G Alexei Melnichuk - HC Sochi, KHL (2016 undrafted; signed by SJS; traded to TBL)

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020
His future is very bright and will get to work with Nabokov with the Barracuda for the next year which will be great for him. Nabby can teach him English, give him familiarity and Nabby is becoming a very good goalie coach. He brought Dell's game back up last year and even helped a terrible Martin Jones improve.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Will he be the starter for Novgorod?
That's almost certain yes, Torpedo goalies aren't close to his level. They are kinda bad.

Will be interesting if he is. If he has a crazy good start to the year in the K
Don't expect too much, numbers-wise, Torpedo's D is also a bit of a mess. Guys with offensive skill but hardly a defensive stalwarts. So going ~92% Sv% would be amazing result.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I thought SKA would've still owned his KHL rights. I hadn't seen mention of this trade

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Any update on this guy? NHL upside to potentially be a starter?

He's still on the taxi squad and is expected to see AHL time, swapping with Korenar at some point. Otherwise no updates.

Reactions: DJB

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
He hasn't really been good this season, I'd say even his chances to be an NHL backup are quite slim, nevermind the starter.
His KHL numbers look about in line with his teammates. Any particular thing that sticks out to you as egregious in his play?

Reactions: themelkman

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
His KHL numbers look about in line with his teammates. Any particular thing that sticks out to you as egregious in his play?
You kind of answered it yourself. Goaltending is an obvious Torpedo's weakness, that's why they got Melnichuk (and recently Kochetkov) to address it in the first place. None of the goalies they have are really of KHL starter caliber. And yet, statistically, Melnichuk did the worst of the group, he didn't become clear cut #1 even with that competition.

I have no doubts, if he had a normal pre-season and got into the rhythm he would be the best goalie out of that group but if we are talking about the NHL performance levels he has a long way to go.

Reactions: Bourdon

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
You kind of answered it yourself. Goaltending is an obvious Torpedo's weakness, that's why they got Melnichuk (and recently Kochetkov) to address it in the first place. None of the goalies they have are really of KHL starter caliber. And yet, statistically, Melnichuk did the worst of the group, he didn't become clear cut #1 even with that competition.

I have no doubts, if he had a normal pre-season and got into the rhythm he would be the best goalie out of that group but if we are talking about the NHL performance levels he has a long way to go.
Melni also had most of the harder starts when I watched. I still have hope for him because Torpedo has no defensive system in front of him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Melni also had most of the harder starts when I watched. I still have hope for him because Torpedo has no defensive system in front of him.
This is all true, Torpedo definitely play very lose in their own zone (although they have gotten a bit better recently) and he was being trusted with the biggest games. Once again, I think everyone has recognized he is the best goalie they have, he just didn't excel in that role.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->