G Samu Perhonen - JYP, Fin Jr A (2011, 62nd overall, Edmonton)

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I would like to hear more about this big goaltender who plays in Finland. He´s draft eligible in this year´s Entry Draft. Perhonen is a big goalie at 6´3 and currently plays for JYP in Junior A. Does anyone Finn perhaps have an opinion on him? ISS told about Perhonen like this:

In a very difficult draft to read the goaltenders, one goalie continues to leap frog the competition. Samu Perhonen could now be considered the best goaltender available for this year’s draft. The big, rangy and athletic goaltender has improved drastically all season long and has left those who doubt his ability to continue to evolve red faced. Perhonen has the potential and the momentum to be perhaps the only goaltender of the 2011 draft who may crack the first round. The task may prove difficult as Finland’s 93 group is not quite as strong as the previous couple of seasons.

Latex*

Dunno anything about him really, but just his name makes him worth a high draft pick.

Can't think of a cooler name for a butterfly goalie.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Yeah people won't have a hard time thinking of a nickname for him.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Did not understand what you guys implied so I Google-translated "Perhonen" and it means "butterfly". I see now.

Intriguing prospect.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
It's rare to see such a big goalie (6'4'' at the moment) being this good at such an early age. That's it in a nutshell. His athleticism, focus and technical prowess should be a good foundation for future development.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Was likely a 2nd round pick before the U-18's and his performance likely hurt him atleast a little bit.

Oroku Saki*

Would love for the Devils to take him or Magnus Hellberg.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Bump. Goalie with really intriguing size, now listed at about 6'5 projected to go high in the draft before this somewhat dissapointing season. Could he turn out to be the best goalie of this draft class, where is he projected to go?

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Bump. Goalie with really intriguing size, now listed at about 6'5 projected to go high in the draft before this somewhat dissapointing season. Could he turn out to be the best goalie of this draft class, where is he projected to go?

His season overall was very good, only the 6 games in u18 WC's were bad for him. There was some rumour that he would've had some injury problems during the tournament

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His season overall was very good, only the 6 games in u18 WC's were bad for him. There was some rumour that he would've had some injury problems during the tournament

Yes he was horrible in the u-18 WC, didn't give his team a chance to win, is Ullberg considered the better goalie now? Also I would expect he'll be playing at the Jr.A level again next season? I don't know the goaltending situation with the JYP senior team.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Perhonen is slated to play for JYP's affiliate in FEL-2 next season, so Finland's second tier of senior hockey. JYP already has two goalies signed with former Bolts prospect Riku Helenius being one of them.

It's a tough comparison between Perhonen and Hellberg because of the age difference. There's no doubt in my mind that Hellberg is the goalie closest to playing in the NHL, but this is not a race of speed, it's a race of long-term quality. Anytime a goalie's got the size/technique combo it's a great start for a goalie, and nowadays when clubs more and more realize they need real goalie, they'll be even more attractive. That goes for both of them.

Latex*

Yes he was horrible in the u-18 WC, didn't give his team a chance to win, is Ullberg considered the better goalie now? Also I would expect he'll be playing at the Jr.A level again next season? I don't know the goaltending situation with the JYP senior team.

Ullberg??? Pffftttt.... No chance in hell.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Dan Stewart had this to say of his U18 performance:

“While he was not being looked to carry the Finnish entry in Germany, more was expected from the top rated European goaltender,†Stewart said. “He looked shaky and scrambled on multiple occasions and was outplayed by a handful of tenders.â€

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/perhonens-u18-struggles-raise-questions/

He dropped from 31 pre-tournament to 52 in our final ranking.

Good butterfly, technically sound, big, good side-to-side, needs work on his glove, overplays angles is the book on him.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
6 bad games doesn't deny his potential, and certainly doesn't make him worse than Ullberg. Obviously he's a long project, but he's 6'5 and is an athletic kid, who apparently is still growing. 5 or maybe even 7 years from now we'll see how he's turned out

Robin Lehner*

I think he is an intresting prospect. Big, and has a badass name :yo:
I hope Ottawa drafts him

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
He is:

a) Big
b) Finnish
c) Goalie

A big Finnish goalie. What more can you expect from a goalie prospect?

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Perhonen will be goaltender on the D-Team, finnish Mestis (second highest level of pro-hockey in finland). There he will get some good experience playing with men's. Its basicly JYP's farm team.

zeus3007*

Oilers take him!

I'm a firm believer that a team should draft a goalie every year, and this is three years in a row where the Oilers have drafted a good prospect for between the pipes. It sounds like he is a more long term project than some other guys but may end up being the best one. I've heard comparisons to Pekka Rinne, but haven't seen him play. Any more info from some people who actually have watched him play would be beneficial.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I was going through old draft rankings, and saw this name and remember the decent hype about him. It looks as though the Oilers no longer hold his rights, is that correct? If so, what happened to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad