G Ukko Pekka Luukkonen - Rochester Americans, AHL (2017, 54th, BUF)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Elite prospects says he has Pneumonia. To much time out in the frigid Finnish wilderness?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kid looks real good. I have him just behind Oettinger. Very goalie heavy draft this year. Lots of potential talent. With Vegas doing some goalie poaching as well as a few other teams looking to reload the pipelines we may see one or two go in the 1st round maybe and probably a fair bit in the 2nd. I could see Vegas wanted to snag Oettinger or UPL in the 2nd round if they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikingstad

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Most Finnish name I've ever seen.

He looks good.

He has a really cool name. Ukko basically means "old man" and Ukko is also the god of thunder in traditional finnish paganism. Ukko-Pekka is a nickname given to various cool objects like a locomotive, rifle and ship.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kid looks real good. I have him just behind Oettinger. Very goalie heavy draft this year. Lots of potential talent. With Vegas doing some goalie poaching as well as a few other teams looking to reload the pipelines we may see one or two go in the 1st round maybe and probably a fair bit in the 2nd. I could see Vegas wanted to snag Oettinger or UPL in the 2nd round if they can.

Yeah, I agree. I have it 1. Oettinger 2. Luukkonen 3. Zhukov, and I think all three are top 31 prospects in this draft. There are also a number of other goalies like Skinner, Dipietro, Tarasov, Scott, Eriksson Ek, Petruzzelli, Primeau. There really are a lot of good goalie prospects in this draft. Three really good goalie prospects, and then a bunch of others that would probably have been in contention as one of the best goalie prospects in another draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if like 7 or 8 goalies go in the first two rounds. This draft isn't that good, but it could be the best goalie draft in many years.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Want the Oilers to grab this kid. He's the real deal. We got no goalies outside of Brossoit.

Luukkonen in Oilers sounds good but somehow i have feeling Las Vegas or Dallas or Boston drafts Luukkonen somewhere TOP50 -TOP70.
Last Finnish goalie who played in Oilers was Jussi Markkanen.
But Oilers has already one Finnish goalie in their prospect pool yes i mean Eetu Laurikainen

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Want the Oilers to grab this kid. He's the real deal. We got no goalies outside of Brossoit.

For all the criticism I gave Dylan Wells last season and at the draft the kid has turned it around significantly. Right now he's the top goalie in the OHL in nearly every category possible....keeping that in mind though I'm of the belief that you should always draft a goalie at least once a season and if you don't hope there is a good one that slipped through the cracks of the draft that you can sign.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Played twice at the U18 5 Nations so far.

Saved 50 of 58 against USA. I'll have to check that game out in more detail, as I was looking for the goals the commentators kept saying he was making some brilliant saves.

Saved 36 of 41 against Russia. Team Finland seems to be getting completely destroyed in these games.

My expert analysis on seeing him play for 2 minutes: he is a very big dude.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Played twice at the U18 5 Nations so far.

Saved 50 of 58 against USA. I'll have to check that game out in more detail, as I was looking for the goals the commentators kept saying he was making some brilliant saves.

Saved 36 of 41 against Russia. Team Finland seems to be getting completely destroyed in these games.

My expert analysis on seeing him play for 2 minutes: he is a very big dude.

Only 5 or 6 players from that team should be on the final team at the U18 WJC so that was kinda expected.

Really interesting to see where Luukkonen ends up at the draft. Clearly the best goalie prospect from Finland in ages(besides Saros) and being nearly 6'5 can't hurt either. Could he go in 20th range or even earlier?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only 5 or 6 players from that team should be on the final team at the U18 WJC so that was kinda expected.

Really interesting to see where Luukkonen ends up at the draft. Clearly the best goalie prospect from Finland in ages(besides Saros) and being nearly 6'5 can't hurt either. Could he go in 20th range or even earlier?

I'd think 15-31 is his range.

Its a weak draft, so goalies could go higher than usual. I think there will be a run of goalies after pick 15. Maybe 3 or 4 of them, considering its a really good goalie draft, and not such a good skater draft.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I wonder if they let a player announce the pick in the draft if he is selected in the 1st round like Saad announced the Teräväinen pick :laugh:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Can't really say anything of how good he will become, goalies development is so unpredictable. Could become next Mikko Koskinen or Pekka Rinne... hoping for the latter.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Ukko Pekka Luukkonen's highlight video of Finland vs USA game 5 nations tournament in Sweden 8th February.

Edit sorry bad quality of the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad