G Samu Perhonen - JYP, Fin Jr A (2011, 62nd overall, Edmonton)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I was going through old draft rankings, and saw this name and remember the decent hype about him. It looks as though the Oilers no longer hold his rights, is that correct? If so, what happened to him?

He was never very good to begin with. He only played 29 games in Finnish top junior league and somehow that was enough for all the hype and getting drafted. He has size but not much else.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
He ended up playing a few games in the USHL this season.
Saw him at the Oilers development camp. Agreed with above poster: size, not much else. His movements didn't look refined, and just didn't look all that great.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I ended up releasing him in my FHL. Him and Patrick Dovigi... I should never pick an EDM goalie draftee again. :) Sorry for adding no content, but it sure seems like #62 was a pretty surprisingly high miss on this guy as goalie picks go in the modern scouting era. :dunno:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I'd be curious to know where he ended up as well, since my only notes for him this year were in the USHL:

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/perhonen.html

Granted it was only eight games (and five decisions), but for a 20-year-old seeing just 23 shots per game, you'd expect him to put up better numbers than that (1.6 standard deviations below league average).

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Apparently "The Butterfly" is now the starting goalie of Kalpa in the Finnish Elite League. 12 games played with 1,82 GAA. Looks like some of you have been waving the bust flag a bit too soon. He is only 21 years old.

Is he a free agent now? (NHL)

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Apparently "The Butterfly" is now the starting goalie of Kalpa in the Finnish Elite League. 12 games played with 1,82 GAA. Looks like some of you have been waving the bust flag a bit too soon. He is only 21 years old.

Is he a free agent now? (NHL)

Wouldn't be the first goalie who is declared bust way too early. You have to wait till they are 25-28.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->