G Aleksandar Georgiev (2014 undrafted; UFA signed by NYR)

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Isn't The Rags an old-timey nickname for the Rangers?

We aren't Rags.

The coach is trying to keep his job, so he might have something to lose. There's a back to back Saturday and Sunday, so maybe he gets one of those games, but the team is awful and the starting goalie is pretty much the main reason the team isn't the leading Dahlin contenders. If they want to win, they need him in goal just about every game he can play.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's more of a nickname that Devils/Islanders/rival fans gave the team. Like..."Those filthy rags!"

As in, you know, the cloth you use to clean up messes on the floor or something and is usually dirty/smelly/disgusting.

Basically a negative connotation.

And then it just somehow became a shorthanded name for us used by everyone. I hate it.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Idk about that but as a “Rags” fan, I don’t mind it. It’s just a shortened name I doubt anyone means it in a bad way 90% of the time, even if it they do, someone shouldn’t be getting legit affected by it

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Good to know! I thought it was a nickname from like the 1920's that didnt get used much anymore.

It's more of a nickname that Devils/Islanders/rival fans gave the team. Like..."Those filthy rags!"

As in, you know, the cloth you use to clean up messes on the floor or something and is usually dirty/smelly/disgusting.

Basically a negative connotation.

And then it just somehow became a shorthanded name for us used by everyone. I hate it.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I thought I read that the nickname was derived from the "on the rag" context that was given to us by rival fan bases. It does annoy me when I read it BUT I think some Rangers fans go overboard with it. 99.9% of people now use it as a shortened version of "Rangers".

Reactions: Lays

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Geo solid through 1.

Stopped 12 of 13 shots. A local plug we traded for missed his assignment for goal 1, nothing Geo could do.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still playing well through 2. Faced 32 shots, allowed another goal, so its up to two goals. It wasn't his fault though. We don't defend well. The players let up another tap in. It could be like 5-0 if Geo wasn't playing well.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He was excellent tonight IMO. Made a huge number of quality saves. Gave up 2 but they were both horrendous defensive breakdowns.

Reactions: Fixxer

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Our goalie pipeline runs real deep
Shestyorkin
Georgiev
Huska

Wall

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Allowed 4 goals on 37 shots today. I didn’t get to watch the game but from what I’ve heard the goals weren’t exactly his fault, our defense has 4 rookies on it so I don’t blame him. 38 out of 40 yesterday. Looking pretty good so far

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He’s getting thrown into a really tough situation so you have to factor that into his games. He’s facing so many shots too, and he’s really not getting shelled which is remarkable.

Very good showings considering the circumstances I would say.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he continues to play, I think he should stay. If not, send him back to help Hartford make the playoffs and let Halverson back up Hank.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I mean he’s made 71 saves on 77 shots in two games...currently sitting with a .922 SV%. Short sample size sure but how many goalie would get absolutely shelled in that situation especially in their first NHL taste?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I mean he’s made 71 saves on 77 shots in two games...currently sitting with a .922 SV%. Short sample size sure but how many goalie would get absolutely shelled in that situation especially in their first NHL taste?
Especially with the Rangers defense
Skjei
Staal
O Gara
ADA
Pionk
Gilmour
None of the goals were really his fault either. I don’t expect a starting goalie but he can be a real good backup

Reactions: PG Canuck

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Huge fan of this kid. Scouted him intensely for fantasy before this season. Really strikes me as a Bobrovksy type rags to riches story. Not saying he'll be as good as Bob but I definitely think he'll have a decent career somewhere in the NHL. Whether he'll turn into more than a 1B remains to be seen.

Reactions: Weylspin

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Great experience for him right now, it's vital and he looks composed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad