G Jakub Dobes (2020, 136th, MTL)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't see a thread on the Czech goalie, he's slated to join Ohio State next season. At the time of the draft I thought WTF were they doing picking this kid as his stats at least didn't look very promising but the same that scouted him also found Cayden Primeau who also didn't have very promising stats in his draft year either. I've been watching Dobes in the USHL so far this year and have to say I've been impressed, he's very aggressive in handling the puck and seems a bit hot under the collar as i'm starting to notice from the few games i've seen so far he does not like it when he gets bumped by opposing players and doesn't mind letting them know how much he dislikes it.

While it's very early in the season his numbers have been impressive to start.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only seen him play once this season, but he looked to have control over his movements. The goaltending in the USHL isn't great and most of the goalies take themselves out of so many plays and create goals against because their movements are very uncontrolled. Dobes looks like one of the few goalies in the league who isn't all over the place scrambling. He has control of his movements. I haven't seen enough to say more. His stats indicate he's one of the better goalies in the league, if not the best.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dobes finished the regular season,

lead the league in mins played (2588)
tied for 1st in wins (26)
3rd in save % (.908)
4th in gaa (2.48)
tied for 4th in SO (2)

Only 1 goalie was really close in mins played, aside from Dobes, only 2 other goalies played more then 2181.

He went 6-0-1 in the month of April. (12 ga)
March he was 4-4-1 (29 ga)
Feb he was 4-2-1 (22 ga)
Jan he was 4-5 (21 ga)
Dec he was 4-3 (13 ga)
Nov he was 4-2 (10 ga)

The 2 goalies ahead of him in Save% and the 3 in gaa, all were a year older as they all turn 21 next month or in Aug. Dobes turns 20 next month, so oddly enough, the top 4 goalies in the USHL, 3 of them were all born in May.

3 goalies tied for 1st in SO's with 3, 5 had 2

We'll see how the playoffs go but the real test will be how much net does he get at Ohio State next year.

But here's one thing to consider about his season. So the USHL is broken up into 2 conferences East and West. Due to covid they only played conference games. The West had the 2 best teams in the league in the Steel (Farrell) and Lumberjacks (Pitlick's team before trade). Out of the 6 teams in the West, 5 over 54 games all averaged over 200 goals. Youngstown was by far the worst team in the USHL but having to go up against such high scoring teams every night explains that.

In the East the best team if they played 54 games would likely have scored around 184 goal, the rest of the teams were in the 160-170ish goals per game if they played 54. The top 4 goalies in the USHL all were from the East. So the big question is how would they have done vs the West since they had the high powered offense. The top 4 scorers in the USHL were all from the Steel, the top 10 had 7 from the Steel and Lumberjacks.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
hoping he can be the starter for Ohio State, too bad they came in last place in the preseason rankings for the Big -10. Going to be very tough facing all those prospects in Michigan and Minnesota is going to be a top team in the NCAA most likely.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So far in 4 1/2 games (he came into a game a few mins into the 2nd) he's given up just 4 goals total. Not bad, not bad. Will have some vids very soon.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
from the 15th vs UConn, Dobes came in after the 6 min mark in the 2nd with his team down 3-0 to UConn, picked up an assist, made some big saves on a 5 on 3 PK, also made some big saves in OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomTask26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad