G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If I calculated correctly, Islanders are allowing 35.5 shots on goal per game... that would be switching from "beginner" to "nightmare" mode. :)

I'm honestly surprised it's that low. Many nights they have that many shots against by the end of the 2nd period. Very poor defensive structure (coaching) to go along with a mostly young defense.

Sorokin has to be considered the #1 goalie prospect, right?

He's in the conversation, absolutely in the top 3 or 4 without question.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eronko is full of .... He's had a number of those BS tweets recently.

You could be right, but he claims he talked to Sorokin. It's one thing to claim "anonymous sources" or something like that. It's another to say the person directly told you this information. I usually give reporters the benefit of the doubt when they say something like this, I don't like to think that they'd completely make something like that up, but it's possible he did.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You could be right, but he claims he talked to Sorokin. It's one thing to claim "anonymous sources" or something like that. It's another to say the person directly told you this information. I usually give reporters the benefit of the doubt when they say something like this, I don't like to think that they'd completely make something like that up, but it's possible he did.
I know a man can twist a phrase just enough to avoid a lawsuit, but turn it's meaning upside down. That's some journalists' bread and butter. He might have talked to Sorokin, Sorokin might have said something. I doubt Sorokin was that specific about management and Snow.

scott99

May 13, 2005
As an Isle’s fan, I can understand Sorokin’s lack of interest in coming to the Isles until they get their shit together. “I can’t wait to go play for the Islanders after Tavares leaves and play for the great GM Garth Snow”, said no one EVER.

Honestly, if we are stuck with Snow, the mandate should be to trade Sorokin’s rights at the draft. Along with Ho-Sang’s. Maybe a combo could get you a 2nd round pick.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Guys young and the money in the KHL is very good. Perhaps Sorokin will be more interested once the new arena is built. I'm sure it helps a lot to resign JT and LL influence has to be a positive but I Wouldn't be surprised if Shipyachev
Ordeal has a negative impact for other Russian players.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Lou certainly didn't work the Tavares situation perfectly but he may well be instrumental in the islanders getting Sorokin.

According to Eronko, Sorokin was displeased with Garth Snow and the islanders organization and this factored into his decision to resign.

Now we have this from NHL.com's blurb on the isles prospects:
Top prospects for New York Islanders

2. Ilya Sorokin, G

How acquired:
Selected with No. 78 pick in 2014 NHL Draft
Last season: CSKA Moscow (KHL): 37 GP, 25-8-4, 1.59 GAA, .931 SV%
Sorokin (6-2, 167) has two years remaining on his contract to play in the Kontinental Hockey League, but the Islanders remain confident they can get the 23-year-old to New York at some point. Sorokin has 67 wins and 23 shutouts over the past three seasons with CSKA Moscow.
"I've talked to him myself, and he's excited about coming to the National Hockey League," Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "I know that he was free to come (in 2017) and then re-signed. There's always different reasons why people do it, but I'm comfortable at the conversation I've had with him, and also his representative. We look forward to getting him sometime along the way here."

I know I know there were soundbites of Lou saying similarly positive things about Tavares, but hey, this is pretty good news for islander fans. Last word on Sorokin before Lou was brought in was rather grim, now it sounds like he will report for 20/21

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad