.While SKA is in a sort of a rebuild they are pretty much set in goal for the KHL. Askarov might get games if the season goes smooth for SKA, but I would expect single games here and there.

3.Askarov might earn a U20 NT spot. Then his schedule will revolve around it more than anything else. It ia also too early for him play in the KHL a lot IMO.

Who would be ahead of him for the U20 NT?

He’s been to Canada on many occasions the past couple of years.

In the inner hockey circles in Canada, Askarov’s name comes up as the best goaltender prospect since Carey Price in the 2005 draft.

We’re going into the 2020 NHL draft, he’s a generational goaltending prospect who enters the 2020 draft as the most decorated international goaltender prospect of all time.

5 medals already, conceivably could have 7 (2020 WJC and 2020 IIHF U-18s) before he’s drafted.

The hockey worlds eyes are on young Mr. Askarov.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
I reckon he'll go for SKA, he'll probably follow in the footsteps of Nikita Gusev and head to NHL for a bit though

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Who would be ahead of him for the U20 NT?

He’s been to Canada on many occasions the past couple of years.

In the inner hockey circles in Canada, Askarov’s name comes up as the best goaltender prospect since Carey Price in the 2005 draft.

We’re going into the 2020 NHL draft, he’s a generational goaltending prospect who enters the 2020 draft as the most decorated international goaltender prospect of all time.

5 medals already, conceivably could have 7 (2020 WJC and 2020 IIHF U-18s) before he’s drafted.

The hockey worlds eyes are on young Mr. Askarov.
Here a @Caser post from another thread:

Roster for the 4 Nations Tournament in Perm (23rd-25th of August):

GK
Daniil Isayev
Amir Miftakhov
D
Danila Galenyuk
Anton Malyshev
Daniil Misyul
Daniil Pylenkov
Alexander Romanov
Bogdan Zhilyakov
Daniil Zhuravlyov
FW
Rodion Amirov
Grigoriy Denisenko
Pavel Dorofeyev
Lev Komissarov
Kirill Marchenko
Vladislav Mikhailov
Ivan Morozov
Vasiliy Podkolzin
Pavel Rotenberg
Nikita Rtishchev
Danil Savunov
Maxim Sorkin
Yegor Stepanov
Dmitriy Voronkov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So it's pretty much this. Isayev and Miftakhov. People tend to overrate Askarov now and forget how old he is. I do believe he can perform on the U20 level, but I don't think he will easily bounce out 2 years older prospects even though he will probably be a better goalie going forward.

Reactions: snipes

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's supposed to be a very good 1. Is it fair to say he's the best goalie prospect in many many years? Also does he go top 5 in 2020?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Here a @Caser post from another thread:

So it's pretty much this. Isayev and Miftakhov. People tend to overrate Askarov now and forget how old he is. I do believe he can perform on the U20 level, but I don't think he will easily bounce out 2 years older prospects even though he will probably be a better goalie going forward.

They hype for askarov is a runaway train at this point with people just regurgitating what one guy says. Askarov has played very well but also had fantastic teams in front of him at every single tournament.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
They hype for askarov is a runaway train at this point with people just regurgitating what one guy says. Askarov has played very well but also had fantastic teams in front of him at every single tournament.
That on the other hand is another false narrative. The teams in front of him him were way worse than what Russia had in recent years. And his MHL team was far enough from the finals too.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He's supposed to be a very good 1. Is it fair to say he's the best goalie prospect in many many years? Also does he go top 5 in 2020?
It depends on "many many" but I would say he is at the same tier with Vasilevsky who also had all the makings of a great goalie from a very young age as well as being very successful in all age groups.

Vasilevsky was a starter in U18 WC as a 15-year-old. He also had .936 Sv% in U18 WC as a 16 y.o. opposed to Askarov's .916. Even though these are all trivial things there is little else than the hype that would place Askarov above Vasilevski as a prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: tony d

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I was thinking since Price. Still it could be fair to say that goalie for Team Russia is looking good for the next decade with Vasi and Yaro.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I was thinking since Price. Still it could be fair to say that goalie for Team Russia is looking good for the next decade with Vasi and Yaro.
I don't get that since Price part that is coming up since Button posted it IIRC. Price is not in that league of superstar goaltenders all time. He is just very good and a few select goalies in the league are on the same level or better.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I don't get that since Price part that is coming up since Button posted it IIRC. Price is not in that league of superstar goaltenders all time. He is just very good and a few select goalies in the league are on the same level or better.

Button’s comparison here has nothing to do with Price’s performance in the NHL (or Askarov’s future performance in the NHL), nor is it meant to discredit the achievement of other goaltenders relative to Price. He is simply stating that (in his view) the last goalie prospect of Askarov’s caliber and hype was Carey Price, who was drafted 5th overall.

Last edited:

d rake

Jan 7, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
He is simply stating that (in his view) the last goalie prospect of Askarov’s caliber and hype was Carey Price, who was drafted 5th overall. The highest goalie drafted since that time was Spencer Knight this year at 13.
Jack Campbell went 11th in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->