G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Each time this thread is bumped, i get a quick excited feeling that he signed with NYR!!.. I realize he is still under contract in KHL but i still can wish haha

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Is he a better player than Samsanov or Sorokin?
How about Koskinen?

I don't know about Samsonov, but here is the best article comparing Shestyorkin and Sorokin.

Sorokin vs Shestyorkin: A Style Comparison - InGoal Magazine

Essentially Shestyorkin is very technical, very calm and very reliable. He plays a more reserved game and is not aggressive whereas Sorokin is all aggressive and always sets above the paint and relies on his athletic abilities and natural instinct to make saves.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't speak Russian, so I'm only looking through google translate, but the Russian National Team goalie coach conducted a long interview the other day. He questioned Sorokin's work ethic and said he hasn't improved the last few years. He said Shestyorkin is better right now and has a better blend of different skills, while he said Sorokin's technique isn't up to the level he'd like. I was actually very surprised to see him so critical of Sorokin. I think Shestyorkin is better, but I'm not sure I'd be so critical of Sorokin. I'm also not a professional goalie coach, so I don't pretend to know better than he does.

As for Shestyorkin, Davydov called him the best goalie/russian goalie in the KHL, not exactly sure which of the two. He said he didn't get to play the important games for SKA because he believes that players with a first goalkeeper contract should play that role. Therefore, he gave Koskinen those games. He also said if Shestyorkin was healthy he'd have been the starter at the Olympics. He made it seem like Shestyorkin will for sure be joining the NHL after one more season.

To answer the person who asked about how he compares to other keepers. In my opinion, he's clearly better than Koskinen. I don't think there's a real debate there. Koskinen had the bigger contract, therefore the bigger role, despite playing worse. Shestyorkin is the most polished of the three young Russians. Samsonov is probably the third best right now just because he's two drafts after Sorokin and one after Shestyorkin. Less development time. I think he has the best raw athletic tools of the three. Shestyorkin is the best right now, and probably has the best combination of goalkeeping tools. I'd rank it Shestyorkin/Samsonov as interchangeably 1, 2 long-term with Sorokin #3, but I think all three are very good and can be NHL starters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yes.

Next year will be exciting for the Rangers, as Shestyorkin, Kravstov, and Rykov will be expected to come over to NA.

Cant wait!!... Has Shesty made it known he is planning on coming over then? Or is it more/less hopeful thinking from fans?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Cant wait!!... Has Shesty made it known he is planning on coming over then? Or is it more/less hopeful thinking from fans?
I don't think he's ever mentioned explicitly coming over next year, but he's alluded several times wanting to come over to the NHL and play with the Rangers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nothing concrete, but its widely speculated that he'll join the team after this season.

The lack of a contract extension at this point would tend to point towards him not extending with SKA, and the goalie coach of SKA recently said he expects him to leave after this season. He's also not one of these players, like Kaprizov or Sorokin, who has made comments against his NHL team. He's really not said anything that would cause controversy, relating to the NHL. He's said the usual he wants to play in the NHL eventually.

He's also said his idol is Lundqvist, so that definitely helps get him over to the team. And then there are enormous Russian ties within the team that are around his age, whether its Buchnevich, Georgiyev or other prospects like Kravtsov and Rykov. He plays with Rykov at SKA, and he's played with Kravtsov for the Russian National Team. After Kravtsov was drafted, Shestyorkin congratulated him on instagram, and they talked about playing on the same team as each other eventually. He's played with Buchnevich a lot, and based on their instagram accounts, they were friends years ago. Not sure if they still are. Maybe so, although they don't comment on each others photos as much. He might also know Georgiyev, although I'm not sure.

But certainly a lot of connections within the team that will benefit getting him over to the team. The only thing I'd be unsure about here is that he's very good friends with Sorokin, and the Isles obviously are having issues getting him to join. Is Sorokin going to convince him to not move to NA next season?

As of now, fans are operating under the assumption that he'll join after one more year. No one knows for sure, so we'll have to wait until he makes his decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How long does NYR own the rights to this gem and is there any info on him wanting to play NHL

Draft rights until 27.

Nothing concrete, but its widely speculated that he'll join the team after this season.

The lack of a contract extension at this point would tend to point towards him not extending with SKA, and the goalie coach of SKA recently said he expects him to leave after this season. He's also not one of these players, like Kaprizov or Sorokin, who has made comments against his NHL team. He's really not said anything that would cause controversy, relating to the NHL. He's said the usual he wants to play in the NHL eventually.

He's also said his idol is Lundqvist, so that definitely helps get him over to the team. And then there are enormous Russian ties within the team that are around his age, whether its Buchnevich, Georgiyev or other prospects like Kravtsov and Rykov. He plays with Rykov at SKA, and he's played with Kravtsov for the Russian National Team. After Kravtsov was drafted, Shestyorkin congratulated him on instagram, and they talked about playing on the same team as each other eventually. He's played with Buchnevich a lot, and based on their instagram accounts, they were friends years ago. Not sure if they still are. Maybe so, although they don't comment on each others photos as much. He might also know Georgiyev, although I'm not sure.

But certainly a lot of connections within the team that will benefit getting him over to the team. The only thing I'd be unsure about here is that he's very good friends with Sorokin, and the Isles obviously are having issues getting him to join. Is Sorokin going to convince him to not move to NA next season?

As of now, fans are operating under the assumption that he'll join after one more year. No one knows for sure, so we'll have to wait until he makes his decision.

Reactions: bl02

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I think Shestyorkin and Sorokin both come over at the same time. It'll be fun seeing them between the pipes for both NY teams.

They are also going to ruin the rivalry. Since when has this city ever seen two bestie goalie buddies as starters for their teams? Would make for some interesting and funny commercials/ads if they go that route.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I thought he was finally going to be handed the reigns full time with Koskinen coming over. What gives? Is he dating coaches daughter or something?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he was finally going to be handed the reigns full time with Koskinen coming over. What gives? Is he dating coaches daughter or something?

Thats not how SKA operates. Doesn't exactly matter. He'll get half of the games, and he'll probably get the playoffs.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Thats not how SKA operates. Doesn't exactly matter. He'll get half of the games, and he'll probably get the playoffs.

I actually can't understand the way SKA operates this season. The only reason I see, why the Swede played before Shesterkin, is they wanted to get the other goalie going, but it didn't work quite well. I think, Igor is better and should be a starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->