G Spencer Knight (2019, 13th, FLA)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think either Buf or NYR are the team to pick him as they both already have 2 high end young goalies right now. However I could see a team taking a chance. It'll be interesting to see where he goes.
Up to each team to decide how comfortable they are with the progress of their young goaltenders. It's a deep draft for goalies as well. It's also important not to put all of your goaltending eggs in 1 basket. Canucks doubled down after taking Demko early in round 2 in 2014 by taking Dipietro early in round 3 in 2017. If you're looking for a goalie of the future, better have a backup plan if plan A doesn't materialize.

If a couple more non playoff teams secure an additional 1st, then I definitely see Knight going in round 1.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I could see Knight turning into the best player in this draft. Goalies don't get drafted in the top 10 anymore, but I think if you try to analyze which players in this draft have the most potential for their position and are the current best for their position, Knight would be top five. If you look back to the 2012 draft, Vasilevskiy was the best player in that draft class at the time of the draft, and had the highest potential. It was a weak draft of skaters with a generational goalie prospect. He's turned into the best player in the draft. I don't think Knight is as good as Vasilevskiy was, but I do think he has one of the better chances in this draft to end up as the best player.

I don't think Knight has had as good of a season as some of us expected. I thought he was bad a few months ago when he played Russia, and yesterday against Russia he wasn't great either. But thats assessing based on expectations. Against junior hockey players, his "bad" performances are average performances for other players. He's beyond this level of hockey. He hasn't quite lived up to the enormous expectations for this season, but some of that may be unfair. He didn't get a real shot to be the starter at the World Juniors, and while his stats aren't as good as his teammates at their position, a lot of that has to do with facing little traffic and a lot of high danger shots. He's had a few questionable games this season against Russia, but thats about as much as you could criticize the guy.

The way I see it, he's the best goalie prospect we've had. Aside from Gibson, we are lacking in top 10 caliber NHL goalies, so we need this guy to come good more than we need Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy to come good.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Your opinion may be an unpopular one given how the philosophy of drafting goalies early has changed in recent years, but I couldn’t agree more. Knight started the season as the second ranked player on my personal list, and has dropped no lower than third on my list since then. I like his potential as a future franchise goalie more than I like the potential of any skaters not named Hughes or Kakko to develop into a franchise forward or defenseman. And it would not surprise me in the least bit to see Knight have as successful a pro career as Hughes/Kakko.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He does everything at an elite level. Plays the puck like a pro, excellent puck tracking, positioning and vision. Not getting tested much today against Latvia but over the course of this season he has but himself into a position of getting drafted high. It's just which team is going to forego a highly ranked skater to take him.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Vegas would actually be a good fit for him if he is still there. Basically MAF until he is ready.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'm not one that is fond of picking goalies in the first round. But if it is done, then he would have to be a special prospect. Knight has the tools you want. Let's hope he lives up to his draft spot. If not, it was a big mistake.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I could see Knight turning into the best player in this draft. Goalies don't get drafted in the top 10 anymore, but I think if you try to analyze which players in this draft have the most potential for their position and are the current best for their position, Knight would be top five. If you look back to the 2012 draft, Vasilevskiy was the best player in that draft class at the time of the draft, and had the highest potential. It was a weak draft of skaters with a generational goalie prospect. He's turned into the best player in the draft. I don't think Knight is as good as Vasilevskiy was, but I do think he has one of the better chances in this draft to end up as the best player.

I don't think Knight has had as good of a season as some of us expected. I thought he was bad a few months ago when he played Russia, and yesterday against Russia he wasn't great either. But thats assessing based on expectations. Against junior hockey players, his "bad" performances are average performances for other players. He's beyond this level of hockey. He hasn't quite lived up to the enormous expectations for this season, but some of that may be unfair. He didn't get a real shot to be the starter at the World Juniors, and while his stats aren't as good as his teammates at their position, a lot of that has to do with facing little traffic and a lot of high danger shots. He's had a few questionable games this season against Russia, but thats about as much as you could criticize the guy.

The way I see it, he's the best goalie prospect we've had. Aside from Gibson, we are lacking in top 10 caliber NHL goalies, so we need this guy to come good more than we need Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy to come good.
I hope you are right!

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Florida just turned itself into a legit cup contender about 3-5yrs from now of they can get 2 solid defenders. The problem is there goes Bob though. He wants 10x7. You cant give him 7yrs with Knight there the kid needs 1yr in college just to dominate and put his name in the record books at every level before turning pro. But no way they pay Bob that kind of cash with this kid in the wings now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Florida just turned itself into a legit cup contender about 3-5yrs from now of they can get 2 solid defenders. The problem is there goes Bob though. He wants 10x7. You cant give him 7yrs with Knight there the kid needs 1yr in college just to dominate and put his name in the record books at every level before turning pro. But no way they pay Bob that kind of cash with this kid in the wings now.

It's going to take years before you put the pressure on Knight being(potentially) a legit starter in this league.

& Knights ELC/cheap 1st RFA contract in the case of Bob signing balances out Bobs UFA contract quite nicely.
Also landing Bob should just help Florida to get him under contract in the future.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
It's going to take years before you put the pressure on Knight being(potentially) a legit starter in this league.

& Knights ELC/cheap 1st RFA contract in the case of Bob signing balances out Bobs UFA contract quite nicely.
Also landing Bob should just help Florida to get him under contract in the future.
Knight is the closest thing to NHL ready since Price was in his prime. The kid could go in the AHL and be a top 3 numbers guy in October in 3yrs he should be flat out good to go andthat's not rushing that's giving him time to adjust to each promotion. I understand no wanting to rush and kill a players game but like I said he is as close to rookie ready as a goalie these days will get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad