G Filip Lindberg - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2019, 197th, MIN; signed by PIT)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Even with the wild, this guy appears to be an afterthought, but his stats over the past three yers are hard to argue with;

1.60 - .934
1.91 - .927
1.33 - .946

Is now in the Frozen four with UMass. Is he under the radar because he is only 6'1"? Something wrong with his technique? Does UMass play an overly defensive style, inflating his stats?

Reactions: Digitalbooya

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Is he under the radar because he is only 6'1"? Something wrong with his technique? Does UMass play an overly defensive style, inflating his stats?

I like Lindberg, but there are three things:

(1) He plays for UMass Amherst - not a big school in the grand scheme of things. It's not like playing for any of the Minnesota teams or Boston
(2) He has never played more than 20 games in a season. He's more of a backup/1B goalie for UMass. His first season, he backed up Matthew Murray (who got the majority of the starts) and then they platooned. Think of him like Dwayne Roloson/Manny Fernandez.
(3) He hasn't played for Finland really either - he's behind Lassi Lehtinen and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen in 17-18 for national games. And then he's tied with Jasper Patrikainen in 18-19. He's kind of an afterthought nationally.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Even with the wild, this guy appears to be an afterthought, but his stats over the past three yers are hard to argue with;

1.60 - .934
1.91 - .927
1.33 - .946

Is now in the Frozen four with UMass. Is he under the radar because he is only 6'1"? Something wrong with his technique? Does UMass play an overly defensive style, inflating his stats?

(1) He plays for UMass Amherst - not a big school in the grand scheme of things. It's not like playing for any of the Minnesota teams or Boston
(2) He has never played more than 20 games in a season. He's more of a backup/1B goalie for UMass. His first season, he backed up Matthew Murray (who got the majority of the starts) and then they platooned. Think of him like Dwayne Roloson/Manny Fernandez.
(3) He hasn't played for Finland really either - he's behind Lassi Lehtinen and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen in 17-18 for national games. And then he's tied with Jasper Patrikainen in 18-19. He's kind of an afterthought nationally.

This isn't really correct unless I'm reading your response wrong. UMass has been climbing the ranks and is getting a lot of respect around the NCAA world these days mostly because of the Makar impact and coach Carvel who is fantastic. They've been ranked top 10 for pretty much 3 years straight and now gone to two straight frozen fours. Both times they've gone to the frozen four was on the back of Lindberg in net. Yes they platoon their goalies but that's only because Murray is also a real solid goalie at the college ranks.

I think the fact Lindberg goes to UMass doesn't hurt his value, but instead just means he won't generate as much attention as a guy who goes to the more traditional programs like BC, BU or some of the Minnesota teams. This doesn't mean though that he isn't one of the top goalies in college hockey. I think he's severely underrated because he goes to UMass. The other item, like the previous poster said is that he really doesn't get a ton of volume shot wise. UMass plays a very structured style of hockey and on most nights control possession and play, while keeping dangerous chances to a minimum. I think Lindberg has faced 30 or more shots only 3 times this season. I could see scouts who have only seen him play a couple times not coming away with an opinion that he "stole" the game. Don't forget that Lindberg did make the WJC and had a shutout in the only game he played.

Lindberg to me looks like an NHL goalie though and I think he will surprise people at the next level who haven't been paying attention to him. His technique and vision are very good and he has real solid positioning as well. Was a very nice late pick for the Wild.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

1.60 - .934
1.91 - .927
1.33 - .946

UMass is a big profile program these days. They've won Hockey East over BU and BC two years in a row, this year on the backs of a Lindberg shutout.

I don't think they play a particularly defensive style, they're just miles better than most teams they play against, and give up few chances.

Lindberg hasn't been a clear starter at any point, which has more to do with UMass just being fortunate to have two starter caliber goalies. Whenever Lindberg plays he's been excellent. I'd be excited if I was a Pens fan right now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
UMass is a big profile program these days. They've won Hockey East over BU and BC two years in a row, this year on the backs of a Lindberg shutout.

I don't think they play a particularly defensive style, they're just miles better than most teams they play against, and give up few chances.

Lindberg hasn't been a clear starter at any point, which has more to do with UMass just being fortunate to have two starter caliber goalies. Whenever Lindberg plays he's been excellent. I'd be excited if I was a Pens fan right now.

We are.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seemed like an unnecessary miss by Guerin, as was Menell. Guerin seems to take things personally if young prospects don't do things exactly the way he wants, and is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face.

So far, the reviews on Guerin are definitely mixed. Seems to be a control freak, who wants to get "his guys", which are usually aging ex Penguins.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Seemed like an unnecessary miss by Guerin, as was Menell. Guerin seems to take things personally if young prospects don't do things exactly the way he wants, and is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face.

So far, the reviews on Guerin are definitely mixed. Seems to be a control freak, who wants to get "his guys", which are usually aging ex Penguins.
I don’t think Guerin had any kind of control in this situation if I am understanding it correctly. Because he was a 20 year old draftee, he had the right to not sign and essentially become a free agent, he chose to execute that option because who wouldn’t want to be able to pick their team? The Wild didn’t have any obvious openings at the position and his former teammate is on the pens. It’s not like the Wild bought a ton of good will or anything either, he was a 7th round pick, not exactly a ringing endorsement, though that doesn’t really matter anyway when he has the option available to him to pick his employer.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bottom line is that Guerin wasn't able to close the deal on a prospect that should have been a slam dunk. They had space in the AHL if they wanted to go that way(they signed Hammond after Lindberg left, and Wallstadt was drafted afterwards, also). Doesn't fill me with confidence that he will be able to do more important things like sign Fiala to a good deal, nvm Kaprizov, nvm pull of an Eichel trade.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Bottom line is that Guerin wasn't able to close the deal on a prospect that should have been a slam dunk. They had space in the AHL if they wanted to go that way(they signed Hammond after Lindberg left, and Wallstadt was drafted afterwards, also). Doesn't fill me with confidence that he will be able to do more important things like sign Fiala to a good deal, nvm Kaprizov, nvm pull of an Eichel trade.

Again.....

Guerin may not have had any chance to sign him. How you can call this a "slam dunk" is ludicrous. If Lindberg doesn't want to play in Minnesota, the ball was completely in his court.

Reactions: MuckOG

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Two sides are required to sign a contract. There's little doubt that the path to the NHL is clearer for a goalie of his age in Pittsburgh than it'd be in Minnesota, so it's not as if he went to a team where he'll be fighting for playing time in the ECHL or anything.

The top Pens goalie prospects are in Europe, so he steps into a situation where Alex D'Orio is the only other NA-based goalie not on the NHL roster. Not much of anything resembling competition until the prospects come over, which likely coincides with a NHL job opening up with DeSmith's contract expiring. I can easily understand why both parties were interested in each other here.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They had space in the AHL if they wanted to go that way(they signed Hammond after Lindberg left, and Wallstadt was drafted afterwards, also).

Did you forget about Hunter Jones? They also liked Hammond as he is a decent goaltender, good locker room present. They also had Baribeau in the ECHL they want to bring up in the AHL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Did you forget about Hunter Jones? They also liked Hammond as he is a decent goaltender, good locker room present. They also had Baribeau in the ECHL they want to bring up in the AHL.
Nope, didn't forget. Also have that huge guy, Kozlewski, or something. Just seemed like Lindberg might've been talented, but that's based solely on stat watching. With the draft of Wallstedt, all this becomes moot, anyway...hopefully.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Nope, didn't forget. Also have that huge guy, Kozlewski, or something. Just seemed like Lindberg might've been talented, but that's based solely on stat watching. With the draft of Wallstedt, all this becomes moot, anyway...hopefully.

Lindberg was low on the pecking order unfortunately and not a priority. Khakonen, Jones, Baribeau were all ahead of Lindberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad