G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

tenor.gif

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

His quick, long legs are the major reason he gets comparisons to Vasilevskiy. They are both very similar there, especially age corrected. Nowadays Vasilevskiy plays a little bit differently, not less effective though.
This kid is so overhyped it’s ridiculous. He is going to have a tough time living up to lofty expectations.
He is an eighteen year old who just won another game in the KHL in style. Ridiculously good he is.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
His quick, long legs are the major reason he gets comparisons to Vasilevskiy. They are both very similar there, especially age corrected. Nowadays Vasilevskiy plays a little bit differently, not less effective though.

He is an eighteen year old who just won another game in the KHL in style. Ridiculously good he is.

Beauty save. I doubt he falls past Carolina.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

The KHL is a massively goalie friendly league. In fact I think it’s the lowest scoring league on the planet.

Reactions: kp61c

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The KHL is a massively goalie friendly league. In fact I think it’s the lowest scoring league on the planet.
The current two SCF starters went through that "goalie friendly" league(technically Khudobin of couкse also played even before the KHL was found in the russian league). We can also include Varlamov as one of the three russians starters in the Conference Finalst to that list. Throw in Bobrovskiy and his two Vezinaz(and it's three Vezinas for the list with the Vasilevkiy's), Shestyorkin, Samsonov, Fracouz and Koskinen. Maybe the KHL's goalies are just that good. Hint: they are. I stated it on numerous ocasions. People forget the numbers game between the leagues. Only 87 goalies played this season ion the NHL. Only around half of them are legit starters. So by pure mathematics the best KHL goalies could easily be scratching the top 50 in the world(some of them would easily be in it). Do this game for forwards and it's top250-top300. Meaning that the talent gap between the leagues is way, way smaller for goalies than it is for skaters.

That means that if you are good enough to get starts and look as good as Askaov does in them at age 18 you are really good.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
People writing this kid off at 18 are idiots. This kid is an elite franchise goalie in the making.

Reactions: Gains

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
People writing this kid off at 18 are idiots. This kid is an elite franchise goalie in the making.
Agreed.It's why I'm so surprised most Wild fans are against drafting him at 9.If you have the chance to draft a generational franchise talent,you do it i don't care what the position is or what you have in your prospect pool.It's like Vikings fans that continually say its not the year to draft a QB because we're in a "superbowl window" or "There's other positions of bigger need"...

Reactions: cg98

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Honestly could see him going as early as #4 (though less likely) and don't see him going past Minnesota at #9.
Almost every team could justify taking him save for a team like the Rangers, Capitals or Panthers. But I think Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, Buffalo and Minnesota could easily justify taking him, even with some of the goaltending they already have within their organizations.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Honestly could see him going as early as #4 (though less likely) and don't see him going past Minnesota at #9.
Almost every team could justify taking him save for a team like the Rangers, Capitals or Panthers. But I think Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, Buffalo and Minnesota could easily justify taking him, even with some of the goaltending they already have within their organizations.

Wild at 9 makes a lot of sense too, actually. Good call. I am not sure NJ or Detroit would pass up the position players but that will just come down to internal scouting. Would be hard seeing Wild pass on Rossi/Perfetti/Lundell if any of them are available, with Lundell being the most likely obviously.

Should be a great top 15 or so, lots of intrigue.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The players who happened to be able to play and played well like Askarov likely to get a boost over some North American players who are not playing

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wild at 9 makes a lot of sense too, actually. Good call. I am not sure NJ or Detroit would pass up the position players but that will just come down to internal scouting. Would be hard seeing Wild pass on Rossi/Perfetti/Lundell if any of them are available, with Lundell being the most likely obviously.

Should be a great top 15 or so, lots of intrigue.

Wild have zero and I mean zero centers on that roster.

If Lundell is there he's a Minnesota Wild, Wild have Kahkonen looking good in the AHL(goalie).

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If you have far too many needs, why not take BPA? Do teams that are far from contention usually pick for need?

I love Askarov, I think he might be the BPA available at 7. But that's very debatable and just to err on the side of caution, I'd rather the Devils take one of the many available skaters that will also be there at 7. One of Raymond, Rossi, Drysdale, Sanderson, Holtz, and Perfetti will be there and it'd be tough to take Askarov over them. Like I've said before, it's unfortunate where the Devils' picks ended up as it's probably too early to get Askarov at 7 but too late to get him at 18.

And don't get me wrong. I think Askarov is an absolute stud and before we found out where the Devils were actually picking I was singing his praises on the Devils' board. If the Devils do pick him at 7 I could definitely see the reasoning, but I just don't think they'll do it and I'd agree with them in opting for someone else.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I love Askarov, I think he might be the BPA available at 7. But that's very debatable and just to err on the side of caution, I'd rather the Devils take one of the many available skaters that will also be there at 7. One of Raymond, Rossi, Drysdale, Sanderson, Holtz, and Perfetti will be there and it'd be tough to take Askarov over them. Like I've said before, it's unfortunate where the Devils' picks ended up as it's probably too early to get Askarov at 7 but too late to get him at 18.

And don't get me wrong. I think Askarov is an absolute stud and before we found out where the Devils were actually picking I was singing his praises on the Devils' board. If the Devils do pick him at 7 I could definitely see the reasoning, but I just don't think they'll do it and I'd agree with them in opting for someone else.

I really hope he doesn’t go to the Devils at 7. Askarov is the one player in this draft I don’t want to be facing many times per season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad