G Colton Point (2016, 128th, DAL)

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Lol no kidding. Props to Kobe Armstrong for having a sharp eye

True big ups to Kobe Armstrong because this kid is looking like a stud. Putting up better numbers than Oettinger. If Dallas somehow manages to have 2 legit goalie prospects in the pipeline this will be great

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
I knew he was gonna be a good one, this is why I did not like for the Stars and even said so at the draft thread that picking a goalie in the first round is freaking bad when they picked Oettinger last draft. I said Colton Point was the guy and not Oettinger for the Stars future.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I knew he was gonna be a good one, this is why I did not like for the Stars and even said so at the draft thread that picking a goalie in the first round is freaking bad when they picked Oettinger last draft. I said Colton Point was the guy and not Oettinger for the Stars future.

Because putting your eggs in one basket is a great idea. Oettinger is a fantastic goalie so just be happy you have two great goalie prospects.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

While I would have rather gone skater over Goalie at 26, there is nothing wrong with having 2 "upper end" goalie prospect. We literally have nothing close to ready or hopeful signed to a contract right now. I will be more than happy if competition brews between Oetter and Point and the better one steps up

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Point was solid. Only gave up that PPG and he had his own guy screening him until the last moment.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Came here to keep this thread alive. Didnt need to. Pretty much the same stats through 9 games now.

Beating Harvard is huge for Colgate and Point

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He's now 5-0-4 and has only given up 10 goals in 9 games, against some pretty decent competition too. Every goalie has hot stretches but he looks elite right now

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He's now 5-0-4 and has only given up 10 goals in 9 games, against some pretty decent competition too. Every goalie has hot stretches but he looks elite right now

I know you follow Colgate but a this point (no pun intended) you have to be low-key worried he might not be back next year eh?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I know you follow Colgate but a this point (no pun intended) you have to be low-key worried he might not be back next year eh?

Colgate knew that Point was more than likely not going to last the full four years there which is why they wanted his rookie year to be this season rather than last season. It really depends what Dallas wants to do and what they plan on doing with Oettinger. You don't want to bring Oettinger/Point into the AHL at the same time, they'll want to stagger their arrival. So really it depends on which goalie you want to bring into the AHL first. I think they keep Point in the NCAA for one more season and look at bringing in Oettinger this off-season. Point is the goalie that requires a bit more seasoning compared to Oettinger.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Colgate knew that Point was more than likely not going to last the full four years there which is why they wanted his rookie year to be this season rather than last season. It really depends what Dallas wants to do and what they plan on doing with Oettinger. You don't want to bring Oettinger/Point into the AHL at the same time, they'll want to stagger their arrival. So really it depends on which goalie you want to bring into the AHL first. I think they keep Point in the NCAA for one more season and look at bringing in Oettinger this off-season. Point is the goalie that requires a bit more seasoning compared to Oettinger.

Given their age and how each is playing I think Point is more likely to get signed this offseason and Oetter to be the one to get an other year in the NCAA

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Horrible game today by Point. Let in 2 goals this time and only had a 0.933 save% in his win

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Given their age and how each is playing I think Point is more likely to get signed this offseason and Oetter to be the one to get an other year in the NCAA

Both are '98 birth years and both are in their second year of NCAA hockey. Difference being Point has one year of being a starter (this year) whereas Oettinger will have two years of being a starter by the time the season ends. Oettinger is the more finished product compared to Point so unless Oettinger completely falls of the rails this season he'd be first in line to get an ELC with Point's coming the season after.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Both are '98 birth years and both are in their second year of NCAA hockey. Difference being Point has one year of being a starter (this year) whereas Oettinger will have two years of being a starter by the time the season ends. Oettinger is the more finished product compared to Point so unless Oettinger completely falls of the rails this season he'd be first in line to get an ELC with Point's coming the season after.

I mean I know Oetter has the pedigree over Point but given the stats so far and the teams they have infront of them you offer Point a contract and let Oetter settle down for an other year

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I mean I know Oetter has the pedigree over Point but given the stats so far and the teams they have infront of them you offer Point a contract and let Oetter settle down for an other year

The season is still very young. I'll be surprised if Oettinger doesn't bounce back and while I'm sure the Stars are very happy with how Point is playing they know he's a prospect you take your time with. Most important thing though is to sit back and see how the season plays out. Must be nice being a Stars fan thinking about which fantastic goalie prospect you want to bring in.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Horrible game today by Point. Let in 2 goals this time and only had a 0.933 save% in his win

2nd goal came with only 7 seconds left in the game too, Colgate had just scored an empty net goal

10 GA in 9 games and only has 5 Wins? His team must suck at scoring goals.

They are in fact quite a horrible team aside from Point. There's a couple decent sophomores but no NHL talent like other schools in the conference

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Isn't he a US/Canada dual citizen?

He is which makes his Team Canada status in doubt, not because he's a dual citizen but because we don't know which way he's leaning. Before this summer I would have said Canadian due to him participating in the WJAC while also attending a Hockey Canada goalie camp. This summer though he attended the USA Hockey goalie camp. It really all depends on if Point is fine with not playing in the WJC and no one has any inside info on his decision.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I mean with his numbers this year he should be able to make either the Canada or US team as a 3rd string

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think his eligibility for playing for the U.S. is in question due to the IIHF rules on playing for at least two years in the county you want to represent. Similar to how things played out for Jake Walman. Who knows? I guess we'll find out soon.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
One goal against.. again. This time against #11 Western Michigan. This kid is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad