G Spencer Knight (2019, 13th, FLA)

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
People think Askarov is more athletic because he has to make sprawling saves because he is out of position. That should not define athleticism. Give me a goalie in position and with good angles over a goalie that is sprawling and has to showcase athleticism any day of the week.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Speaking of, I wonder if Askarov will go even higher in the draft than Knight did. Askarov seems to have even more hype behind him.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Back to back shutouts as BC is rolling right now.
Stopped all 36** shots tonight and Providence had 7 PP's.
4-0 start with a sub 2 GAA and a nearing .950 sv %

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He put the clamps on this weekend!

If my math is correct, he's allowed only 15 goals against in his last 10 games dating back to late February/Early March this year/last year.
3 of those 15 goals came against in one game, a 3-3 tie that he had 47 saves and still sported a .931 sv% and 1.97 GAA

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
he's bounced back nicely after that disaster vs Russia. Not tested super hard but he's made all the saves and looks calm back there. however his puck playing is pretty bad, he's a turnover waiting to happen.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Very unfair to Wolf, he hasn’t let in a goal yet but he doesn’t get another shot to prove himself.
How is it unfair to wolf? Knight has always been the starter. He had a bad game against Russia and then made a statement by getting 2 shutouts in a row. Wolf had a shutout against Austria, I don’t know what you were expecting.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
How is it unfair to wolf? Knight has always been the starter. He had a bad game against Russia and then made a statement by getting 2 shutouts in a row. Wolf had a shutout against Austria, I don’t know what you were expecting.
Knight played terrible against Russia, Wolf came in and got them the win. It’s not his fault they played him against Austria, he hasn’t let in a goal yet. Knight got a shutout against a weak Czech team and the one against Sweden was nice. But Knights puck playing is abysmal and they should’ve run with the hot goalie.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Knight played terrible against Russia, Wolf came in and got them the win. It’s not his fault they played him against Austria, he hasn’t let in a goal yet. Knight got a shutout against a weak Czech team and the one against Sweden was nice. But Knights puck playing is abysmal and they should’ve run with the hot goalie.
I’m not sure if you’re realizing this but Wolf didn’t give them the win and no one knows for sure that he wouldn’t have let in goals either. They are running with the hot goalie, the one who has 2 shutouts in a row.

Reactions: violaswallet

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m not sure if you’re realizing this but Wolf didn’t give them the win and no one knows for sure that he wouldn’t have let in goals either. They are running with the hot goalie, the one who has 2 shutouts in a row.
He’s a Flames fan, and Wolf is a Flames prospect, so you’re likely not gonna win him over.

Seems a no-brainer to stick with Knight when he’s playing well. Going in he was considered a top 2 goalie in this tourney, he had a weak first game, but has been strong since, of course he’s gonna be the starter. Good goalies have individual weak games, at every level, but guys rarely lose their starting job entirely after a single weaker game.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
It was sarcasm. Of course he couldn’t get them the win, because of how horribly Knight played to get the game out of reach. No goals let in > 2 shutouts

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
He’s a Flames fan, and Wolf is a Flames prospect, so you’re likely not gonna win him over.

Seems a no-brainer to stick with Knight when he’s playing well. Going in he was considered a top 2 goalie in this tourney, he had a weak first game, but has been strong since, of course he’s gonna be the starter. Good goalies have individual weak games, at every level, but guys rarely lose their starting job entirely after a single weaker game.
Actually it usually happens about once per WJC, not to blow your mind or anything but in a 10 day tournament there’s not much room for error.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It was sarcasm. Of course he couldn’t get them the win, because of how horribly Knight played to get the game out of reach. No goals let in > 2 shutouts
He faced 10 shots lol against a team that has scored 1 goal all tournament so no that’s not impressive at all. Knight has 2 shutouts against teams that know how to actually score if given the chance. Knight > Wolf. The coach sees it the same way and I doubt he was drooling over that shutout against Austria which apparently is so impressive to you Becuase he’s only played 1 game and NEVER LET IN A GOAL EVA.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Actually it usually happens about once per WJC, not to blow your mind or anything but in a 10 day tournament there’s not much room for error.
Yeah, but Knight is arguably the top goalie in the entire tournament - top 2 at least. One bad game isn’t going to lose him the job, especially when he’s bounced back and played well since.

As a coach of a team, you have to try to predict the future when it comes to which goalie to play, and Knight is a good bet. I don’t see anything “very unfair” about him being chosen by his coach over Wolf.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
he's bounced back nicely after that disaster vs Russia. Not tested super hard but he's made all the saves and looks calm back there. however his puck playing is pretty bad, he's a turnover waiting to happen.
His puck-playing against Russia was poor, but he had a bad game and made one turnover that led to a goal. Do your research, his puck-handling skills are graded as excellent.
Ranking the top goalies in the NHL draft: How good is Spencer Knight?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Hard to call it a long leash when he had one bad game and then showed why he’s so highly touted for 2 games in a row. If he falters again then it could be made that he has a long leash.
Yep especially after the weird season with a long time off: Knight is one of the two best goalie prospects in the world and he had a bad game; it happens

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
He faced 10 shots lol against a team that has scored 1 goal all tournament so no that’s not impressive at all. Knight has 2 shutouts against teams that know how to actually score if given the chance. Knight > Wolf. The coach sees it the same way and I doubt he was drooling over that shutout against Austria which apparently is so impressive to you Becuase he’s only played 1 game and NEVER LET IN A GOAL EVA.
He played a period against Russia too, apparently you missed that part.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Yeah, but Knight is arguably the top goalie in the entire tournament - top 2 at least. One bad game isn’t going to lose him the job, especially when he’s bounced back and played well since.

As a coach of a team, you have to try to predict the future when it comes to which goalie to play, and Knight is a good bet. I don’t see anything “very unfair” about him being chosen by his coach over Wolf.
Arguably the best goalie? No, not even close.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->