Speculation: G Corey Schneider

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
No clue. Just going off of the rumors that we may move him.

We are not moving Varlamov. I would be shocked. Those rumors were from before Greiss signed with Detroit. As for Schneider, injuries derailed his time in NJ. If he is healthy, this is more in line with insurance I am looking for if a goalie gets injured/sick or god forbid Sorokin is not ready. This would not be a terrible move

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The only way we were ever going to move Varly would have been if Greiss re-signed. I would have been ok with that but Schneider as a NHL backup would work for stretches if one of Varly/Sorokin get injured...or if Sorokin needs some time in the AHL.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
id imagine there is the possibility that they want sorokin to start in the AHL and play every game to get his feet under him before bringing him up, hence this could make some sense.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It’s not a bad contract. He proved himself this year, he’s a good goalie. Definitely top 15, maybe be top 10.
In this time of the stagnant cap, I can't see anybody being interested in a veteran goalie making $5M/yr for 3 more years. Besides at the point Andrew Gross floated this out there most of the landing spots for Varlamov had been filled. I don't think Gross really thought this one through before he tweeted it out.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
id imagine there is the possibility that they want sorokin to start in the AHL and play every game to get his feet under him before bringing him up, hence this could make some sense.
I think Lou loans Sorokin during this unknown year, because I doubt theres an AHL season what with teams minor clubs already announcing they likely wont participate

IMO its better than Sorokin struggling and the Isles missing the playoffs in a shortened year

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Just bc im a devils fan here on LI ill give you my opinion. He had 1 good season in jersey, and quickly went down hill after. His groin is still an underlying issue, and is injury prone. He went over 1 full year without an nhl win, and got thoroughly outplayed by both kinkaid (suffolk county kid), and blackwood.
Lou traded for him, and was always fond of him on Vancouver...and sadly I think he is just too loyal to former devils. Cory's best days were over 5 year ago,but I hope he can turn it around a bit and not be a liability for you guys.

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Intriguing situation...

I'm not up to speed with the requirements around Seattle's entry draft, but if Schneider signs and goes to Bridgeport, would they then be able to use him to protect the other goalies?

Reactions: buud

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Just bc im a devils fan here on LI ill give you my opinion. He had 1 good season in jersey, and quickly went down hill after. His groin is still an underlying issue, and is injury prone. He went over 1 full year without an nhl win, and got thoroughly outplayed by both kinkaid (suffolk county kid), and blackwood.
Lou traded for him, and was always fond of him on Vancouver...and sadly I think he is just too loyal to former devils. Cory's best days were over 5 year ago,but I hope he can turn it around a bit and not be a liability for you guys.

Good thing he will likely be in Bridgeport.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Almost literally zero risk. Good signing for what it is. AHL and emergency backup
Yup - that's a great move to have an insurance policy that's played in the league before. Doesn't count against our cap at all. If he resurrects his career and we have injuries (which every team does), I'd much rather have Corey than Chris Gibson or Jacob Skarek as next man up.

This is a no brainer - especially if he's a good locker room guy, which LL seems to think he is.

Reactions: buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yup - that's a great move to have an insurance policy that's played in the league before. Doesn't count against our cap at all. If he resurrects his career and we have injuries (which every team does), I'd much rather have Corey than Chris Gibson or Jacob Skarek as next man up.

This is a no brainer - especially if he's a good locker room guy, which LL seems to think he is.
I think he will be a good guy to have around the AHLers. He accepted his demotion to Binghamton last year without any sulking. Did it right and kept it classy.

Reactions: crasherino

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Schneider is an interesting signing. I assume he signed with the Isles primarily to work with Korn and Greco and try to reinvent himself.

The Devils overplayed him, after only averaging around 30 games in prior seasons with Vancouver, which led to the injuries.

If Korn and Greco can help him rework his game and stay healthy, perhaps by changing his training program, he might have a chance to rebound.

Very low-risk signing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Has Lamoriello ever been wrong when bringing in a goalie? I mean seriously, he got Brodeur, he got Schneider (who was good until the injuries hit), he got Andersen, he brought in Lehner, then replaced him with Varlamov. That's a pretty damn good track record.

Reactions: danteipp and MJF

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

no issues with the depth here as it won't affect the cap but had assumed part of the reason was also that we needed to add a goalie to expose for the expansion draft but the 1 year deal will elapse before that date. So unless we resign him, we would still need to make another move (unless of course we expose Varly)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad