G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This kids putting up some great numbers this season. The KHL is friendly on goalie stats but still for such a young kid he's been a brick wall on one of the leagues best teams.

Sorokin leads the KHL in GAA (0.83), SV% (.960) and he's 2nd in SO with 6 in 13 games with a 9-3-1 record

Only 20 years old. From his highlights and playing style he reminds me of Quick stylistically

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Another win for Sororkin in consecutive starts. He only allowed 1 goal. He's beggining to look like his teams #1 which is impressive at his age and the fact that his team is one of the best.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Another win for Sororkin in consecutive starts. He only allowed 1 goal. He's beggining to look like his teams #1 which is impressive at his age and the fact that his team is one of the best.

Not disagreeing about Sorokin's impressive season, but his team being one of the best doesn't make anything more or less impressive.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not disagreeing about Sorokin's impressive season, but his team being one of the best doesn't make anything more or less impressive.

Impressive that one of the best teams has so much confidence in such a young goalie. As I understood the KHL isn't a league that respects many young players. Remeber how Petrov was always got a little TOI and played on lower lines? I could be wrong but that's what I thought.

It's also impressive because he's not costing them games. No matter how good his team is he still needs to stop the pucks in front of him and he's doing just that.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

Well he also had great #s as an 18 y/o when he played on the worst team in the league. Now he has 6 shutouts and a GAA < 1 which is still significantly better than the other 2 goalies (Galimov and Fasth, both respectable veteran goalies) whom he is battling for the starting job with, who have comparable # of games played. So relative to other goalies in the same skates, so to say, his numbers are impressive.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
He has continued his extremely impressive season, letting in only 29 goals on 28 games in the regular season and a a 0.99 gaa with a 95.9% in the playoffs is very good.
Anyone watching him play that comments on how he good he really is?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He has continued his extremely impressive season, letting in only 29 goals on 28 games in the regular season and a a 0.99 gaa with a 95.9% in the playoffs is very good.
Anyone watching him play that comments on how he good he really is?

For now he is better than Bobrovsky was at his age in the KHL. Yes, it's hard to compare Bobrovsky's game on a weak team with Sorokin's on a Cup favorite, but still...

Their numbers in Novokuznetsk were similar. On a good team Sorokin exploded to stardom. Bobrovsky clone;)

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
For now he is better than Bobrovsky was at his age in the KHL. Yes, it's hard to compare Bobrovsky's game on a weak team with Sorokin's on a Cup favorite, but still...

Their numbers in Novokuznetsk were similar. On a good team Sorokin exploded to stardom. Bobrovsky clone;)

I hope he comes over soon. Seems like the sky is the limit for Sorokin.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Koshechkin is injured for Magnitka. So now we don't get a direct comparison, but both Sorokin and Samsonov will start for their teams in the playoffs.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Koshechkin is injured for Magnitka. So now we don't get a direct comparison, but both Sorokin and Samsonov will start for their teams in the playoffs.

I am still pissed Samsonov did not get a start in that World Junior gold medal final.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How long is his contract over there?

I believe 2 more year after this one. He's had some interviews posted in the isles prospects thread.

His interview last year he talked about his dream to play in the NHL and wanting to be an islander.

His most recent interview since becoming a star in the KHL he seemed less enthusiastic about coming to the NHL. Either way, he still has room to grow as he's only 20 and still developing. He's a blue chipper though IMO. Even though scoring is less in the KHL than in the NHL his stats are still impressive. Especially for his age.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
You need to consider that he isn't only playing in the KHL, but for a powerhouse team that won the regular season championship and has a good and deep defensive roster. But Sorokin is talented, that's true.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You need to consider that he isn't only playing in the KHL, but for a powerhouse team that won the regular season championship and has a good and deep defensive roster. But Sorokin is talented, that's true.

His team is great but it's not like he's winning high scoring games. He has many shutouts and makes he saves he has too.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA

Sorokin - 28GP 1.06GAA .953
Fasth - 20GP 1.66GAA .921
Galimov - 14GP 1.51GAA .923

He plays for a good team but he's also miles ahead of the next best goaltenders on his team. Fasth was also a good NHL goalie.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Look to it also from other side. As a very young guy, he earned a top spot in the best team in KHL. :yo:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Believe me guys, there're few things in hockey I enjoy more than Kuzbassian kids succeeding, so I root like hell for Sorokin. I'm not trying to downplay him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad