G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Never really understood the hype about Sogaard. I mean, he's big so that's why he went so early in the draft but I don't think he has the speed to really be an impact at the NHL level against stars who're getting quicker and quicker. I mean, he wasn't even the sole starter for the Medicine Hat Tigers last season.
I know it's hard to judge the pay he played during the WJC because he is on a very weak team, but against young stars around the world he struggled because of their foot speed and the quickness of their shots.
I think he had a .616 GAA to pair with a .802 save %.

Goalies like Luca Hollenstein (Switzerland- 5GP 2.43 GAA .917 save %) , Demid Yeremeyev (Kazakhstan - 5GP 4.73GAA .897 save %) were much better than him despite both being shorter goalies (6'1 and 5'10) and on bad teams.

If you check out the Mads Sogaard thread you'll see I am not a big fan of his and speak on his flaws. I still think he was the best whl goalie last year though. That being said I personally didn't have him being the 3rd goalie off the board last year and wouldn't have picked him where he went. But lets keep the topic on Askarov.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
LXMtamFyb3NsYXZvbS1hc2thcm92eW0tLS1zYW15bS1wZXJzcGVrdGl2bnltLXZyYXRhcmpvbS1zcmVkaS1qdW5pb3Jvdi5odG1sIiwiUHJvdG9jb2wiOiJodHRwczoiLCJIb3N0Ijoid3d3

Just my favorite picture of him so far.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Will be amazing if he continues his trend. Just led a mediocre russian squad to a victory against perhaps the best Canadian team ever ice at Hlinka. Half the Canadian roster are gonna be star NHL players amazing work to keep them at bay.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Tretiak all over again.

Shots in the Gold game were 37-13 for Canada and I’m not even mad at the loss. Canada played a great game, Askaraov just made huge save after huge save.

You can’t help but marvel at goaltending performances like that. Tretiak had that same quality.

He has 5 medals in the last 12 months. That’s insane.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He is the best goaltender prospect I have seen.

He should go top 5. I would not even be surprised if he goes 1st overall.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
This is something I'll completely disagree on. I think Spencer Knight's very overrated, to be frank. Askarov's shown so much more already.

I still think it'd be insane to draft him #1OA, though.
Askarov is human sometimes. Didnt look good in the gold medal game vs sweden earlier this year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Askarov is human sometimes. Didnt look good when russia lost gold vs sweden earlier this year.
I don't see your point? Every goalie has a bad game here and there, my point is he's shown to be much better than Knight at this point. And he doesn't benefit from playing behind the best age group in history.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I don't see your point? Every goalie has a bad game here and there, my point is he's shown to be much better than Knight at this point. And he doesn't benefit from playing behind the best age group in history.
Knight looked really good at the u20 summer tournament.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Askarov is without question a better prospect than Knight.

He’s had 5 medals in the last 12 months. Still possibly could medal in the WJC and U-18s bringing that to 7.

He’ll enter the NHL draft as what I would think would be the most decorated goalie internationally in draft history.

His pre-draft resume and the eye test scream generational goaltender that comes along once, maybe twice every 15-20 years or so.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
There have been lots of Finnish goaltending coaches in Russia in recent years. This is one of the reasons why Russia has produced good goalies in such a high rate. Askarov has also been working with Marko Torenius who is a Finnish goalie coach.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Whats with the snarky attitude?
Because you make random statements. "oh, cool. So what?" is what I could reply to both of them. I don't get your point. Knight looked good? Cool. Askarov looked "like a human"? Cool. So I don't get your point - making random subjective statements on singular instances is not how you argue a point.

If you actually want to compare their u-17 seasons in terms of international performances, Askarov's was far superior.
There have been lots of Finnish goaltending coaches in Russia in recent years. This is one of the reasons why Russia has produced good goalies in such a high rate. Askarov has also been working with Marko Torenius who is a Finnish goalie coach.
No wonder Finnish goalie production has been sucking lately. I wish they'd actually coach the Finnish goalies. Sigh.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I am basically against taking a goalie before the 3rd round. Always. But this kid is truly special for his age. Risk is obviously higher here but man.. 2020 looks good.

Reactions: d rake

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Knight is right there with askarov. Askarov plays on stacked Russia teams which always helps too. Very talented but hype is a bit over the top on him...USA hit probably 5 posts vs Russia and should have won that game handily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad