G Justus Annunen - Colorado Eagles, AHL (2018, 64th, COL)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Justus Annunen
Justus Annunen | FinnProspects.com

Finnish Junior Hockey.com comment
Annunen is a big, athletic 6’4 goalie who was the number one netminder for both Kärpät U18 and the U17 national team last season.
He is technically sound, has quick legs and looks very poised in the crease. Very smooth and has a quick glove. Just got invited to the U20 national team camp.

10 Goalies To Watch For The 2018 NHL Draft - InGoal Magazine

Much like Ukko-Pekka Luukonen in the last draft class, Justus Annunen could be a bit of a wildcard heading into this season.
The Finnish product of the Karpat system has been putting up excellent numbers in the junior B system, but hasn’t really been given a chance at the next level.

He also scuffled a bit at this year’s Hlinka Memorial tournament, which could hurt his stock.
Ideally, you would like to see him play in the Liiga against men, but that opportunity will be tough with Jussi Rynnäs and Veini Vehviläinen playing for the big club. Barring an injury to one of the top goaltenders, he’ll have to work extremely hard to make the pro team, and climb his way up the draft list.

His situation shouldn’t take away from his skill set. His 6-foot-3 frame is what scouts love to see, and he plays a more-aggressive-than-average style that is very common with this generation of Finnish goaltenders. The comparisons to Pekka Rinne are inevitable, but he differs with a much more modern approach to post-integration. If he manages to package it all together this season, he will be a high riser on the European goaltenders list. Even if he doesn’t, he will tempt teams later in the draft as a
potential steal candidate.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Great numbers in Jr-B. If he translate to JR-A, he'll probably be a 2nd-4th round pick. If he somehow translate relatively well to Liiga, I smell late 1st, early 2nd.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Playing time in Liiga would need a small miracle for him. Kärpät has Jussi Rynnäs and Veini Vehviläinen as their goalie duo.

No more needed than one longer absence due to injury for Rynnäs or Vehviläinen and then Annunen will get his chance to play in Kärpät's liiga team.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Invited to u20 camp after just playing jr.B? Is that at all normal?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I haven't seen him more than an odd game here and there but he's one of the goalies I like the most in this draft, which perhaps isn't saying much since I don't really like any of the other goalies in this draft. But in a weak goalie class I think Annunen is one of the better options you can bet on for sure. I've liked him more than Skarek in my viewings, but Skarek for whatever reason has been really poor internationally while posting good numbers in the czech leagues (in which I've never seen him play).

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finnish jr hockey (@FINjrhockey) | Twitter
Justus Annunen: A butterfly goalie who is mentally strong and demonstrates confidence. Has quick legs and lateral movements. Good positioning. knows when to be aggressive to cut down the angle. Lots of potential. #Kärpät #2018NHLDraft
DcMq1GUXUAAZ79B.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad