G Frederik Andersen - Frölunda, SHL (2012, 87OA, Anahiem)

Fast Tony DeNiro

May 1, 2011
I know goalies are hard to predict, but does anyone have any info on this guy? He was drafted by Carolina in the 7th round last season as a 20 year old, been playing in Denmark the last few years. He was MVP of the Danish league in 09-10 and player of the year (not sure what the difference in awards is really) this last season.

He's got some past experience in the U18's, WJC, and World Championships. He signed with Frolunda in the SEL and will be starting there next season. Not sure how many fans of Danish hockey we have on these boards but I'm hoping someone's seen him play before.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
He is a big fella who uses his size an positioning. I read an interview with him a few days ago where he said something in the likes of "I don't make saves, I get hit by the puck. It's about being in the right position to minimize the percentage of open net." Maybe the quote is not entirely accurate but you get the point. And I think that sums up his game pretty well.

Going to Sweden is the obvious next step in his career and Frölunda which has some of the best youth development in the world is going to be great for him.

Fast Tony DeNiro

May 1, 2011
I've read in more than one place that he has potential to be one of those "out of nowhere" goalies that end up in the NHL. Would you agree that he possibly has NHL talent down the road? Or is that overblown a bit?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Well he certainly has the main attribute that NHL people look for in goalies these days. The guy is absolutely massive.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
I've read in more than one place that he has potential to be one of those "out of nowhere" goalies that end up in the NHL. Would you agree that he possibly has NHL talent down the road? Or is that overblown a bit?

Well, it's difficuelt to say if he has NHL TALENT. He is obviously huge and has a very sound mentality meaning he is very determined, calm and focused. You can't tell if he has let in 7 goals or none, his spirit is always the same. I think those two factors, size and mind are things that will bring him far. Things that a necessary for a seventh round goalie prospect to make it to the NHL.

When that is said, I doubt that his skills are good enough to make it that far. It's a little dififcult to say though, because he has been playing in the Danish league where he hasn't really been challenged too much. I would say that next season in Sweden will give us a pretty good hint on what to expect from him in the future. Over there, size alone won't do it so he will have to display his skillset too.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Big kid. Got that winning-mentality. You don't learn that...
Has always been on of the big prospects in Denmark, but his enterence in the Danish League got a bit delayed.
He has earlier been playing in one of the two biggest prospects-producing teams in Denmark, Herning, but could seem to keep the team from signing foreign keepers every season. They were a team who was in the race for the cup every year and there for had little desire to test out youngsters. Bit like Denmarks Red Wings :) That has changes btw...

Then he moved to Frederikshavn where he made it. That was at the age of 20. He won the spot on the WC-team last year, and was a big part of the surprice win against Finland.
His devolpment might have been delayed by staying in Herning, but there's no way of telling. Goalies normally comes out a bit later. Could also be a late bloomer. Now he is going to try making it in SEL. His preformance in Sweden will very much determinate IF he has a chance at making the NHL. Gotta say it's a longshot, but could be a NHL'er some day.

EDIT: Or what Sovand said...

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
HUGE game by Andersen today! He singlehanded kept Denmark at the WC for another year. If last years WC was enough to get him drafted, this year can only have confirmed Canes in their pick.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Magnus Hellberg(expected mid to late round pick this draft) and his goalie coach Michael Andreasson both signed with Frölunda aswell, and along with Andersen and the other goaltenders from J-18 to the men's team they will make a great team down in Gothenburg. If I would guess the plan is to play them as 1A, 1B until one steps up and become the starter.

Andreasson's philosophy is to make sure his goaltenders are in physical top shape, that's the key. He preaches small movements in net, shoulders straight up at all times and playing the angles. In other words, really modern goaltending technique that's based on doing the simple stuff good rather than overplay and flop around.

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
Andreasson's philosophy is to make sure his goaltenders are in physical top shape, that's the key. He preaches small movements in net, shoulders straight up at all times and playing the angles. In other words, really modern goaltending technique that's based on doing the simple stuff good rather than overplay and flop around.

Sounds something like what i think Andersen can improve in his play.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Sounds something like what i think Andersen can improve in his play.

i think it was the 2-2 yesterday where latvia played the puck from one side to the other and andersen shifted himself out of the crease and was not able to get back. he looked so slow getting himself up and back to the crease. the puck was already in the net when he was back on his skates. so yeah, if he'd learn to make a smaller move there, i think he would have saved that one. he's still pretty raw, but solid foundations to build on.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Goaltenders that are 6-4 and 230 lbs. don't tend to move too well laterally. They can usually get by on size alone up to the NHL level, but the higher you go the quicker you have to be. I think that was the adjustment period for Carey Price as well. Lateral quickness makes average goaltenders into great ones. We'll have to see how Anderson is able to improve as the years go by.

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
i think it was the 2-2 yesterday where latvia played the puck from one side to the other and andersen shifted himself out of the crease and was not able to get back. he looked so slow getting himself up and back to the crease. the puck was already in the net when he was back on his skates. so yeah, if he'd learn to make a smaller move there, i think he would have saved that one. he's still pretty raw, but solid foundations to build on.

exactly what i think. he need to get quicker...

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Well, Hellberg who is 6'5", but also only around 190lbs, has really good lateral movement. So I guess that's something Andreasson can really work on with Andersen then. Maybe Andersen just needs to drop some of all these pounds? On the other hand Robin Lehner is about Andersen's size but very athletic, so it might just be a case of technique. Hard to judge by looking at some numbers on a paper.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
After his 5 first SEL games for Frölunda Andersen has a GAA of 0.59 and a SV% of .976.

Now, I haven't seen him play yet, but those stats are really impressive, especially for a young, rookie goalie.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
He's been sick so far. Doubt he'll keep it up, but he's going to be a good one, nonetheless.

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
Sure he's been good so far. Not really tested yet, Frölunda have had a great defence so far this season.

Sidenote:
He's heavier than Douglas Murray :laugh:

Frederik Andersen (112kg/247lbs - 193cm/6'4")
Douglas Murray (109kg/240lbs - 191cm/6'3")

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I'll be the first one to admit I didn't like this pick when it was made but it looks like I may be eating crow in a couple of years once he transitions to North America.

JMcLeaf

This guy is having a unbelievable season. Seems like the sky is the limit for this huge dane.

If i read right he is playing behind a pretty good defense so I was just wondering how much is he getting tested in the games? 5 shutouts is very impressive but are they relatively easy shutouts? It always excites me to see a late draft pick doing well :)

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
If i read right he is playing behind a pretty good defense so I was just wondering how much is he getting tested in the games? 5 shutouts is very impressive but are they relatively easy shutouts? It always excites me to see a late draft pick doing well :)

His save% is 96,49%, that's out of this world. Frölundas defence is on paper not exceptionally strong, it was even discussed as a weak spot before the season started but the d-corps have played well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad