G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I strongly doubt this. They have Blackwood as their future #1. They have much bigger needs than goaltending. They need defense and they need wingers. Their best winger is Palmieri and there is a huge drop off after him.

In for trouble if they think Blackwood is a future #1.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think Blackwood tops out as a middle-of-the-road starting goaltender.

Is he a Vezina candidate? No.
Does NJ have enough other problems that they should not look goalie? Yes.

That's absolutely fair.. and I won't disagree with any NJ fan who thinks that another player would be better to take than a goalie, just that I disagree that they are "set in net" with Blackwood. If they took Askarov, they would be set in net without a shadow of a doubt.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
That's absolutely fair.. and I won't disagree with any NJ fan who thinks that another player would be better to take than a goalie, just that I disagree that they are "set in net" with Blackwood. If they took Askarov, they would be set in net without a shadow of a doubt.

Wouldn't mind him with our other 2 first rounders, but we just have far too many other needs to take a goalie at 7.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Can you elaborate on what you mean by #1. Because I would tend to argue Blackwood is a easily a starter right now if that is your definition of #1. If you mean future Vezina winner, then I'd agree, more than likely Blackwood is not NJ's future Vezina winning goalie.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Can you elaborate on what you mean by #1. Because I would tend to argue Blackwood is a easily a starter right now if that is your definition of #1. If you mean future Vezina winner, then I'd agree, more than likely Blackwood is not NJ's future Vezina winning goalie.

A goalie you would be comfortable hanging your Stanley cup hopes on.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He's played well at every level and has a .916 SV% in 70 games so far in his NHL career. Young guy who's 6'4" and moves pretty well. I can't see why he couldn't be the Devils #1 guy moving forward. Would be a better/cheaper option than most alternatives.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
A goalie you would be comfortable hanging your Stanley cup hopes on.
Hmmm. Goalie's are very hard to project, but at least in my eyes, I see a guy who's putting up slightly above average numbers in his 22-23 year old season in the NHL in front of the second worst defense in the NHL. Than in itself is quite impressive. Among 57 goalies who played 20 or more games, Blackwood was 20th in save percentage with a .915 and I believe I remember seeing him as third in high danger save percentage, but I cannot find the stat for that right now. Both of these, while playing on an awful team, are better than those of future Vezina winners Carter Hart and Ilya Samsonov last season who had the ability to play on great teams. Blackwood also possesses great size, athleticism, and he didn't really come out of nowhere. I don't see what makes Blackwood have any less potential than the two players above.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
3 career games in the KHL so far : 2-1-0 record, 70/73 saves, .958 sv%, 1.00 gaa.
18 years old...

I think there's a real chance he would jump right to the NHL in 2022-23 after his KHL contract is over. I think that makes using an early 1st on him a lot more palatable.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think there's a real chance he would jump right to the NHL in 2022-23 after his KHL contract is over. I think that makes using an early 1st on him a lot more palatable.
Will the NHL pay to SKA? Just asking ...

Reactions: teddygmr

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I like him more than Vasilevskiy at his age by just a bit. I think he should go top 10 and the only reason he falls is if enough teams get scared off by his position. I would be very okay if Detroit drafts him, though it means the rebuild will probably take even longer than currently projected.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He's either the next coming of Jesus or he will bust hard in the show imo.
secondcomingjpg-16979337f7f151c2.jpg

Behold!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Deen

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
A very unique opportunity this year for scouts to see guys playing in their D+1 years before the draft happens. In Askarov's case, he's able to show his growth at the professional level.

The WJC really hurt his ranking, but that's looking like ancient history now.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
This kid is so overhyped it’s ridiculous. He is going to have a tough time living up to lofty expectations.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What a difference a year makes. He could easily play in the NHL next season and get a team like the Sabres into the playoffs IMO.

Will they do it?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I like him more than Vasilevskiy at his age by just a bit. I think he should go top 10 and the only reason he falls is if enough teams get scared off by his position. I would be very okay if Detroit drafts him, though it means the rebuild will probably take even longer than currently projected.

Minnesota at 9, Jets at 10 are pretty desperate for C’s, and Florida at 12 just picked Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad