G Pavel Francouz (2008 Undrafted; signed by COL)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by EXTRAS, Oct 20, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. EXTRAS

EXTRAS Registered User

Francouz was signed to a 1 year X 690k NHL contract this season by Colorado at 28 years old.

He is currently leading the AHL in save percentage and gaa. (.957%, 1.33) Although this is very early in the season.

The past 2 seasons he has led the KHL while playing for average team Traktor. (.946%, .953%)

Before this he came from the Czech league where he played for hc litvinov and lead the league in save percentage. (.931%)

I believe it is safe to say he is currently the best goalie in the world not playing in the NHL, although there are plenty of young prospects with potential.

Lemonlimey likes this.
  2. Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich AV AND GORTON OUT

Student
    Why do you think he's better than Shestyorkin?

3. EXTRAS

EXTRAS Registered User

Going off that he played the same league the past 2 seasons and francouz had about 20 points better save percentage each season than shesty.

Now he is leading ahl.

Shesty is not leading khl right now (close) while playing on a very good team. If he manages to keep up current stats over a longer period than 8 games I'd definitely say there is a very real argument for shestyorkin. He definitely has the potential.

Not yet, tho.

Lemonlimey likes this.
  4. BoxOfChocolates

BoxOfChocolates Registered User

Should be the backup behind Grubauer next year assuming Varlamov walks.

5. coopooter

coopooter Registered User

So how long until hes traded. Obviously he doesnt he didnt come here to play in the AHL other than getting used to the game and he's stuck behind Grubauer and Varlamov.
    Can't imagine the Panthers or Flyers not circling soon

Lemonlimey likes this.
  6. BoxOfChocolates

Avs aren't trading him with Varlamov's injury history

7. RandomAvsFan

RandomAvsFan Registered User

Varlamov is a free agent after this year, if he walks I assume we will roll Grubauer/Francouz next year. Highly unlikely we trade him.

8. RandomAvsFan

RandomAvsFan Registered User

9. coopooter

coopooter Registered User

You think they could keep him in the AHL the whole year? I think he would be asking for a trade by New Year if he keeps playing like this and doesnt get called up.

10. BoxOfChocolates

He had an interview this summer where he seemed pretty open to playing in the AHL to start. Now we'll see how long that lasts. Helps that he can stay in a nice place like Denver while in the AHL.

11. SoundAndFury

SoundAndFury Registered User

I don't think he's dumb to throw tantrums like that.

12. Pierce Hawthorne

Pierce Hawthorne Formerly Avsare1

He's not dumb. So no, I dont think he asks for a trade.

13. Freudian

Freudian Clearly deranged

He's fine where he is at the moment. He's only on a one year deal so if he earns a NHL shot he'll get it eventually.

14. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    If you are going to reduce this to who had a better SV%, I won't argue numbers with you, but I think there's more to it than that.

The best goalie isn't always the goalie with the higher SV% in a specific year. What about their SV%'s playing for their National Teams? Shestyorkin does much better for Russia than Francouz does for Czech Republic. Besides, Traktor had the fourth best defense in the league both seasons Francouz played for them, so while they aren't a perennial powerhouse in the same respect as SKA, CSKA, Magnitka, they've been one of the best defensive teams in the league in recent seasons. Some of that was Francouz, but surely its not all of it. To make it seem like he played for a pedestrian defense would not be a good representation of the situation.

And if you are going to reduce the discussion to SV%, what about Shestyorkin having a better SV% in a better league this season? Surely "best goalie outside the NHL" is fluid and isn't earned on reputation, given its an ever evolving pool of goalies. Shestyorkin hasn't even entered his prime. Francouz is in his prime. As good as Francouz has done, it is questionable why such a good goalie hasn't been able to stick yet in the NHL. Its not like Varlamov and Grubauer are the strongest tandem in the league.

15. Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore Don't Panic.

He's also a prospect for your team so that helps right?

16. EXTRAS

EXTRAS Registered User

I agree. Shestyorkin hasn't entered his prime. Hes played 8 of his teams 18 games in the khl. But I didn't state shestyorkin wouldn't be the better goalie in a year, or say he wouldn't be one of the best goalies in the nhl in 2 years. I said I believe francouz is the best goalie currently not in the NHL right now.

Also, shestyorkin wasn't even top 5 in the khl last season. And the other goalie on his team had a better save percentage. While, francouz had a save percentage 15 points better than his teammate goalie, and he was tops in the khl.

International play is difficult to judge, as typically Russia is much stronger than czech, and it's a small sample size.

I'm not sure this is something that needs to be debated by you. You are a big fan of your teams goalie prospect. Hes good - you should be. But let's wait until he puts up top stats in a league before bothering to claim he is best of the best - which he surely is projecting to eventually be.

17. BoxOfChocolates

Umm... they're up there.

Lemonlimey likes this.
  18. Wooren

Wooren #11

Russia is a better team, how is this a surprise?
    And no, it's not "questionable" he's not in the NHL. Why would Colorado waive an NHL quality goaltender when they can just send down Francouz? Why risk losing assets for nothing? Francouz chose a bad organization, but he belongs in the NHL. There are far worse goalies playing in the NHL.
    As for being the best goaltender outside of the NHL, I don't know, but everywhere Francouz went he was dominant. Czech second league, Czech Extraliga, KHL and now the AHL.

Lemonlimey likes this.
  19. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    Does Francouz play for your team?

I don't think so. Does the tandem include even one top 20 goalie in the league? These are back up/1B type of goalies. If Francouz is so good, he should have no issue breaking in there.

20. BoxOfChocolates

Well now you've just confirmed that you have no clue what you're talking about.

Foppberg likes this.
  21. Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore Don't Panic.

He does but I'm not pumping his tires. I don't know enough about him.

22. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    You also leave out that Shestyorkin was injured last year, and that lowered his SV%. This is why context matters. Over two years, he had the much better SV% than the guy who actually plays right now in the NHL between the "veteran KHL goalies" who tried to break into the NHL this season. You stated what you did in pretty unequivocal terms. Does Francouz have a case? I think so and you've made it for him, but I don't think its as open and shut as you are putting it.

23. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    What was the point of your comment? Doesn't seem to be that you wanted to add something intelligent to the discussion.

24. Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie You Serious Clark?

Came into a Pavel Francouz thread. Found a Rangers fan talking about his team's prospect instead.

25. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    So better team automatically equals much better stats? I think Czech Republic is pretty good, as well.

It seems questionable that we are told it's "safe to say" Francouz is the best, yet he can't beat out two 1B type goalies, one of which is in the final year of his contract. Shouldn't Francouz be as good or better than those two goalies? Or do you think the best goalie outside the NHL is a back up level NHL keeper?