G Veini Vehvilainen (2018, 173rd, traded to TOR)

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
After stealing the #1 spot from Jussi Rynnäs he has been lights out along with the team.
He has an impressive 93,87%SV along with a stunning 1.53 GA. He also has won 80,43% of games he's started. 4 shutouts which is the most in the league.
He leads every goaltending metric in FEL, and despite his awful WJC appearance, he has been head and shoulders better than Kaapo Kähkönen, who was the winning goalie in the WJC semifinal and the final.
Kähkönen hasn't played badly either, being #2 in SV% and #3 in GA, it's just that Veini has a huge lead on every goalie.
One knock on him is that he's gotten the 10th most shots in the league. He has gotten 235 shots less than Kähkönen.
All this after he went undrafted, and he was essentially abandoned by his former team as well, given how he didn't perform well in the playoffs and at times in the regular season.

Might be a solid pick in the later rounds of the draft next year.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I think he should have been drafted back in 2015 already and every year since.
Like seriously, would anyone still think he's not worth at least a 7th round pick? It has certainly gotten weird how no one seems to want him. Even though he didn't exactly carry his FEL team before, it still would be an ok gamble for a team to commit to.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Like seriously, would anyone still think he's not worth at least a 7th round pick? It has certainly gotten weird how no one seems to want him. Even though he didn't exactly carry his FEL team before, it still would be an ok gamble for a team to commit to.
His meltings at the WJCs probably have scared teams away. Good to see him doing well now.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Almost stole a U18 world's championships against very strong -97 born USA (had about 60 saves in a 2-1 OT loss). I would have selected him just because of that performance. He is still draft eligible? If not he should get few contract offers. At least he is on Ducks' radar as he has been on their prospect camp

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Almost stole a U18 world's championships against very strong -97 born USA (had about 60 saves in a 2-1 OT loss). I would have selected him just because of that performance. He is still draft eligible? If not he should get few contract offers. At least he is on Ducks' radar as he has been on their prospect camp
All players who will be 18 years old on or before September 15 and not older than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year are eligible for selection for that year's NHL Entry Draft. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible.
So yes, he should be eligible still as a 20 year old.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Hey all. Sorry if this has been already addressed on the site - I did some searching and couldn't find answers.

But noticed that Veini Vehvilainen, big goaltender from Finland, is draft eligible this year as an overager.

He's 21, meaning he's been passed up in 3 consecutive drafts - does anyone know why he's been passed up so many times? He's got some pretty decent numbers, is a good sized goaltender, and what little I've seen of him in international play, he's looked pretty darn good.

Any insight?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
He was in my top undrafted list every year he is been draft eligible thus far, which mean I think he should have normally been a late rounder pretty much every year, still worthy of being drafted again imo. I am sure most teams had him somewhere on their list for the last few years, but he simply wasn't ever the top player on their list to go far at the draft most likely. His situation is reminiscent to me of Sebastian Aho (the Sweden one), worthy of being draft every year, finally got taken in the 5th round as a 21 years old and basically went straight to the NHL. It just end up that way sometimes for some players, variance not going their way, I am sure if the draft would be a consensus order of every team list they would had been selected sooner. Other than that, unless you are an amazing goaltender, teams are reluctant to select smaller goaltender nowadays, 6'00" is on the smaller side in today's NHL.

Reactions: Fixxer

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's not that big. 6'0 and 180 + change is flat out small in the league for goalies any more. That said it's not so small that they can't succeed. Size wise he's about on par with Cam Ward, height wise with Quick but Quick has a good 30 lbs on him. Still he's a guy that I'd be very interested in seeing the Canes draft this coming draft, if only because I think he's shown enough that he could step right in from the draft and compete for the backup spot which the Canes need with how much of a shit show Darling's been.

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
From the WJCs I’ve seen him in he seems like he’s kind of soft mentally, he lets bad goals get to him a little more then they should. Just my opinion though

It has to be that! Great numbers to not be drafted.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I watched him last month, my only example of the whole "mentally tough" thing is that his glove was poked and he got really aggressive. It wasn't a game where this was happening constantly and he'd finally had enough; it happened once and he stormed up and got in his face.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is he still soft mentally or was that a thing when he was teenager?

We'll see in few weeks, but he was really consistent through out the regular season and barely let in soft goals.

As I've said before working with Hilli has done wonders to his technique, he is rarely out of position and makes most saves without much effort. His side to side movement, which was pretty terrible at the WJC's last year, isn't really a weakness anymore.

Still he wasn't a clear number 1 goalie since he and Rynnäs basicly both played 50% of the games when both were healthy. Interesting to see who ends up being the #1 goalie during the playoffs.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He has a reputation of not handling pressure well.

How bad is he at handling pressure? I mean, unless he just starts crying and has panic attacks when under presusre, it seems stranage that NO ONE has taken a change on him.

Has to be more than that though, no? I mean he's been overlooked so frequently in the draft I'm just assuming it has to be something bigger

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
How bad is he at handling pressure? I mean, unless he just starts crying and has panic attacks when under presusre, it seems stranage that NO ONE has taken a change on him.

Has to be more than that though, no? I mean he's been overlooked so frequently in the draft I'm just assuming it has to be something bigger
These opinions are based on how he played as a 18-19 year old in WJC. No shit a kid that age might crack a bit under pressure.

Reactions: LAINEC and Tak7

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
His meltings at the WJCs probably have scared teams away. Good to see him doing well now.

Yea this is what it is. There were fundamental flaws in his gameplay and it made complete sense for them to not draft him.

I love how HfBoards hated on him before this season and now they're all "oh my god I can't believe nobody drafted him in 2015 or -16" lol hindsight is 2020

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
These opinions are based on how he played as a 18-19 year old in WJC. No **** a kid that age might crack a bit under pressure.

It wasn't just that, he also wasn't fundamentally good back then especially in terms of his stance and the angled shots

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It wasn't just that, he also wasn't fundamentally good back then especially in terms of his stance and the angled shots
Others risk a late pick on some Russian, others pick a goalie.
It IS surprising that no one used a 7th rounder on him.
Especially those teams with huge goalie issues.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Others risk a late pick on some Russian, others pick a goalie.
It IS surprising that no one used a 7th rounder on him.
Especially those teams with huge goalie issues.

No it's not, dude I know it's easy to go full goldfish and say it would've been worth drafting him NOW in hindsight when he actually turned out to be good.

He just wasn't very good before and there were big fundamental flaws to his game which made it seem like there's no NHL future in him (unlike with goalies or players that have certain attributes like size, athleticism or IQ that make them intriguing to take a chance on).

He's just developed unusually well since then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad