G Spencer Knight (2019, 13th, FLA)

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Spencer Knight

Spencer Knight from Darien Connecticut is playing terrifically on the U17 team and is having one of the better NTDP seasons in the programs history. A big part of the reason this years U17 team is so good, in first place in their USHL conference, and went undefeated in 3 international tournaments this year. Played his youth hockey Mi-Fairfield Rangers and Avon Old Farms. Committed to Boston College in a couple years. Perhaps he gets called up for the U18s this year. Seems to have a shot to, and I hope they do, be brought along as the third goalie for next years world juniors then maybe he could start the following 2 if all goes well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frannel

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Perhaps he gets called up for the U18s this year.

Doubtful he gets called up, and he's better off finishing the season on the U17 team. Drew DeRidder is doing fine for the U18s and would get the bulk of the playing time, while Knight looks like he's in line to get some USHL playoff games, since Team USA still leads the Eastern Conference. I wouldn't want to see Knight exposed to the sieve defense from the U18 squad, either. It could hurt his confidence. Goaltenders shouldn't be rushed in their development.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Doubtful he gets called up, and he's better off finishing the season on the U17 team. Drew DeRidder is doing fine for the U18s and would get the bulk of the playing time, while Knight looks like he's in line to get some USHL playoff games, since Team USA still leads the Eastern Conference. I wouldn't want to see Knight exposed to the sieve defense from the U18 squad, either. It could hurt his confidence. Goaltenders shouldn't be rushed in their development.

agreed, he stays down IMO. Let him keep getting games as opposed to sitting behind DeRidder right now.

Knight looks to be the best goalie we have had come through our system since Gibson - size, skill, technical ability, etc. the kid looks as legit as it gets so far.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was going to create this thread, but didn't want to create so many of these threads on the NTDP players. :laugh:

Knight looks like the early favorite for the first goalie off the board in 2019.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Yes I wasnt even thinking of the USHL playoffs and DeRidder is doing very well for himself. It's not often the NTDP is even in position to make the playoffs let alone first place. At the very least Knight's play is worthy of playing in the U18s but not needed like you all have said. I do believe though that he should be brought as the third goalie at next years U20. and not given to a 19 year old who will not play and age out like we did with Swayman this year. I think experience and multiple years will be invaluable in 2020 and 2021 if Knight in fact holds as his age groups best goalie.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

ha vindicated myself, Knight, Turcotte, Caulfield and York up with the U18s, I wonder if they stay through the end of the season. Looking at the schedule it may only be this game since both teams are at home and only the 18s are playing tonight, We'll see I guess

Last edited:

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
I'm a bit confused. The NTDP bumps up five U17s and then fills the bench with new players. I do understand Josh Nodler, but a 19 year old goalie? Jake MacLennan, born 9/23/98.
Can anyone explain this to me?

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
I'm a bit confused. The NTDP bumps up five U17s and then fills the bench with new players. I do understand Josh Nodler, but a 19 year old goalie? Jake MacLennan, born 9/23/98.
Perhaps they didn't want to make a kid move or change high schools for just the remainder of the season, so they opted for someone who's already graduated but still eligible for the USHL

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Those are temporary players. Sometimes they have to call on players on very short notice and their options are limited.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
They also demoted three players from the U18 team to fill spots -- goalie Jonathan Mor, defensemen DJ King and forward Erik Middendorf. Not sure why they needed MacLennan as a third goalie, unless either Cameron Rowe or Mor is injured.

Moving Knight up to the U18 squad does solidify the squad's goaltending depth going into the U18 WJC. I doubt they were comfortable with Mor as the backup in case something happened to DeRidder. Knight probably will not get as much playing time now, though. DeRidder has been solid all season -- he won again last night and is a perfect 11-0-0 in USHL play. I would assume Knight plays tonight, though.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Well, MacLennan dressed as the backup tonight for the U17 team, so either Mor is injured or something is up regarding his demotion from the U17 team. BTW, Cameron Rowe played an excellent game in net tonight for the U17's in their 7-2 win over Omaha, who are in first place in the Western Conference of the USHL. There was a large contingent of Omaha fans sitting in front of us tonight, and they didn't have much to cheer about.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He's been impressive all season playing mostly with the U17 squad. It's nice to see him get some valuable experience in this tournament. I do feel a little sorry for Drew DeRidder, though. He's played well all season for the U18 team, too.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I think this kid has franchise / superstar goalie written all over him, and I'll (boldly) predict he winds up as one of the 3-5 best players from his draft class.

Last edited:

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
How does he compare to previous NTDP goalies Gibson and Demko?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How does he compare to previous NTDP goalies Gibson and Demko?
Hard to say about Gibson since he's unable to stay healthy for a season and Demko hasn't played an NHL game yet I believe. I suggest that Knight is closer to the likes of Jake Oettinger where he probably won't be legitimate top 10 prospect for 2019, but still good enough to be a 1st rounder. Oettinger's best attributes are his bigger frame, but his very calm demeanor. Knight on the other hand still has issues in his game, but I would describe him as a more athletic version of Oettinger. Spencer still has a calm demeanor you want from Jake, but plays an athletic style similar to Semyon Varlamov. Perhaps not as fast as Varly, but more positional sound. Definitely the best goaler for 2019 draft as of now.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Hard to say about Gibson since he's unable to stay healthy for a season and Demko hasn't played an NHL game yet I believe. I suggest that Knight is closer to the likes of Jake Oettinger where he probably won't be legitimate top 10 prospect for 2019, but still good enough to be a 1st rounder. Oettinger's best attributes are his bigger frame, but his very calm demeanor. Knight on the other hand still has issues in his game, but I would describe him as a more athletic version of Oettinger. Spencer still has a calm demeanor you want from Jake, but plays an athletic style similar to Semyon Varlamov. Perhaps not as fast as Varly, but more positional sound. Definitely the best goaler for 2019 draft as of now.

Thanks!

As for the bolded, I was thinking more of how Knight compared to Demko/Gibson at 17.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks!

As for the bolded, I was thinking more of how Knight compared to Demko/Gibson at 17.
Don't really remember because goalers tend to get insane hype after amazing WJC performances as we've seen with Gibson, Pearson, and Campbell along with other European goalers. Like Gibson's ranking before and after the WJC was huge - nobody really knew him before. From my recollection, Knight should pair up nicely with Gibson, but I still suggest that he's similar to Oettinger.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
I think this kid has franchise / superstar goalie written all over him, and I'll (boldly) predict he winds up as one of the 3-5 best players from his draft class.
What makes you say that? What about his game do you like?

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
What makes you say that? What about his game do you like?

For me, it’s a combination of the physical tools he possesses and the confidence he exudes. He just seems to have the “it” factor which will take him far.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Knight reminds me of Gibson. Really polished, seems good mentally, about 6'3 and reasonably athletic. He's also played very well, including against older players at big tournaments. Probably the best goalie prospect from the US since Gibson. You could argue Oettinger, but I think Knight is farther along at the same age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was a beast today at the WJC summer showcase. Knight looks like the next 17 year old goalie who'll play at the WJC. Only goalie whose played at the WJC since Vasilevskiy as a 17 year old was Skarek, who didn't even play that well. Knight should probably be the US starter, although Primeau deserves the right to compete for the spot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
36 of 37 saves against the #3 team in college hockey. Here's a nice save he made.

Notice how he doesn't try to do too much. Squares up to the shooter, reads where the puck is going.

He has a very advanced approach to the game, but I heard an interview recently where he gave a good answer about what he's working on. It was something to the extent of he's working on staying quieter in net because the less he gives them to shoot at, the more saves he'll make. Smart answer and he already plays a quiet game. Usually draft eligible goalies are not good enough to where they are just refining little things like that. Knight could probably play in the AHL next season, if a team wanted to fast track his development.

Last edited:

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
36 of 37 saves against the #3 team in college hockey. Here's a nice save he made.

Notice how he doesn't try to do too much. Squares up to the shooter, reads where the puck is going.

He has a very advanced approach to the game, but I heard an interview recently where he gave a good answer about what he's working on. It was something to the extent of he's working on staying quieter in net because the less he gives them to shoot at, the more saves he'll make. Smart answer and he already plays a quiet game. Usually draft eligible goalies are not good enough to where they are just refining little things like that. Knight could probably play in the AHL next season, if a team wanted to fast track his development.

He reminds me a lot of Carey Price. Not saying that he is going to be him, but has very similar goaltending style. Everything seems effortless almost to the point where it looks like he's not even trying.

I think he's the best US goalie prospect we've seen since Gibson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->