G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Man

Jun 21, 2019
Everyone gets threats on social media.

not sure if youre trying to make excuses for poor behavior or implying that these things should be expected. either way threatening people online over a hockey game is an immature thing to do. also the vast majority of people on social media have not been threatened. thats a pretty dumb thing to say so i will assume that was hyperbole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
should have played in the final. it was brutal to watch how Miftakhov was hypnotized by the puck on the fourth canadian goal.

Was a no brainer to start Miftakhov and he deserved to start based on how poorly Askarov played.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I think if he continues to play well in the VHL and has a good U18s he's still a 1st rounder.

Just to be factual he hasn’t played that well in the VHL. He is the 42nd ranked goalie out of 60 goalies. He will still go in 1st round due to hype.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Just to be factual he hasn’t played that well in the VHL. He is the 42nd ranked goalie out of 60 goalies. He will still go in 1st round due to hype.
922 save percentage in a pro league seems pretty good to me. What's he struggled with?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
922 save percentage in a pro league seems pretty good to me. What's he struggled with?

Making my point. .922 in that league is well below average. He is 42nd in save percentage out of 60 or so goalies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Askarov is 17, playing in a men's league. This isn't something given to you. You earn the opportunity by being good enough to play at VHL level.
Since the formation of the VHL, no other U18 goalie has played as much as Askarov, nobody comes close. Why? Because nobody has been good enough to. If they were they'd be playing. The objective is to win games here.

Vasilevsky, Sorokin, Shestyrokin, Georgiyev, Samsonov, etc. were all junior-level goalies at the same age. Askarov is also facing more goalie competition depth in SKA than any of the aforementioned players ever had to deal with.

Last edited:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I think you are underrating the significance of what Askarov is doing in the KHL/VHL.

He is the 4th U18 goalie in history to play in the KHL. Sorokin being the only one who played more than one game, although I expect Askarov to play for SKA again. He also the only U18 goalie in VHL history to play over 10 games. No he is not a world class starter right now for SKA but most goalies who get drafted don’t play in men leagues, unless they are in their D+2. Askarov is a 2002 born goalie playing in a men’s league. No one is expecting him to tear apart a men’s league, it’s impressive enough that he is up there.

Now that the KHL app is finally live in the USA, I went back to see his start against HK Sochi.

He didn’t have to break a sweat until the last 3 minutes of the game. Stopped a breakaway in the 1st, but shooter couldn’t get the puck up at all(not a problem on the 1st GA, got beat glove side low because his glove wasn’t low enough.)

Was very herky jerky when tracking the puck(looked like a handball goalie) can get him caught flat footed. Pad technique was odd, only did VM with left leg vertical whether on left post or right.

Struggled with tracking in traffic, had one off the post, two off his mask because he reacted late. Gave up a 5 on 3 off a Ovi 1 timer, body was there but the read and reaction wasn’t there.

Handled the puck a lot; the 1st time was good, any sort of pressure and it was a live grenade for him. I think he collected more dump ins than faced shots.

I know it’s only one game, I know he’s 17, but he looked like he’d get caved against any sort of quality shot volume.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Exactly a year ago Askarov almost single-handedly defeated one of the best USNTDP ever in the U18 WJC. It still is a bright memory for me, as I remember so well that I knew they aren't going to score oh him in that shootout, as when it started they all looked so terrified of him, it was a pure psychological dominance:

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Unfortunately he reminds me of a taller version of Marek Schwartz... If I had multiple first round picks...maybe.

He is wildly athletic...emphasis on wild movements ...That can be coached.

The aspect of his game that bothers me the most is how small he makes himself look in the net... that one is harder to fix. NHL shooters will pick him apart without some major changes to his game.

Reactions: Zaddy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's become the most underrated player in the draft. The disrespect people have thrown his way the second half of this season, and I'm not singling anyone out in particular, is pretty dumb.

He's a generational goalie talent. Is that player worth a top 10 pick? You can make arguments both ways, but there are people questioning his ability and saying he's only big and athletic. It's pretty dumb, in my opinion.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I think he's become the most underrated player in the draft. The disrespect people have thrown his way the second half of this season, and I'm not singling anyone out in particular, is pretty dumb.

He's a generational goalie talent. Is that player worth a top 10 pick? You can make arguments both ways, but there are people questioning his ability and saying he's only big and athletic. It's pretty dumb, in my opinion.

Saying he is a generational goalie talent is pretty dumb in my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saying he is a generational goalie talent is pretty dumb in my opinion.

I'm not looking to pick a fight and I try to give people the benefit of the doubt with discussions. Everyone might have one very hot-take. It shouldn't disqualify them from having respect shown their way in other discussions. But if you want to pick a fight, I'll say it how I see it.

Your opinions on this subject have been exceedingly dumb, in my opinion. Some of the strangest and most bizarre I've seen on this website. It makes one wonder what someone has against a player. You've placed at least 2-3 goalies in front of him, if I'm remembering correctly. That would make him a late 2nd, early third round pick, if I'm speculating correctly. Mind you, this is a consensus top 10-15 pick. What if someone suggested Alex Holtz was a third round pick? Would that seem crazy to you? And then what if that person chimed in on every discussion involving Holtz and criticized him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->