G Samuel Harvey, University of New Brunswick

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Saw that Harvey went to camp with the Hurricanes but was never signed and then played for the Varsity Reds last year, finishing 14-2 and putting up big numbers.

Not knowing the way Canadian college hockey works, is there a timetable as to when a pro club could sign him?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Saw that Harvey went to camp with the Hurricanes but was never signed and then played for the Varsity Reds last year, finishing 14-2 and putting up big numbers.

Not knowing the way Canadian college hockey works, is there a timetable as to when a pro club could sign him?
He is able to sign a pro contract at any time, many players will go to NHL/AHL camps, while their coaches pray that they come back! But I am not aware of any restrictions limiting a player from signing at any time. I believe there was a player in the OUAA this season sign and leave just before or during the playoffs.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He is able to sign a pro contract at any time, many players will go to NHL/AHL camps, while their coaches pray that they come back! But I am not aware of any restrictions limiting a player from signing at any time. I believe there was a player in the OUAA this season sign and leave just before or during the playoffs.
Mikkel Aagaard went from the OUAA to Wolfsburg in the DEL in 2020.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
As mentioned, he can sign a contract at any time.

Having said that though, at this point I would say the good majority of these guys are in “school mode” and it would take a really good offer to get them to leave early. Most will finish their schooling first and then go pro.

The last UNB player I can remember leaving for pro before playing 3-4 years is probably Kevin Henderson over a decade ago.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Yes, he did leave after 2 years, but for an AHL contract. He did 6 years in the AHL with a few NHL games and a handful of ECHL. He bounced around Europe the past 4-5 years. All in all he carved out a decent minor pro career.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Even though Canadian university players are true free agents, like the others have said, once players get into "school mode" most of them won't leave a good USports team unless they get an AHL one-way contract offer. All the good players know they can probably get an ECHL contract after they graduate, so why walk away from your education scholarship package? If university turns out to not be your things, sure, they might leave early for ECHL. Some players who have left early will negotiate a deal where they get a new education package after pro hockey to replace their Junior package, or to pay for online and summer courses while playing minor pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad