G Amir Miftakhov - Ak Bars Kazan, KHL (2020, 186th, TBL released)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On the smaller side for a goalie (5'11"/6'0"), but seems like a very interesting prospect nonetheless. Central Scouting ranked him as the #2 Euro goalie.

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
There is a lot to like about Amir Miftakhov and he brings about a lot of similarities between himself and Michael DiPietro. It wouldn't be crazy to say that Miftakhov is DiPietro without the hype. He's been very good in the two tournaments I've seen him in (Hlinka/WJAC). He's a joy to watch because of how strong his physical skills and mental skills are. The concerns:

Showed inconsistencies in his recoveries losing his form and upper body positioning as he was caught being too aggressive thereby panicking to get back into position. Also showed inconsistencies in how quickly he was getting set after a lateral slide leading to inconsistent rebound control on shots off passes.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saros is 5'10. Shestyorkin is 6'1.

His size barely matters.

I have him as the third best goalie, but an argument could be made he's the top goalie in a weak goalie draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Saros is 5'10. Shestyorkin is 6'1.

His size barely matters.

I have him as the third best goalie, but an argument could be made he's the top goalie in a weak goalie draft.

I think it matters as far as where he will get drafted, but like those you listed, he can still be successful. I'd be surprised if a goalie his size went in the first 2 rounds, just like neither of those guys did. Although I suppose Enroth did, if you want to go back a bit farther.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Ah, so it was Miftakhov who made that save. I remember liking him at the Hlinka too and his numbers in MHL look very good. It's unfortunate that he isn't bigger, but in a draft with such a weak goalie crop I think he's worth taking a flyer on earlier than usual.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Named a top 3 player of the tournament for Russia. Also played well today to keep Russia in a game where they were badly outplayed.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
I think that he played bad at this tournament. He showed zero confidence, weak rebound control and he is to small (watch the second goal by USA).
Previously I thought that he is another good young goalie, but now I’m not sure.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I think that he played bad at this tournament. He showed zero confidence, weak rebound control and he is to small (watch the second goal by USA).
Previously I thought that he is another good young goalie, but now I’m not sure.

Frankly speaking, I agree with you. He has a great glove hand, but at this point he seems to be pretty much all about it. No size, weak at rebounds, slow on second/third save, inconsistent lateral movement. His lack of confidence may be coached up but he clearly underperformed at the U18s. We'll see.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Size matters - went undrafted even in a rather weak GK draft year.
Not only doesn't he have NHL size, his footwork in particular is extremely poor. When you factor in that he's below NHL frame and he's a horrible skater, you are not surprised that he went undrafted. No amount of technical, anticipation, athleticism, or shot-blocking skills will ever help a goaler when he's a below-average in some of the most important attributes for goaltending like size and skating are. Absolutely no one.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Now in his third year of draft eligibility, was surprised to see him in the CS rankings. Is he legitimately a candidate to be drafted this year?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now in his third year of draft eligibility, was surprised to see him in the CS rankings. Is he legitimately a candidate to be drafted this year?

He had a pretty bad season, but I don't see why he's not still on the radar.

I don't think he's a lock to be drafted. He hasn't been before, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad