G Dylan Garand - Hartford Wolfpack, AHL (2020, 103rd, NYR)

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
15-year-old currently taking the reigns as Kamloops' goaltender after Ferguson's emergency callup to Vegas. Played very well in his two games so far, posting .923 and .939 save percentages (Which is impressive given the abysmal team Kamloops has this year)

Keep an eye on this kid.

Dylan Garand

garand1-1024x616.jpg

Reactions: deflowd

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Thought I'd bump this to see what people think of Garand this year. Obviously still second fiddle to Ferguson but his numbers are much better than Ferguson's and he's the only 16 year-old tender making regular starts in the WHL thus far this season.

One would think Ferguson is gonna get moved near the trade deadline. No?

I would expect Garand to be the starter by mid season.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Has gotten off to a great start to his draft year with a .928 save % and along with Zary has been carrying Kamloops who sit in 1st place in the BC division just ahead of Vancouver. Askarov is clearly the top goalie this draft but Garand is in the running for 2nd best. Has good size so will likely go somewhere in the 2nd-3rd round range if he keeps this up

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
A guy I work with has Dylan as his billet. Apparently he is a very mature kid that is extremely focused on his craft (goal tending). Eats nothing but healthy food and works out a ton.

Well he is playing major junior so I would hope so!!lol... junior teams crack the whip on these kids eating habits and fitness levels all year

That's pretty much what all kids do nowadays in hockey. Some family friends of mine have kids in bantam and they all work out non stop and eat nothing but healthy food already at 14.

Kids take that serious at a young age.... I remember when I was that age I would still eat McDonalds as a pre game meal when away at tournaments and thought that riding a stationary bike and trying to do bench press with awful form in the summer was considered working out lol

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like this pick. We should be taking a goalie every year. I don't care how set we are in goal currently. You don't know what it'll look like in five years.

I had him as an early third rounder. Good value in round 4.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He played about a period and a half in his AHL debut. I liked what I saw. He's really quick and his movement is impressive. That part of his game looks the part of an eventual high quality NHL'er. Not out of control either. He gave up one goal. I don't know the exact number of shots he faced, but it seemed like close to 10. The goal wasn't a bad goal against. Shot from pretty close low to force a rebound. Hard for him to do much better with where he placed the rebound. Good play by the forward with the initial shot and the defensemen could've done a better job of defending the eventual goal scorer. He also made some really difficult saves. It was not easy work he had. I thought he tracked shots well and was making good decisions in reacting to the flow of the play in his positioning and his movements.

I'd like to see him get more of a runout the next game. I think he's probably the most exciting goalie prospect in the Rangers system right now. He's certainly the highest upside of the crop. The others don't have his type of lateral movement and ability to steal goals.

Reactions: Realgud

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Started his first AHL game. He gave up four goals. He started well. About halfway through the game, he had only given up one on nearly 20 shots, and made some really nice saves. But then he gave up three in the second half of the game. He didn’t face very many shots in the second half of the game. He couldn’t have hit 30, but the three goals in the second half of the game weren’t really his fault. One of those stretches where a goalie doesn’t face very many shots, yet they give up a bunch of goals without doing much wrong. It hurt his numbers. The first goal he allowed was by far the worst. A long shot that got through. He settled down after that. He could’ve probably stopped a mid-range deflection, but it slipped under him. The other two he gave up were a fast moving play that got under him after he did great to get over in time and a broken play that a player found in the slot. Goalie wasn’t going to be able to recognize that one fast enough.

He’s now been sent back to the WHL. His season with Kamloops will start soon.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
First shutout of the season in his fifth game. Not the greatest start at .908 through five games, but that’s not too bad either.

I’m hoping he can challenge Cossa all year with being the best goalie in the league and challenging Cossa for the net at the World Juniors. If he shows there’s not much of a gap, I think that’d be very good, considering they are both in their 19 year old season and Garand was a fourth round pick, while Cossa was picked round one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad