G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lou has a decent track record. I mean, if the guy could convince Fetisov to come over while being spied on by the KGB, I'm sure he can get this guy over.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't even think its a "rivalry thing" that will help get them to NY. Thats the easy angle with NY teams, rival KHL teams, competing for the same spot in Russian National Teams, but just from looking at what they post on social media, they seem to be very good friends. And we always hear how players on the same team or that have some type of connection are friends. Sometimes we hear that even if they aren't actually friends. It helps the storyline and all that, so they go along. In this case though, they seem to pretty much be best buddies. Whoever comes first, I think it'll help the other come over to basically have a very good buddy who has already adjusted to living in NY and can help out. That'll probably be a bigger pull than Lamoriello or Gorton will be.

To me, the rivalry angle doesn't even matter with this. There's a larger rivalry, but not for this situation. We aren't talking about one team adding McDavid and the other team adding an AHL level guy. Both teams have some players in the KHL (Sorokin, Golyshev, Iskhakov for the Isles, Shestyorkin, Rykov, Kravtsov along with Buch, Geo already in the NHL). If all these players help their teams to success and having a bunch of countrymen living in the same proximity as them helps out with their adjustment and any contractual situations that may come up, I don't see the issue.

I was watching on Amazon Prime a series about Man City. Sergio Aguero was explaining how he hangs out with De Gea of the rival Man United. They weren't even from the same country, but knew each other from playing together at Atletico Madrid and are native Spanish speakers living in Manchester. I don't see the issue with any of this. They aren't going to try any less hard against their buddies. I hope the Isles Russian guys come over to NA and help out the Rangers guys in adjusting.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I just meant "rivalry" in the sense that as Goalies they inevitably will play against one another and their game-play will be scrutinized relative to one another

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So Isles fans will have to cheer for Shestyorkin and NYR to do well, as otherwise Shestyorkin might advise Sorokin not to cross the pond. :D
Sorokin has said be is excited about Lou joining the isles and that he is also excited about playing in the nhl.

So,nah..... Isle fans won't be wishing Shestyorkin (sp) well

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Sorokin has said be is excited about Lou joining the isles and that he is also excited about playing in the nhl.

So,nah..... Isle fans won't be wishing Shestyorkin (sp) well

They are coming over within a season of each other I think due to contractual situations.

I think it would be kind of cool to have best buddies playing net for the Isles and Rangers. Think of all the marketing opportunities that can be had with it if it's played right also.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I don't even think its a "rivalry thing" that will help get them to NY. Thats the easy angle with NY teams, rival KHL teams, competing for the same spot in Russian National Teams, but just from looking at what they post on social media, they seem to be very good friends. And we always hear how players on the same team or that have some type of connection are friends. Sometimes we hear that even if they aren't actually friends. It helps the storyline and all that, so they go along. In this case though, they seem to pretty much be best buddies. Whoever comes first, I think it'll help the other come over to basically have a very good buddy who has already adjusted to living in NY and can help out. That'll probably be a bigger pull than Lamoriello or Gorton will be.

To me, the rivalry angle doesn't even matter with this. There's a larger rivalry, but not for this situation. We aren't talking about one team adding McDavid and the other team adding an AHL level guy. Both teams have some players in the KHL (Sorokin, Golyshev, Iskhakov for the Isles, Shestyorkin, Rykov, Kravtsov along with Buch, Geo already in the NHL). If all these players help their teams to success and having a bunch of countrymen living in the same proximity as them helps out with their adjustment and any contractual situations that may come up, I don't see the issue.

I was watching on Amazon Prime a series about Man City. Sergio Aguero was explaining how he hangs out with De Gea of the rival Man United. They weren't even from the same country, but knew each other from playing together at Atletico Madrid and are native Spanish speakers living in Manchester. I don't see the issue with any of this. They aren't going to try any less hard against their buddies. I hope the Isles Russian guys come over to NA and help out the Rangers guys in adjusting.
Iskhashov is playing at uconn

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
so reports of his decline in play were somewhat overstated, then?
This is stpid overhyping about top prospects. Every player has a low. The hype-crazy would go wild after one bad game though(and vice versa after a good game). Tonight was easy. AkBars seems to be still on international break mentally.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's played well today. Early onslaught from SKA, but he's withstood it. He's been the busier of the two keepers. The score might look close, but SKA has been the much better team today.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad