G Topias Leinonen - JYP Jyväskylä, FIN JRS (2022, 41st, BUF)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I was very impressed by this guy at the YOG. He might be the next great goalie out of Finland.

Yeah Leinonen is promising young goalie and he was MVP and top goalie 2019 pohjola camp.
But those nominees are personal achievements and won't guarantee nothing to NHL.

Yes those nominees look good in Leinonen's resume when he comes draft eligible in NHL.
But for now Kari Lehtonen and Tuukka Rask are only Finnish goalies
who were 1st round draft picks and developed to NHL goalies.

So if Leinonen goes 1st round or even 2nd round in 2022 draft
he needs still to continue his development after his draft.

And because goalies needs more time than forwards and dmans to develop
it can take easily 2 to 4 yrs before Leinonen is NHL goalie after 2022 NHL draft
So anything can happen.

NCAA Hockey rules

Jul 1, 2021
I’m sure that the Finnish number one goalie at Team U18 will be Niklas Kokko. He was very convincing yesterday against Team Russia and Today he has been even better than yesterday if possible.

hyd3nSeek

Dec 27, 2020
Finland
He’s the top goalie in the upcoming draft, in my opinion.

Will he play in Liiga this season?
I think it's likely that he gets his debut this season in Liiga. Without injuries to other goaltenders I doubt he gets too many starts though. The "GM" of JYP is heavily favoring the current starter (Ruusu) already even though the tandem is pretty even. They sure will take the small media attention with his debut

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think it's likely that he gets his debut this season in Liiga. Without injuries to other goaltenders I doubt he gets too many starts though. The "GM" of JYP is heavily favoring the current starter (Ruusu) already even though the tandem is pretty even. They sure will take the small media attention with his debut

Ruusu has really bad stats, no idea why JYP is playing him so much. 7 games 3.03GAA .891%,

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ijuka

May 14, 2016
12 saves and 7 allowed goals.

Not really sure I personally would have picked Kärpät as his first opponent, this could traumatize him.

hyd3nSeek

Dec 27, 2020
Finland
His team JYP has a new goaltending coach which hopefully will help his development. I think the former goaltending coach didn't have the results when it came to developing prospects all the way to the NHL level. Considering JYP has had really good prospects like Perhonen, Ruusu, Vehviläinen and Rajaniemi which all are pros at european level but didn't quite get there. They also have had their best years elsewhere which makes me think he wasn't the right guy.
So I'm hopeful that the new guy gets the results this time.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I can’t belive he is that heavy, looks very frail for that weight.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Finland has produced a number of talented goaltenders in recent years. Widely seen as the top goaltending prospect in this year’s NHL Draft, Topias Leinonen has been playing in the JYP system. He played 21 games in the Finnish Under-20 league this year. Leinonen put up a 9-10 record with a 2.28 goals-against-average and a .916 save percentage behind one of the weaker teams in that league. He also made four appearances for the big club, playing in the SM Liiga, Finland’s top men’s league. Unfortunately, he struggled against men, putting up an 0-1-2 record with a 5.02 goals-against-average and an .825 save percentage. Leinonen has a short stint in the Mestis, as he was loaned to KeuPa HT. He went 1-1 with a 3.15 goals-against-average and an .861 save percentage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad