G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He looked okay in limited KHL action. He was then sent down to the MHL for the PO and lost in the finals. Interesting career choice however, he resigns with SKA even though they extended their championship winning starter - Koskinen. So looks like he will spend the upcoming year in the VHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone watch him play recently? We get really good reports on him and he seems to have tons of potential, but he's currently the #3 goalie for SKA, which is a difficult position for a young goalie to be in. Starting for a bad KHL team might be a lot better for him. He seems to be way too good for the MHL and VHL as well.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Anyone watch him play recently? We get really good reports on him and he seems to have tons of potential, but he's currently the #3 goalie for SKA, which is a difficult position for a young goalie to be in. Starting for a bad KHL team might be a lot better for him. He seems to be way too good for the MHL and VHL as well.

He's 5-0 in the VHL and if I'm not mistaken has 3 shutouts in that span. He is in a ****** position stuck at #3 because SKA's starter/back up tandem (Koskinen/Ejov) is pretty solid. He needs to get a chance or be traded. The VHL is no match for him anymore, he's a capable KHL starter now.

This goalie is phenomenal, why isn't there more talk on him?

Fun Fact: Ilya Ejov came to a Rangers developmental camp like 3 or 4 years ago on a tryout. Didn't make the cut, however.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
His stats are legit, why'd he go in the 4th round?

He mostly played at MHL at the draft year, he is not huge in size and also I think it mattered that he is a late 1995 born, so he didn't have much exposure at junior NT level that year, and you don't expect scouts to remember that he was very good at U18 WJC a year before. :sarcasm:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Didn't Nylander blast him and say he's not that good at the WJC's ?

Either way makes you wonder why he's not in NA... Let me guess, KHL contract ?

he resigned this past summer with his KHL team. seems strange that he did so considering the goaltending talent/depth his team has.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's started the last two games for SKA, won both of them, got a shutout in one of them and played well in both of them.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don't get the doubt from others. This guy has been lights out in almost every league in Russia. He's only had a few experiences in the KHL, yes I realize, but this is pretty stellar, no?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's done very well when he's played games that are visible to most people to watch. I think most people just haven't watched much of him since he's been playing mostly in the MHL.

Hopefully he can win the #1 job with SKA.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Money? Maybe ?

It is weird if he knew he wouldn't play.

A lot of guys do this for SKA. Look at SKA's roster, they basically have several guys who don't dress every game who would normally be top players on other teams. The easy answer here is money... and a lot of it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't get the doubt from others. This guy has been lights out in almost every league in Russia. He's only had a few experiences in the KHL, yes I realize, but this is pretty stellar, no?

There is maybe to extent the comparison thing. Sorokin is getting much more expsure in the KHL and is doing excpetionally well too. That actually doesn't take anything away fom Shestyorkin, but Sorokin rght now is the talk of the league. Nothing unusual for goalies and prospects in geeral for that mater. They walk some different paths. At this point noone can actually tell with certainty who is going to have a better career.

Ever heard of a guy named Andrei Makrov? You certainly have about Vasilevsky. A similar story. Vasilevsky is the bigger guy, more talked about and has always got more exposure, while Makarov is pretty similar talent wise. But Makarov is now burried in the Buffalo pipeline, backstopping a pretty mediocre AHL team, while Buffalo keeps signing average veterans. Tampa on he other hand made a move and promoted Vasilevsky to the backup role.

The whole development path might affect Mkarov's future too and he might fall of the cliff after years in minor leagues never geting a real chance. I don't know. But I still consider him similarly talented to Vasilevsky.

Can only hope it works out for Shestyorkin and Makarov and they will emerge from the shadow of the always-considered-the-better-prospect guy.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
But I still consider him similarly talented to Vasilevsky.
and you were probably the only one to consider them similarly talented to begin with

Can only hope it works out for Shestyorkin and Makarov and they will emerge from the shadow of the always-considered-the-better-prospect guy.
not sure Shestyorkin has ever been in Sorokin's shadow. Unlike the latter, he was drafted the first year he was eligible.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
and you were probably the only one to consider them similarly talented to begin with

Nope. Maybe the hype in NA around Vasilevsky was blindng people. It's always the samewith North Americans evaluating Russians. From time to time they have some major blunders there missing really talented players. Everybody worth listening to in Russia always knew Makarov is that good.

not sure Shestyorkin has ever been in Sorokin's shadow. Unlike the latter, he was drafted the first year he was eligible.

Sorokin was always considered the better prospect. They also have just half a year between tem. Nothing to talk about. As for being drafted, yeah... Bobrovsky, Panarin. I don't consider NA scouts experts on russian players.

From he get go and until now Sorokin seemed to have the better karma. He's had better chances to play in the KHL in Novokuznetsk, while Shestyorkin was the star of the MHL but the edge was given to Sorokin due to KHL experience. Now Shestyorkin got traded to SKA and is a bit burried in their system while Sorokin gets the starts with CSKA and is the young star of the league.

They need to play on the same level for a period of time to compare them.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I wasn't tracking him but that is freaking impressive in any league. The mental strength it takes to be consistently on your game , game in game out is really something.

does anyone know what the records for GAA and S% are in the khl? I was wondering if sorokin is on his way to break some records this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad