G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
He reminds me of Nikolai Khabibulin .

He is an elite talent

Khabibulin was promising but he was a bit all over the place as a youngster relying on phenomenal reflexes rather than technique. Askarov looks very composed always, years ahead of Khabibulin technically.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Khabibulin was promising but he was a bit all over the place as a youngster relying on phenomenal reflexes rather than technique. Askarov looks very composed always, years ahead of Khabibulin technically.

Good point but I was referring more to when Bulin was a finished product . Which also goes to tell you how much upside Askarov has

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Good point but I was referring more to when Bulin was a finished product . Which also goes to tell you how much upside Askarov has

Yes, I figured you did and I agree.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
You cant compare him to Knight. He is head and shoulders above + if it wasnt for the Panthers he would have landed in the 20s.

Way too early hype or not, would be cool to see a Goaltender go top10. Will def. be someone I Keep an eye on this year
Head and shoulders above LOL. Knight must suck.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Where is this kid projected to go? Top 5/10/20/30?
I'll be shocked if he's not taken top-5. He should probably go top-3 on talent & upside alone. He's a huge risk being both a goalie and a Russian. I'd love to know where each franchise's fanbase would be comfortable taking him. Would a team like Ottawa or Detroit consider using their top pick (even if it's top-3) on a goalie? I dunno...

I'd be ecstatic to see the Blues somehow come away from round-1 next draft with this guy, but there's no way he's falling into the 20s (or later), so they'd need to either trade up significantly or have '20 be a disaster on the ice for that to happen. I say he's taken top-5 by someone and in the NHL by 2023.

Reactions: Oddbob

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he’ll be a top 10 pick. I don’t think we can say definitely top 5 because it’s harder to predict a goalie goes in the top five. He might end up the consensus 3rd best prospect and the teams picking 4th and 5th already have star goalies. It’s much easier to make that pick for a forward or defensemen because you need a lot of good players at those positions. Top 10 gives more wiggle room for his draft range, although I would not rule out that he could be picked top five.

Reactions: snipes and wetcoast

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
A lot of non playoff teams could use a franchise goalie. Oilers, Wild, Red Wings, Kings, Devils. I could see him going top 5 but more likely he will be top 10. Too much talent that can help immediately whereas he will take a couple years minimum to play.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'll be shocked if he's not taken top-5. He should probably go top-3 on talent & upside alone. He's a huge risk being both a goalie and a Russian. I'd love to know where each franchise's fanbase would be comfortable taking him. Would a team like Ottawa or Detroit consider using their top pick (even if it's top-3) on a goalie? I dunno...

I'd be ecstatic to see the Blues somehow come away from round-1 next draft with this guy, but there's no way he's falling into the 20s (or later), so they'd need to either trade up significantly or have '20 be a disaster on the ice for that to happen. I say he's taken top-5 by someone and in the NHL by 2023.

I think for Detroit to take him, they would have to have 2 early 1st round picks. Goalie is a smaller issue, will still need a good young one at some point, but we need top end talent up front, both forwards and defence.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Depending on where the Habs pick ends up being, I would not be against them taking Askarov. It's getting time to consider a replacement to Price. Also, a goalie prospect who at this time, appears to be more of a sure thing superstar.

And watching the Bell Centre explode would be the cherry on top of the sundae!

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why do all these videos have potato quality for the first 5+ seconds? Does no one seriously know how to capture a video?

Reactions: Flynn84

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If the Wings pick 4 or below and Lafreniere, Raymond, and Byfield are gone, Askarov is my guy. Sure, we still need help everywhere, but Askarov will allow us to not have to bet on Larsson becoming a starting goalie. Elite goalies are rarely moved these days, which is why you see the free agency goalie carousel every year. Most of the time getting a goalie from the carousel doesn't work. I could see Stevie wanting to draft Askarov and just not have to worry about the 1G slot.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Changing my avatar pic Askarov will be the best player in this upcoming draft. Kid is unbelievable wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad