G Frederik Andersen - Frölunda, SHL (2012, 87OA, Anahiem)

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
An update of his stats:

GP: 37
SVS%: 94,21
GAA: 1,62
SO: 7 (8)

Leading the goaltender stats with a huge margin to the second best. :yo:

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Andersen has been fantastic for Frölunda this season, but he's far from an NHL starter at this point IMO.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Unreal numbers, wow!

I'm guessing this guy's going to be starting in the AHL or backing up Ward next season for the Canes?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Unreal numbers, wow!

I'm guessing this guy's going to be starting in the AHL or backing up Ward next season for the Canes?

Carolina has something of a log jam of mediocrity at the goaltender position. Mike Murphy in the AHL has posted highly respectable numbers over his professional career and hasn't really done anything to merit a demotion. I would imagine the inside track to the backup position would be his, if it were open. Brian Boucher, who has barely been healthy for us this season, is the incumbent at backup.

John Muse, who is signed with Charlotte on a PTO, should likely get a contract offer from Carolina in the offseason. He has been wrecking the AHL after a strong career at BC.

Justin Peters, despite looking abysmal last season in the NHL, has given us all a modicum of hope that he might be worth keeping in the organization by virtue of some decent play this season except in the shootouts where he's only a moderate upgrade over an empty net.

With that said, Carolina will likely sign Andersen before July 1st and then bring him into camp to see where he stacks up against the rest of these guys. I would say the most probable scenario has him loaned back to Frölunda for another season to buy him more developmental time and to allow Muse, Peters, and Murphy to sort out who between them has a future in the Carolina organization.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
Bumping this thread because Frederik Andersen did not sign with Carolina before the deadline. Does this make him a UFA or does he go back in the draft? Either way, could be pretty interesting for a few teams.

Birthday is October 2 1989 and he has always played in Europe. Don't know if that means something.

Last edited:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Bumping this thread because Frederik Andersen did not sign with Carolina before the deadline. Does this make him a UFA or does he go back in the draft? Either way, could be pretty interesting for a few teams.
Well, the deadline is 6/1 5PM EST, so it hasn't passed yet.
I did see the article saying that he turned down an offer, so that likely nullifies the deadline.

As for if he becomes a UFA, it's possible.
Some believe that there's no age limit on re-entry players, meaning that he'd enter the 2012 draft.
There are others that believe that the wording in the CBA is a bit too specific and that there is an age limit, which would mean that he'd be a UFA since he's 22, turning 23 this calendar year.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Ahh, yes, my bad

He's too old. He's a UFA.

Well, either one of you could be right.
As I said, it's kind of a grey area and no one is really sure.
It became an issue after the Schultz UFA thing came out (some argued that he'd re-enter if he left before a certain date because there was no age restriction on re-entry players).

I've tried asking media people on Twitter before but I'm either ignored or am not patient enough (my account is private, so to ask I have to unprotect it and I don't like to leave it for too long or else search engines will crawl it), so I never get an answer.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Well, either one of you could be right.
As I said, it's kind of a grey area and no one is really sure.
It became an issue after the Schultz UFA thing came out (some argued that he'd re-enter if he left before a certain date because there was no age restriction on re-entry players).

I've tried asking media people on Twitter before but I'm either ignored or am not patient enough (my account is private, so to ask I have to unprotect it and I don't like to leave it for too long or else search engines will crawl it), so I never get an answer.

I've been looking for it too, but it looks like he will be re-entering the draft after all since he's European. His own words are that he will re-enter the draft(barring a sign & trade the next couple of hours), wouldn't make sense for him not to know his own deal.

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
I don't understand why he wants to leave. He would have the starting job in the AHL and a shot at over taking Boucher. Then Bouchers contract is up next year. I don't know of a team that is going to just hand him much of a better shot

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Isn't there still a little over 3 hours until the deadline?

He could still sign.

edit: Oops. Nvm.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

He could still sign.

It's already reported and done that he won't sign with CAR. He's gotten a contract offer but choosed not to sign it. Interviews are out. But they still have a chance to trade his rights.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I don't understand why he wants to leave. He would have the starting job in the AHL and a shot at over taking Boucher. Then Bouchers contract is up next year. I don't know of a team that is going to just hand him much of a better shot

His agent convinced him otherwise.

It sounds like he wants a place where he can develop in the SEL, then come over and take the starting job (or at least split). And with Ward here, unless he absolutely impresses, he is only getting 10-15 games his first year.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

He could still sign.

He's not going to sign. Negotiations are over between he and Carolina. Very disappointing to hear because his agent has been giving him terrible advice it seems. He wants a place where he came step into the NHL straight away and that does not seem like it's going to happen.

Carolina doesn't have a starter in their AHL club and only two goaltenders under contract and one of them is Brian Boucher, who considered retirement this year and is in the last season of his contract. The starter for Charlotte is slated to be John Muse unless Carolina resigns organizational fallback plan Justin Peters to an extension.

It just makes so little sense.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
His agent convinced him otherwise.

It sounds like he wants a place where he can develop in the SEL, then come over and take the starting job (or at least split). And with Ward here, unless he absolutely impresses, he is only getting 10-15 games his first year.

Isles should look into this, we just signed Nabby to a two year deal. After those two years its up to Poulin and Nilsson

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
If he thinks there's too much competition in the Carolina then it's not much different anywhere else in the NHL. It's not like Ward is some kind of super-starter, he's an average NHL starter at best (like literally, it's quite easy to see 15 other NHL goalies as being better than him).

outside of Tampa and Columbus, there's no easy paths to a chance to be an NHL starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad