G Elijah Neuenschwander - Fribourg Gottéron, U20-Elit (2025 Draft)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

This big, athletic Swiss goalie somehow doesn't seem to have a thread so I figured I just create one.

Probably the most talented of the very promising Swiss 06 goalie group (also featuring Solér, Kirsch and Lachat). Had back to back shutouts for Switzerland at the youth olympics last season.

Also just backstopped a rather weak Swiss 05 group to wins over Sweden and Finland in the Kloten tournament stopping 66 of 67 shots. Not the strongest teams for Sweden and Finland either but Neuenschwander was actually the lone 06 born player on both lineup cards. He's a late birthday as well, therefore not draft eligible until 2025.

Got his first taste of men's hockey just ahead of the tournament and won two games with EHC Chur giving up just one goal.

Brother Jonah could be one of the more interesting forwards available in the 2027 draft:

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Seems like an interesting prospect. seems like 2025 could have a few goaltenders. How does he compare so far. He has some size

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Seems like an interesting prospect. seems like 2025 could have a few goaltenders. How does he compare so far. He has some size

Compare to who you mean?
Compared to his fellow 06 born Swiss goalie prospects I still think Neuenschwander has the highest upside though Phileas Lachat really has come a long way. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Christian Kirsch is overrated but his league play has to be seen in perspective because of the team ahead of him. Also, his international play has been questionable at best. I'm not worried about him but unlike Neuenschwander and Lachat he's definitely still a project and far from a finished product. For the upcoming WJC18 I'd definitely lean on Neuenschwander and Lachat, not Kirsch who can't be trusted yet. I'd also consider selecting Solèr over Kirsch as nr.3.

Neuenschwander and Lachat are fairly similar I think. Very similar stylewise, very similar bodies as well. Both tall, lanky, athletic goalies with excellent technique. I didn't really realize how good Lachat is until this season but though he came out of nowhere (for me) I have to admir that he's really impressive. I think the only area where Neuenschwander has a clear edge is positioning. Neuenschwander's positioning is really impressive for such a young goalie. He's hardly ever scrambling, is barely moving because he simply doesn't have to. Lachat's positioning is good as well not quite on Neuenschwander's level. He does make up for it with flashy saves though. He's definitely more flashy than Neuenschwander. Both of them are fairly consistent already. Neuenschwander does give up a soft goal here and then but doesn't seem to get rattled by it, seems to be mentally strong.

I'm not a fan of comparing prospects to finished players and I'm also not good at those comparisons so I can't really do that. As I said I think that he's the most gifted Swiss 06 goalie prospect though and I think he could be one of the better goalies available in 2025 as well. The WJC18 could be telling which way it's gonna go for Neuenschwander I guess. 2025 may be a stronger year for goalies than 2024 but I still think being a late birthday could help Neuenschwander. Even if he should struggle and not get drafted as a result I think being a late birthday should increase his chances to get drafted as an overager.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Thank you and so for being so vague. I meant in comparison to other 2025 netminders. Your assessment was great. I'll definitely be keeping track of his progress. Did he recently play for Switzerland at the 5 nations u17 tournament. Can't seem to find stats/results for that tournament that just took place.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Thank you and so for being so vague. I meant in comparison to other 2025 netminders. Your assessment was great. I'll definitely be keeping track of his progress. Did he recently play for Switzerland at the 5 nations u17 tournament. Can't seem to find stats/results for that tournament that just took place.

I don't think I could say enough about all of them. Even my Neuenschwander viewings are kinda limited. I watched most of them but I wouldn't be able to do a ranking just yet. Maybe after the WJC18.

If can tell you though that the only guy I currently have clearly ahead of Neuenschwander (and everybody else) is Josh Ravensbergen. Another guy who, for me, came out of nowhere. He's impressive though. I still think he should have made Canada's WJC20 squad. He'd have been good enough. Well, Neuenschwander should have made the Swiss team as well but that's a story for another day.

As I wrote above, Neuenschwander played the U19 tournament in Kloten, not the U18 tournament in Plymouth. EP somehow not showing the stats but I added them to my post. Note that Neuenschwander didn't get the easy Germany start, played Sweden and Finland instead.

Bild_2024-02-13_000536204.png

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Appears to be Chur's playoff starter despite only playing two regular season games for them. Gave up three goals today in a 2-4 loss but had a shutout in game 1 of the playoff series vs Langenthal.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad