G Logan Thompson (2015 undrafted; signed by VGK)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
6 foot 4 / 195 lbs

4 years in the WHL, went undrafted, went to Usports after WHL career,
then last season made his pro debut in the ECHL, 8 games for Adirondack.

Its only 3 games i know but the 23 year old AHL rookie, has had a great start.

3-0-0-0 record
1.66 gaa
.940 sv%

And sure, he plays for the Golden Knights AHL team, which is stacked this season
nevertheless, really good start.

Could be a good story, Goalie, WHL - Usports - AHL -> NHL? route.

Reactions: Hinterland

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Playing in the wrong league, faced almost 50 shots tonight, allowed only 1 goal.
in 12 AHL games this season has 10 wins, save % of .950, with 1.84 goals against average

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He has looked good, best in the league, but I think they're wise to keep him in the AHL this season, and maybe next as well. Goalies are weird, and Vegas can afford wait for the next year and a half.

Reactions: Dempsey

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He has looked good, best in the league, but I think they're wise to keep him in the AHL this season, and maybe next as well. Goalies are weird, and Vegas can afford wait for the next year and a half.

I think Lehner is a one hit wonder thou, Knights should let go of him ASAP. So, i don't think Vegas can do that.
+ Its not like Logan Thompson is a teenager rookie goalie or something, he is 24.
and i think he can jump to the NHL straight away, play really well,
there are worse goalies in the NHL what him atm

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think Lehner is a one hit wonder thou, Knights should let go of him ASAP. So, i don't think Vegas can do that.
+ Its not like Logan Thompson is a teenager rookie goalie or something, he is 24.
and i think he can jump to the NHL straight away, play really well,
there are worse goalies in the NHL what him atm

He's not better than Lehner today and as such he is better off playing 75% of the starts in the AHL.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
So is next year's duo going to be Lehner as the starter and Thompson as the back up?

Asking for my fantasy team!

Doubtful. Logan will be waiver exempt again next year and the front office has shown how they're willing to send someone down regardless of talent. I'd expect him to spend another season in the AHL as MAF plays out his final year.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
The way he’s playing this year, this kid’s too good for the AHL. Too bad he didn’t get a game when Lehner was hurt, would have been nice to see how he handled it.

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Is this in line with other star AHL goalies over the years (like say Jason Labarbera)?

Or is this something beyond?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
He's played 14 games in the AHL behind the best team in the league. Can we wait for him to burden a larger starter load at this level before we start calling him "too good" for the league?

If he's not developed properly, he'll get picked apart at the NHL level by shooters, let alone even be remotely capable to play 50+ games as a starter. Let him play another year+ in the AHL. He's 24.

Nothing wrong with an NHL game or two here and there though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
There was a great article in The Athletic about Thompson. It's behind a pay-wall, but there are few key points I can share.

1) Thompson has always been a very athletic goalie, but lacked refinement. He began to focus more on technique and that has helped him quiet his game.
2) He still shows flashes of athleticism, though, and displays what is referred to as "controlled swagger."
3) The reporter for the Athletic mentions some good-natured trash-talking between Thompson and Vegas sniper Jonathan Marchesseault in practice during Thompson's first call-up to Vegas -- when he saw a bit of game action. Apparently, Thompson was giving him the business after he flashed the leather and robbed him in drills.

Here's the link to the story, for those who have a subscription.
I'll share a screencap of the quote from his former junior goalie coach Tyler Plante.

Attachments

• Logan T.JPG
    Logan T.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: Son of Petter

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Playing in the wrong league, faced almost 50 shots tonight, allowed only 1 goal.
in 12 AHL games this season has 10 wins, save % of .950, with 1.84 goals against average
After not playing for more than two weeks -- he was called up to NHL and was on the taxi squad -- Thompson was returned to AHL and allowed just one goal on 27 shots as he "shook off the rust."

This is a good place for him to be right now because unless Fleury or Lehner get hurt, Thompson won't even dress. And even then, he won't play ahead of one of them. Henderson Silver Knights are in the Pacific Division -- the only division having a playoff in AHL this year. With 40 ECHL games under his belt, this will allow him to get some more AHL action the rest of the season. Next season? We'll see.

Reactions: G Backup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad