G Hugo Hävelid - Linköping HC J20, J20 Nationell (2022 undrafted)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is he the best goalie on his team? I'm intrigued by this Lidö kid.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Big performance to deliver gold for Sweden at the U18. Undersized but an incredibly athletic.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He got himself drafted off of two games. Good job by him. Can't deny how great he was in those two games, but it's probably not a good idea to draft a player based off a best game or two from a player.

Which team is going to be the one to make this very questionable decision?

I think there's a good chance it may be the Rangers. They love overreacting to international play for team Sweden with picking Olof Lindbom and Karl Henriksson.

Schnurvel

May 16, 2012
Linköping
He got himself drafted off of two games. Good job by him. Can't deny how great he was in those two games, but it's probably not a good idea to draft a player based off a best game or two from a player.

Which team is going to be the one to make this very questionable decision?

I think there's a good chance it may be the Rangers. They love overreacting to international play for team Sweden with picking Olof Lindbom and Karl Henriksson.
Oh yeah, I'm sure he'll get drafted off of those two games alone. It's not like he's done anything else this season...

Screenshot_20220502-140824_Chrome.jpg

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wouldn't draft him.. his size is a huge knock and I didn't see the level of skating or explosiveness to overcome that as he moves up levels.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh yeah, I'm sure he'll get drafted off of those two games alone. It's not like he's done anything else this season...

View attachment 538945
5'10 goalie. You can put up those accolades, but how many players that'll get drafted this summer don't have some of those types of accolades on their page? He's third in J20 in SV%, so it's not like his numbers are anything unprecedented. He's had a good season, as all drafted players tend to have relative to a junior league, but doesn't seem like his season was anything extraordinary. I've watched him play a number of times prior to the last few days, and I thought he probably wouldn't get drafted. Didn't seem to be generating much discussion in this thread either, although that doesn't itself mean he wouldn't get drafted.

I'm sure there was consideration to draft him prior to the last few days. It's possible he would've been a very late pick prior to the last few days. I do however think the last few days drastically improved his odds to be drafted.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I wouldn't draft him.. his size is a huge knock and I didn't see the level of skating or explosiveness to overcome that as he moves up levels.
Maybe not in the first round but after that, why not take a flyer on him. The trend is to have 2 legit goalies these days anyway.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Maybe not in the first round but after that, why not take a flyer on him. The trend is to have 2 legit goalies these days anyway.

Cause you can take a flyer on multiple goalies with size and athleticism who have poor technique and have a better chance.

If you're small you need to be an explosive athlete and an elite skater. Havelid is neither.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
This year, all the best goalkeepers are around 180cm.

There are a few tall goalkeepers but they are not efficient.

I think we need to revise this size idea.
Everybody in the top 10 in sv% are 185+cm. Except for Saros who Hugo is the same height as. If we stretch it to top 20 then only one goalie is added: Francouz at 182cm.

In the top 5 there are 3 goalies at 192+cm, with Markström being the tallest at 197, so idk if I wouldn't call tall goalies efficient.

Now, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Hugo, & Mattias grow a few more cm(Niclas when playing was 182cm). But still a steep hill to climb. I would say betting on Hugo in a late round wouldn't be the worst idea, especially considering how his past year has been, not only did he lead Sweden to the U18 gold but he also led Linköping to the J20 gold in a match Djurgården was the heavy favorites(even before they added William Eklund!)

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Everybody in the top 10 in sv% are 185+cm. Except for Saros who Hugo is the same height as. If we stretch it to top 20 then only one goalie is added: Francouz at 182cm.

In the top 5 there are 3 goalies at 192+cm, with Markström being the tallest at 197, so idk if I wouldn't call tall goalies efficient.

Now, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Hugo, & Mattias grow a few more cm(Niclas when playing was 182cm). But still a steep hill to climb. I would say betting on Hugo in a late round wouldn't be the worst idea, especially considering how his past year has been, not only did he lead Sweden to the U18 gold but he also led Linköping to the J20 gold in a match Djurgården was the heavy favorites(even before they added William Eklund!)
His performance reminded me of Saros at 2014 WJC. So I think he'll be drafted in the later rounds.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

I know, but that's not the case in the class of 2022 that makes up the NHL goalkeepers of the 2030s.

There has long been a system that discriminates based on size. Currently, we see more and more small goalkeepers in the junior circuits and they are often among the best.

As great goalkeeper this year you have Topias Leinonen and that's practically all. A goalkeeper who has hardly ever reached the 0.900 efficiency mark. Then there is Nick Malik, 3rd year of eligibility.

NHL team's will necessarily have to take goalkeepers who have the size of Havelid this year.

Reactions: Guttersniped

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I know, but that's not the case in the class of 2022 that makes up the NHL goalkeepers of the 2030s.

There has long been a system that discriminates based on size. Currently, we see more and more small goalkeepers in the junior circuits and they are often among the best.

As great goalkeeper this year you have Topias Leinonen and that's practically all. A goalkeeper who has hardly ever reached the 0.900 efficiency mark. Then there is Nick Malik, 3rd year of eligibility.

NHL team's will necessarily have to take goalkeepers who have the size of Havelid this year.

Not really.

Teams can forego drafting a goalie this year. Goalies take a long time to develop and if you don't like any of them and think there's 0 chance they'll be a NHLer cause they are small and lack the athleticism/ability to make up for that, they will use their picks elsewhere.

Can easily sign a CHL goalie with a few more years of development who was passed over or a NCAA free agent goalie, if situations were so dire.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Not really.

Teams can forego drafting a goalie this year. Goalies take a long time to develop and if you don't like any of them and think there's 0 chance they'll be a NHLer cause they are small and lack the athleticism/ability to make up for that, they will use their picks elsewhere.

Can easily sign a CHL goalie with a few more years of development who was passed over or a NCAA free agent goalie, if situations were so dire.
As other selectable tall keeper there are just Maxim Mayorov, Domenic DiVincentiis, Tyler Muszelik, Paxton Geysel, Darren Hildeby, Ian Blomquist, Nicklas Kokko. A team will surely take Tyler Brennan, I will not.

There will not be only 10 goalkeepers selected. There should be 20. Fewer than usual.

It will be difficult to miss Hugo Havelid. There are smaller GK than the ones I listed but more effective.

Don't be surprised not to see 180cm goalkeepers in the NHL, if from the start, the selection is based on height.

If the NHL opens up more to goalies under 185cm, there will be more.

This year, the most effective goalkeepers are often less than this bar.

I think we are moving towards a more accessible NHL for smaller goalies.

Size is only important if it allows or prevents efficiency. More and more, the barriers are broken at all playing positions.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This year, all the best goalkeepers are around 180cm.

There are a few tall goalkeepers but they are not efficient.

I think we need to revise this size idea.
I think the best goalies are usually in the 6’1-6’3 realm. Don’t get why 6’6-6’7 goalies are picked so often. Some will turn into good players, but I don’t see how 5’11-6’0 goalies are any more risky.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the best goalies are usually in the 6’1-6’3 realm. Don’t get why 6’6-6’7 goalies are picked so often. Some will turn into good players, but I don’t see how 5’11-6’0 goalies are any more risky.
The taller you are the more net you cover, so even if your positioning is off, you can still cover a good portion of the net. If you are sub 6 feet, your positioning has to be on otherwise, you give up too much of the net. Hugo will get drafted, but could be late. Dustin Wolf from the W got picked in round 7 and he is sub 6 feet.

Hugo and Mattias, sons of Nik Havelid. Too bad Hugo didn't play D as I see he's a left shot, while Mattias is a Right shot. Would be a perfect pairing with a left and right shot. Though both are sub 6 feet and I don't know how many NHL teams pair 2 sub 6 feet Dmen together.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The taller you are the more net you cover, so even if your positioning is off, you can still cover a good portion of the net. If you are sub 6 feet, your positioning has to be on otherwise, you give up too much of the net. Hugo will get drafted, but could be late. Dustin Wolf from the W got picked in round 7 and he is sub 6 feet.

Hugo and Mattias, sons of Nik Havelid. Too bad Hugo didn't play D as I see he's a left shot, while Mattias is a Right shot. Would be a perfect pairing with a left and right shot. Though both are sub 6 feet and I don't know how many NHL teams pair 2 sub 6 feet Dmen together.
I don’t buy that. Tall goalies still will give up space to shoot at, if they aren’t technically sound with their positioning. Is it better to be tall? Yes, but there’s probably a reason why there aren’t that many good taller goalies. Don’t discount that. If we can talk about why there aren’t many sub 6’1 goalies, we should also talk about why there aren’t many good goalies taller than 6’3.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I used to think height was a massive massive advantage until I watched Gillies play this year for the Devils… guy is like 7’29” and still got best easily over his shoulders and up high . I know a tall goalie is important to make positional saves and gives less net for shooters to look at but now I’m not sure how important size is if the goalie is athletic and technically sound enough . Wolf and Saros are other examples of being undersized and still very good . However I think these guys are exceptions to this “rule” of talker = better . All other things equal , of cource I’d ho with the taller goalie though .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad