G Sebastian Cossa - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2021, 15th, DET)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
27964.jpg

Name: Sebastian Cossa
DOB: 2002/11/21
POB: Fort McMurray, Alberta
Position: Goalie
Catches: Left
Height: 6 foot 6 ½
Weight: 210 lbs
Draft Eligible: 2021

2019-2020 stats: 10-2-1-1 record | 2.25 GAA | .922 SV% | 2 SO's | has faced 26.8 shots per game

Any Oil Kings fans wanna share some light on him, what kind of prospect he is/could be.

8-12-2019 8-37-16.jpg

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's got a chance of being a 1st rounder next year along with Wallstedt. Obviously is a big guy but is very athletic with quick reflexes. Has good positioning and cuts down angles well. Good rebound control and keeps his head in the game for the full 60. Late bday so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Canada's wjc team next year, especially if they bring 3 goalies again. He's been the biggest reason why Edmonton has been so good this year.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He's got a chance of being a 1st rounder next year along with Wallstedt. Obviously is a big guy but is very athletic with quick reflexes. Has good positioning and cuts down angles well. Good rebound control and keeps his head in the game for the full 60. Late bday so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Canada's wjc team next year, especially if they bring 3 goalies again. He's been the biggest reason why Edmonton has been so good this year.

He's been an absolute stud. I spoke about him in the Canada WJC 2021 thread. I agree, I think he's got a chance next year of being draft eligible member of team Canada just based on the fact that the crop is really slim pickings next year. He's the best undrafted WHL goalie since Hart. Easily. I think Hofer's making his mark but he's also in his draft+2.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Looking at his stats in the shootout's this season: 13/15 | 4 W 1 L
I think this is the goalie you Leafs fans would want...

2.13 gaa
.925 sv%
17-3-2-1 record

37 team points in 25 team games, almost 1.50 team points per game.
- yeah, i agree, reminds me a lot of Carter Hart.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
In his last 7 games where he has won a game: (of his last 8 actual games)
165/173 (0.95 sv%)
8 goals against (1.14 gaa)
25 shots faced per game

- he had 1 off (loss )game, where he allowed 4 goals (24 shots faced)

Reactions: slumpy43

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Listed at 6'6 by Hockey Canada. Doesn't turn 18 until November either, so it's very possible he's 6'7/6'8 by the 2021 draft. I think he's a very good prospect and looks like a first rounder right now, but none of the recent first round goalie prospects have been any taller than 6'3/6'4. There are some taller goalies in the NHL that are successful like Bishop, Koskinen, Dubnyk, Markstrom, but I wonder if NHL teams will hold his height against him. If you are picking a goalie first round, you might not compromise your philosophy. Some teams don't sign bigger goalies. I wouldn't doubt that he could have it held against him.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Listed at 6'6 by Hockey Canada. Doesn't turn 18 until November either, so it's very possible he's 6'7/6'8 by the 2021 draft. I think he's a very good prospect and looks like a first rounder right now, but none of the recent first round goalie prospects have been any taller than 6'3/6'4. There are some taller goalies in the NHL that are successful like Bishop, Koskinen, Dubnyk, Markstrom, but I wonder if NHL teams will hold his height against him. If you are picking a goalie first round, you might not compromise your philosophy. Some teams don't sign bigger goalies. I wouldn't doubt that he could have it held against him.

While that may be the case it seems quite ridiculous. You get a significant advantage in today's hockey by just being big. Just look at Koskinen for example, he's very mediocre in his movement but can overcome that because he's massive in stature. It's extremely hard to come by a goalie who has NHL level tools and that kind of size.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
While that may be the case it seems quite ridiculous. You get a significant advantage in today's hockey by just being big. Just look at Koskinen for example, he's very mediocre in his movement but can overcome that because he's massive in stature. It's extremely hard to come by a goalie who has NHL level tools and that kind of size.

Thats not always the case. Being big is an advantage in every sport, but if you are big and that compromises other areas of the game, it's not an advantage. Big goalies still have to limit rebounds, not let pucks go directly through their body, have good reflexes, catch pucks well with their glove-hand, show good positioning, and move well side to side. They may get a slight reprieve with how they track the puck and how quickly they recognize plays because they cover more of the goal and don't need to be square to the play as quickly as smaller goalies, but there are advantages and disadvantages to every style of play.

It's true that if you are 6'6 and the rest of your game isn't compromised, you might end up being a star in the league. Most teams don't draft 6'6 defensemen, but they'd obviously draft Hedman because he's the exception. I think it's too early to say if Cossa will be the exception, but the bigger he gets, the more I think he could limit the amounts of teams with interest in drafting him, especially if he's being discussed as a potential first round pick. I think NHL teams prefer goalies in the 6'1-6'5 range. Once you get outside that range, there aren't very many successful NHL goalies. Of course, if he projects like Knight or Askarov did with the tools of the position, it won't matter, but thats a potential consideration to watch for in the next year with Cossa.

Reactions: Dominance

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Sweet spot is 6'2-6'4 for goalies. Large enough to take up top half of net while in butterfly yet fast enough to move laterally in net. Speed is the game in the NHL now and you need goalies that can move post to post. The trend was for huge goalies but that has gone by the wayside as they seem to be so large they struggled moving laterally.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Thats not always the case. Being big is an advantage in every sport, but if you are big and that compromises other areas of the game, it's not an advantage. Big goalies still have to limit rebounds, not let pucks go directly through their body, have good reflexes, catch pucks well with their glove-hand, show good positioning, and move well side to side. They may get a slight reprieve with how they track the puck and how quickly they recognize plays because they cover more of the goal and don't need to be square to the play as quickly as smaller goalies, but there are advantages and disadvantages to every style of play.

It's true that if you are 6'6 and the rest of your game isn't compromised, you might end up being a star in the league. Most teams don't draft 6'6 defensemen, but they'd obviously draft Hedman because he's the exception. I think it's too early to say if Cossa will be the exception, but the bigger he gets, the more I think he could limit the amounts of teams with interest in drafting him, especially if he's being discussed as a potential first round pick. I think NHL teams prefer goalies in the 6'1-6'5 range. Once you get outside that range, there aren't very many successful NHL goalies. Of course, if he projects like Knight or Askarov did with the tools of the position, it won't matter, but thats a potential consideration to watch for in the next year with Cossa.

I agree with this and to add to this point. we shouldn't forget that Dubnyk and Bishop had significant struggles before they established themselves as starters.

Bishop went from STL -> OTT -> TB -> LAK -> DAL before establishing himself as a legit #1.

Bishops career transactions...

February 26, 2012: Traded to Ottawa by St. Louis for Ottawa's 2nd round pick (Thomas Vannelli) in 2013 NHL Draft.
April 3, 2013: Traded to Tampa Bay by Ottawa for Cory Conacher and Philadelphia's 4th round pick (previously acquired, Ottawa selected Tobias Lindberg) in 2013 NHL Draft.
February 26, 2017: Traded to Los Angeles by Tampa Bay for Peter Budaj, Erik Cernak, Los Angeles' 7th round pick in 2017 NHL Draft and a Los Angeles conditional pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.
May 9, 2017: Traded to Dallas by Los Angeles for 4th round pick (previously acquired from Montreal) in 2017 NHL Draft.

Dubnyk lost his game in EDM and went to NSH -> MTL (but played in the AHL) -> PHX -> before becoming a starter in MIN.

Dubnyk career transactions...
January 15, 2014: Traded to Nashville by Edmonton for Matt Hendricks.
March 5, 2014: Traded to Montreal by Nashville for future considerations.
July 1, 2014: Signed as a free agent by Arizona.
January 15, 2015: Traded to Minnesota by Arizona for Minnesota's 3rd round pick (Brendan Warren) in 2015 NHL Draft.

The point of this is that just because your a bigger guy, it doesn't mean you automatically have an advantage. These two examples had to grind for years to establish themselves as starters later in their careers. They didn't step in and take hold of the starter's job like a Price or a Hart, ect.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I agree with this and to add to this point. we shouldn't forget that Dubnyk and Bishop had significant struggles before they established themselves as starters.

Bishop went from STL -> OTT -> TB -> LAK -> DAL before establishing himself as a legit #1.

Bishops career transactions...

February 26, 2012: Traded to Ottawa by St. Louis for Ottawa's 2nd round pick (Thomas Vannelli) in 2013 NHL Draft.
April 3, 2013: Traded to Tampa Bay by Ottawa for Cory Conacher and Philadelphia's 4th round pick (previously acquired, Ottawa selected Tobias Lindberg) in 2013 NHL Draft.
February 26, 2017: Traded to Los Angeles by Tampa Bay for Peter Budaj, Erik Cernak, Los Angeles' 7th round pick in 2017 NHL Draft and a Los Angeles conditional pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.
May 9, 2017: Traded to Dallas by Los Angeles for 4th round pick (previously acquired from Montreal) in 2017 NHL Draft.

Dubnyk lost his game in EDM and went to NSH -> MTL (but played in the AHL) -> PHX -> before becoming a starter in MIN.

Dubnyk career transactions...
January 15, 2014: Traded to Nashville by Edmonton for Matt Hendricks.
March 5, 2014: Traded to Montreal by Nashville for future considerations.
July 1, 2014: Signed as a free agent by Arizona.
January 15, 2015: Traded to Minnesota by Arizona for Minnesota's 3rd round pick (Brendan Warren) in 2015 NHL Draft.

The point of this is that just because your a bigger guy, it doesn't mean you automatically have an advantage. These two examples had to grind for years to establish themselves as starters later in their careers. They didn't step in and take hold of the starter's job like a Price or a Hart, ect.
Bishop ABSOLUTELY was a #1 in TB

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
his size isn't going to be a bad thing lol. Some teams don't even look at drafting sub 6'3 goalies....don't think that's smart but that's on them. Cossa is very athletic and advanced for his age. Could be the 1st Canadian goalie taken in the 1st since 2012...and hopefully the 1st good one since Price.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Only 4 teams played so far but in a normal year he'd have quite a few of these. Still is very quick and athletic at his size, should go somewhere in the 1st.

I think theres a very slim chance he goes in the 1st. The only teams that will be looking for high end goalie prospects are Calgary, Colorado, Los Angeles, Montreal, San Jose, St. Louis, and Vegas

STL has Binnington whom is 27 so for them they still have a few years before they really need to look at drafting a goalie to set themselves up. LA is in a similar position, Petersen is only 26 plus they will be too high in the draft order. They may be in range to grab Wallstedt.

Then there is Calgary, and SJ whom at this rate look like they will be picking top 14 so theres no chance there. Either team may look at Wallstedt however.

That leaves Colorado, Montreal, and Vegas. Montreal at this rate if they make the playoffs will be an early exit thus will also be picking too high to consider him. They also have Primeau whom i'm not sure if they are still high on. That leaves Colorado and Vegas as the only teams picking late enough that they may take him.

There are a couple teams whom some may think may be in the hint. Those teams being Edmonton and Carolina. I can't see either team using another high pick on yet another goalie when Carolina drafted one high in the 2nd 2 years ago, and Edmonton has been spending 2nd and 3rd round picks on goalies every draft for the last 3-4 years.

Personally think he ends up being a high 2nd round pick. SJ has the best chance of all the teams needing a goalie, they should have the earliest pick in the 2nd round.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think theres a very slim chance he goes in the 1st. The only teams that will be looking for high end goalie prospects are Calgary, Colorado, Los Angeles, Montreal, San Jose, St. Louis, and Vegas

STL has Binnington whom is 27 so for them they still have a few years before they really need to look at drafting a goalie to set themselves up. LA is in a similar position, Petersen is only 26 plus they will be too high in the draft order. They may be in range to grab Wallstedt.

Then there is Calgary, and SJ whom at this rate look like they will be picking top 14 so theres no chance there. Either team may look at Wallstedt however.

That leaves Colorado, Montreal, and Vegas. Montreal at this rate if they make the playoffs will be an early exit thus will also be picking too high to consider him. They also have Primeau whom i'm not sure if they are still high on. That leaves Colorado and Vegas as the only teams picking late enough that they may take him.

There are a couple teams whom some may think may be in the hint. Those teams being Edmonton and Carolina. I can't see either team using another high pick on yet another goalie when Carolina drafted one high in the 2nd 2 years ago, and Edmonton has been spending 2nd and 3rd round picks on goalies every draft for the last 3-4 years.

Personally think he ends up being a high 2nd round pick. SJ has the best chance of all the teams needing a goalie, they should have the earliest pick in the 2nd round.

I don't think at the end of the first round that many teams are drafting for need.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

Despite using several picks on (and even trading up twice for) goaltenders, Edmonton still badly needs a bluechip young goalie prospect. Cossa would be perfect and there should be plenty of thought to taking him anywhere in the 12-32 range.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Montreal are pretty high on Primeau, not sure why you think that changed.

Montreal is definitely not in need of goalie prospects.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah if he keeps playing like he did tonight it won't matter how strong a team feels about their prospects in the crease he'll go teens or higher. Made some unreal stops tonight where he went cross crease quickly and just robbed numerous for sure goals. 2nd star tonight, Guenther 1st star. If he isn't Canada's starting goalie at the WJCs next year they made the wrong choice

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

He’s likely bottom 1st round pick. I believe the teams that would select him are CAR, COL, EDM and TOR. The other teams in need are drafting higher and likely pursuing for immediate need. Goalies require twice as long to develop 4-5 years.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
He has ridiculous numbers so far in the WHL. Undefeated in 6 games with 1.17 GAA and 0.956 SV%. First rounder for sure IMO, probably in the 20-25 range.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad