G Brett Brochu - London Knights, OHL (2020 undrafted)

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Rookie goaltender with London who is one of the youngest players in this draft class (born on Sep. 9th). Not sure what his draft stock is but he wasn’t on NHL Central Scouting’s top 31 NA goalies. He is 5’11 which of course is a large downside but he’s boosting a pretty good SV% for a first time draft eligible goalie.

Brett Brochu at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: d rake

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Knights fan here. Have to say, Brochu has been outstanding. London had all kinds of questions around goaltending this year. And this kid comes in ... get this … FROM Jr C !!! Wins the starting job and hasn't looked back. No way London is on top of the OHL West without him. Period.
Brochu will get downgraded by scouts because he isn't tall enough. But it's awfully hard to argue with his performance. If I'm not mistaken, he's within striking distance of an OHL record for Most Wins by a Rookie.
Incredible compete level - a real fighter. Can never count him out of ANY play.
Terrific rebound recovery. Good lateral movement. Quick and aggressive to challenge the shooters.
Someone is gonna ignore the size argument and realize this kid is a winner.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Dustin Wolf almost didn’t get drafter at 6’. Despite being talented It would be extremely small chance a team selects a 5’11 goalie. Nhl overates height.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
No doubt the lack of an OHL season hurt, but is it solely his size that prevented him from being drafted again this year or are there other reasons?

His success in 2019-20 would seem to merit at least a late round flier ahead of some of the less accomplished bigger goalies drafted.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
His size will always cause teams to pause before picking him, but he has the technique to offset his size limitation. He's very quick up and down, which allows him to take the extra split second to react to the shot and stay standing if need be.

Plus he's such a battler. Never gives up on a play.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His size will always cause teams to pause before picking him, but he has the technique to offset his size limitation. He's very quick up and down, which allows him to take the extra split second to react to the shot and stay standing if need be.

Plus he's such a battler. Never gives up on a play.

Do you think the struggles of Parsons are putting teams off from drafting Brochu? Unless a London goalie is a high round pick talent, they are going to be called a system goalie.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Do you think the struggles of Parsons are putting teams off from drafting Brochu? Unless a London goalie is a high round pick talent, they are going to be called a system goalie.

I would say it'd be more his size than Parsons that would put teams off. Parsons has dealt with a lot of injuries plus mental health struggles that have hampered his development, and I don't think you can point to inflated stats by being a London Knight.

In the two season between Parsons and Brochu the Knights had fairly strong teams and the goalies had significantly worse stats, so it's not like any goalie can just put up good numbers in London.

There have been much worse players selected in the 7th round in the past two seasons over him; I hope a team takes a chance on him for this year's draft.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I'm sure a team will at least take a late round flyer on him. Very good goalie and I'm somewhat shocked its taken this long for him to get picked

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'm not sure what to say with Brochu. While his stats are great, he's a 5'11 goalie in a world where a lot of goalies are above 6'3. He's also an OA, playing behind the London Knights.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'm not sure what to say with Brochu. While his stats are great, he's a 5'11 goalie in a world where a lot of goalies are above 6'3. He's also an OA, playing behind the London Knights.
Hes not an OA. He is in his D+2 year. London playing as well as they have this year are a direct result of how dominant Brochu has been so far this season, not the other way around. I’ll put it this way, 5 out of London’s 9 game win streak were won in overtime, where they were often out shot.
Brochu is the best goalie to touch the OHL since Michael DiPietro.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hes not an OA. He is in his D+2 year. London playing as well as they have this year are a direct result of how dominant Brochu has been so far this season, not the other way around. I’ll put it this way, 5 out of London’s 9 game win streak were won in overtime, where they were often out shot.
Brochu is the best goalie to touch the OHL since Michael DiPietro.

He’s calling him an over-ager for the draft, not the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad