G Frederik Andersen - Frölunda, SHL (2012, 87OA, Anahiem)

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
It's really unfortunate for Carolina. It should be noted that Andersen stressed that they wanted him to come over next season and he didn't fancy that with the two NHL spots already filled and strong competition in the AHL (don't know who they got there). He feared "drowning" in the AHL without ever getting a real chance to make it in the NHL. Also a relatively young Cam Ward with a long contract and the rfa system that would tie him for 5 years without being able to switch team. So neither short term or long term there was any outlook of playing in the NHL by signing with Carolina.

Can't say I don't understand that fear. He has a starting job in the SEL guaranteed (and a contract to honour) and Carolina apparantly wouldn't let him stay for another year on loan. Many good prospects from Sweden and a few Danes have had their development ruined by being drafted by wrong team.

Also I'm sure Fasth's one way deal with Anaheim affected the decision. Andersen is just as good a goalie as Fasth and there's no apparent reason skillwise why he couldn't get a similar deal.

Again, unfortunate for Carolina but Andersen didn't really owe them anything. And if Boucher sucks so much as people say (I don't really know him) perhaps they should have given him that one way or allowed him to play one more year in Sweden instead of losing him for nothing.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
1 year in the AHL with Hamilton, the next one with the Habs to backup Price.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
If he feels that Justin Peters is "stiff competition", then he's not ready for the NHL, or the AHL for that matter, Peters blows. He has to think that Mike Murphy is still on the Checkers.

All we have is Ward, Boucher and Peters under contract, that's it. If he played well enough, he'd be guaranteed the backup job in 2013-14.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
JR statement

Rutherford clearly not happen with the advice Andersen's new agent gave him. Based on this statement is sounds like Andersen could have gotten the backup job this season by outperforming Boucher in camp. The outlook of him being on the Canes NHL roster, especially with Murphy signing in the KHL, was very strong. If not this season, then next.

I assume Andersen's problem was that if he didn't win the job this year they wanted him in Charlotte, which currently has zero goalies signed. Peters is a UFA, although at this point it would seem they would need to re-sign him.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
1 year in the AHL with Hamilton, the next one with the Habs to backup Price.

Doesn't work. Carolina offered him the same path (1 year to develop, then backup to Ward), but his agent convinced him that path wasn't for him.

He got bad advice.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
So what's his draft value then? He's gotta be in line with Valisevski at the very least, right?

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Doesn't work. Carolina offered him the same path (1 year to develop, then backup to Ward), but his agent convinced him that path wasn't for him.

He got bad advice.

Well, it's also about Cam Ward not going anywhere in Carolina. There are a few destinations where the number 1 is tough to knock off his throne and Carolina is one of those places for sure, along with NYR, BUF, LAK, NSH and a few other places.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
The Flames should be all up on this. With Kipper not far away from retirement, and no real successor that has established themselves yet as even a backup calibre goalie (Irving, Ramo, Karlsson, Ortio)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Well, it's also about Cam Ward not going anywhere in Carolina. There are a few destinations where the number 1 is tough to knock off his throne and Carolina is one of those places for sure, along with NYR, BUF, LAK, NSH and a few other places.

Price is younger than Ward, so the Canadiens won't work for Andersen.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I can name 14 teams that are completely set with their #1 goaltender for the near future, and about 6 more that may be set depending on how they feel about their current one (San Jose and Detroit, for instance).

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I can name 14 teams that are completely set with their #1 goaltender for the near future, and about 6 more that may be set depending on how they feel about their current one (San Jose and Detroit, for instance).

I'm not sure I agree, but if that's how Andersen views it, there are 16 others to pick from. Simple as that.

XO

Nov 4, 2009

He got bad advice.[/B]

How is that a bad advice? lol. It's a good one. Now he can pick whichever team that wants him.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
How is that a bad advice? lol. It's a good one. Now he can pick whichever team that wants him.

I've seen conflicting information, but he appears to have to re-enter the draft, so no, he can't pick whichever team if that is the case. He certainly could end up in a better situation, but he could end up in a worse one. Besides Ward, the Canes goalie situation is wide open past this season. The backup position could have been won by him this season, but if not, it would most likely have been his to lose for next season.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
This is his 23 year old season. Does that not make him too old to re-enter the draft even as a European?

Seems like any European player young enough to get drafted in the first place will re-enter the draft. If he goes undrafted, he'll be a free agent obviously.

In Andersen's case, he was drafted in his last year of eligibility, that's why he seems too old for the draft.

This year is the last year of eligibility for -91 borns(the year you turn 21, date cutoff extended to December 31 for overagers). If you go undrafted, you're a free agent. If you get drafted, you may re-enter the draft in 2014.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
As joe89 says, him being drafted makes this a different case than the usual 22-year-old.

Will be interesting to see where he goes. It's anyone's guess and because he himself has limited the amount of teams he'd like to play for, he might slip further than the other G prospect, even though you'd be very happy if Dansk, Subban or Vasilievsky were as good in 3-4 years as Andersen is now.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
It is very seldom that a player, who has been outstanding in an elite league, is NHL draft eligible. So it is difficult to imagine where Frederik Andersen will go in the draft this time. Potentially a NHL team could get a stating goaltender if not this season then the next, if he continues his development. The risk for the team drafting him is that the sample size is rather small. Even though his supporters would say he also played excellent the year before he came to Sweden, he can only claim one strong season in an elite league.

My guess is that he will be drafted high (top 50), and because of that he will be drafted by a team he would like to play for. I am sure interested teams will have a long talk with him before the draft to make certain they will be able sign a contract with him if they use a high pick to get him. As far as I understand, the team that drafts him will only have a year to sign a contract before loosing the rights again, and I can easily see Frederik Andersen play another year in Sweden, if he is not satisfied with the team who drafts him.

I don’t believe he is afraid to work his way up to be a NHL goaltender, as some has claimed. I believe he was afraid of ending up as a 2nd goaltender behind Ward and only get to play 5-10 games a year for the next 4-5 years. That would not benefit his development or his ability to get a contract with another team.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I don'T understand the reasoning behind these guys. Not wanting to sign with a team because of their depth? They don't believe in their own abilities? They just have to work harder to outperform the others. Or like I said, they really think they're not as good as the others.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
I don'T understand the reasoning behind these guys. Not wanting to sign with a team because of their depth? They don't believe in their own abilities? They just have to work harder to outperform the others. Or like I said, they really think they're not as good as the others.

Yeah, imagine that. A hockey player wanting to play hockey instead of riding the pine. I don't agree with Andersen's decision, but if he felt there is no way getting around Ward, then I understand why he doesn't do it. Signing with an NHL franchise is a huge risk for a prospect that is the guaranteed starter in the SEL. If you sign they have your rights for 5-7 years, and can ruin your career, sending you to ECHL or trade you to Alaska or whatever. Obviously you can't trust that an NHL team is going to make decisions on what is best for the player's long-term development. Many young players have had their career's ruined by clueless/selfish managements, and looking past the money and going with what is best for your career is honorable IMO.

Anyway, gonna be interesting to see what happens at the draft. NJ, EDM, Tampa could be possible destinations.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I would be unsure if I was Andersen as well. The SEL suits his game VERY well. He is a good goalie but I was surprised at the play from him when the forechecking got upped and the intensity level was raised as he played in the World Champs. Not like he was the same goalie. His calm just disappeared and he made poor decisions. A smaller rink would mean more intense games. Why not stay in a league where you know you will be a star and be sure to get the pay cheque your talent level is worth? Because in the AHL he would get less and play against worse players.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
I understand he will sign with the Leafs so he can be coached by Francois Allaire and he knows that there is a job available once he gets familiar with NorthAmerican rinks.:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad