G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Askarov's interview after the final. The kid looks like winner too.

Saw that earlier as well.

He has a deep sense of self belief, that’s what makes him special.

It’s plainly obvious that he has the physical attributes matched with the rare mentality that great players have.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Knight is as good as Askarov, and I've been saying this consistently for nearly a year. I'm a big fan of Knight. I think he is probably the best pre-draft goalie prospect since Vasilevskiy, so there were seven drafts from 2013-2019 with no better goalies. I do however think 2020's best goalie prospect will take that title from Knight. I don't think the difference between the two is big, but I think Askarov is a slightly better athlete, and I've seen him win games by himself with more regularity. Knight doesn't dominate to the same level.

Reactions: Newfoundland

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Knight is right there with askarov. Askarov plays on stacked Russia teams which always helps too. Very talented but hype is a bit over the top on him...USA hit probably 5 posts vs Russia and should have won that game handily.

Compared to what Knight played on Askarov is on a house league team. Both goalies are generational goalies. Askarov can win it all in his own and has done so at Worlds and Hlinka.

Edge goes to Askarov. I can see him going top 5 or top 3. He is ahead of Byfield for sure

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
I don't think Knight is as good as Askarov, and I've been saying this consistently for nearly a year. I'm a big fan of Knight. I think he is probably the best pre-draft goalie prospect since Vasilevskiy, so there were seven drafts from 2013-2019 with no better goalies. I do however think 2020's best goalie prospect will take that title from Knight. I don't think the difference between the two is big, but I think Askarov is a slightly better athlete, and I've seen him win games by himself with more regularity. Knight doesn't dominate to the same level.
I don't think that's very likely. I would wait until the combine to make statements like that. Knight was off the charts for a goalie.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think that's very likely. I would wait until the combine to make statements like that. Knight was off the charts for a goalie.

I'm referring to the combination of lateral movement and size. They are the same size, but Askarov has some of the best lateral movement I've seen. Knight has above-average lateral movement, which is very good for his size, but Askarov has elite lateral movement for a player of any size.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Compared to what Knight played on Askarov is on a house league team. Both goalies are generational goalies. Askarov can win it all in his own and has done so at Worlds and Hlinka.

Edge goes to Askarov. I can see him going top 5 or top 3. He is ahead of Byfield for sure
What has Knight done to be a generational goaltender?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Askarov has to be in consideration for the U20 WJC. I expect that his competition will be guys like Miftakhov, Isayev. More experienced, but he's better.

Think Bragin takes an underage goaltender?

He brought Vasi as an underager if I remember correctly?

When you have a generational type player like Askarov even though Bragin likes his older players, I would think he’s in the running for the WJC.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Highly doubt askarov goes that high.

Reactions: 13 others

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Think Bragin takes an underage goaltender?

He brought Vasi as an underager if I remember correctly?

When you have a generational type player like Askarov even though Bragin likes his older players, I would think he’s in the running for the WJC.

Yeah Vasilevsky made the team at 17 even without KHL experience. Bragin doesn't mind underagers who are special and mature beyond their years.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah Vasilevsky made the team at 17 even without KHL experience. Bragin doesn't mind underagers who are special and mature beyond their years.

Which Askarov obviously is.

He has a chance to medal at the WJC and U18s which would put him at 7 medals before the draft.

He already has arguably the most decorated international resume of any goaltender in NHL draft history.

I hope Bragin brings him to Canada for the Super Series in November.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
All he gave ‘em ;)

Oh, and Askarov is the one on the stacked teams?

Knight was on a stacked team too. I would love to see askarov on a less dominant team to see how he performs. Russia plays fantastic defense and are always loaded. Same goes for knight too though.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007

lmao

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Sometimes there are goalies that are just so special that you can’t really use the usual goalie drafting logic. Vasy was the last one and I’m pretty sure teams have learned from that draft that when someone is this good it’s not really even a big risk to pick them.

If there is a team in the top 10 or even top 5 that really needs a goalie they are for sure going to take this kid.

Reactions: snipes

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I was blown away. The kid is the best prospect since Vasy. And dare I say, he looks more polished than Vasilevskiy at 17??

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Knight is right there with askarov. Askarov plays on stacked Russia teams which always helps too. Very talented but hype is a bit over the top on him...USA hit probably 5 posts vs Russia and should have won that game handily.
You don’t win 5 medals in a year just because your team is stacked... you do it because you’re that f***ing good.

That Canada team was loaded, the NTDP team was loaded, he f***ing beat them both.

That’s clutch, he’s clearly a big game player m.

No one is “right up there” with him ever in terms of what he’s done before being 18. Kid is something else, his resume has set him apart. He is the best goalie prospect to come through the draft in how many years ?

Reactions: d rake

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
@Caser, I remember you being hesitant to mention Askarov’s name in the same discussion as Vasilevskiy pre-draft.

I’m curious to know if you’ve changed your mind.

I totally like Askarov, but for me to get in the Vasy territory he still has to show a bit more, maybe he will though, especially if he makes the U20 NT.

Btw, totally can't find any good highlight stuff of his saves from this tournament and there have been plenty of those, the only thing I was able to find is this:

Oh, and btw, Hlinka website has some strange stats, so if I calculated correctly, Askarov's tournament stats are 1.25 GAA and 0.961 SVS.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I totally like Askarov, but for me to get in the Vasy territory he still has to show a bit more, maybe he will though, especially if he makes the U20 NT.

Btw, totally can't find any good highlight stuff of his saves from this tournament and there have been plenty of those, the only thing I was able to find is this:

Oh, and btw, Hlinka website has some strange stats, so if I calculated correctly, Askarov's tournament stats are 1.25 GAA and 0.961 SVS.

Be nice if the video wasn't recorded in 2006

Valeson81

Aug 11, 2019
Suisse
You cant compare him to Knight. He is head and shoulders above + if it wasnt for the Panthers he would have landed in the 20s.

Way too early hype or not, would be cool to see a Goaltender go top10. Will def. be someone I Keep an eye on this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->