G Veini Vehvilainen (2018, 173rd, traded to TOR)

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Just watching him play in game 1 of the FHL finals, I would certainly take a chance on him in a late round - why the hell not?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't use a late round pick on him (Unless you don't need a goalie ofc). He is very promising.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I wonder if that shakiness is anyway bit overblown. It's well known that goalies develop slower and this season he has been very solid under pressure.
Yle had a good article about him: Kärppien ykkösmaalivahti on jäänyt hämmentävästi ilman NHL-varausta, vaikka torjui Pikkuleijonat MM-hopealle – vaikeudet kasvattivat Veini Vehviläisestä Tapparan tähdet nollanneen sankarin

It was huge disappoinment for him not to get drafted in 2015. He traveled to Florida only to see not to hear his name called. I can't imagine how big disappointment that was as he was amazing at the U18's that year and nearly stole us the gold. Moving to Kärpät was the best thing what has ever happened to him. There are some other thing also in the article. Very good read even if you translate it via google translate..

I have to root for the guy. He has been amazing this year and really deserves to get drafted, finally.

Reactions: llwyd

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Veini's team won the title and he got a shutout. I think he could be the playoff MVP. Someone draft him now, he has proven that he does not fold under pressure.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I can't imagine what has been going on his head. There isn't a better team to play with than in Kärpät. His dad died just before the playoffs and the team has been very supportive for him. He got to raise the trophy with the captain Kukkonen. He could've been the playoff MVP. If he doesn't get drafted or signed this year, I don't know why. So much potential.

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
His one bad WJC can't prevent him to be drafted still, right?

The guy went .949 at u-18, then got demolished at u-20 but then was great the following year at u-20 and now was great in Liiga for a third season in a row...

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Oof, forgot I had posted the thread and never really continued the discussion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina picked him up, they seem to have a Karpat connection.
Their 'player observer' is Joni Pitkänen who works from Oulu so it makes sense.
Has he got some mental coaching in Kärpät? If so, very impressive and I am excited about his future.
Ari Hilli, the goalie coach, has been lauded as a 'peoples coach' like Manner, the head coach. Hilli helped springboard Bäckström, Rinne, and Tarkki (a former, popular Kärpät goalie) to their respective careers.

Vehviläinen surely has gotten the support of the team and the coaches on his side and it's rare for us to win a championship without having a goalie roulette nowadays, he stood still and took the #1 goalie spot as soon as Rynnäs screwed up against Ässät in the 3rd game of the playoffs and never looked back.

He was the definition of solid but I think he can still work on his positioning and awareness.
Some goals he let in were bad judgment calls in the regular season and in the series against IFK and in the Finals he got beat by some long-range shots which obviously could have been caught on his best day. That aside, he probably was the reason we won the championship since he caught all the ones that mattered. His stats were stellar for the playoffs.
11 wins and 4 losses with 3 shutouts. A 93,33 svs%, 1.57 GAA. Solid. Real solid.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
f***ing ridiculous how many times he got skipped on by a lot less promising goalies. I wonder how badly he blew the psychology tests back in his draft year.... I mean this is a 21 year old goalie who was the best in Liiga last season..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad