Prospect Info: G Akira Schmid

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A few years back, Hockey Canada was worried about how they weren't producing many high end goalies. So they put a rule in place where teams couldn't have an import goalie. They repealed that rule for this season. #takinourjerbs

Reactions: OmNomNom

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Apologize if there was a thread already and I missed it. In a post elsewhere from February I saw it mentioned that since he will be 20 this season he should be signed and assigned to Binghamton.

Given all the time missed - as well as the play of Senn and McIntyre last season - that scenario doesn’t seem very reasonable.

is there a junior team - either in the CHL or the USHL - where he would fit for an overage season or would it be better for his development to play professionally in Europe?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Good question, he got injured this year and his USHL time was limited but I've always kept an eye on Schmid. I think he has some game. Wonder what's going to happen.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Assuming somehow the ECHL has a normal season which I cannot, I'll be somewhat surprised if the league doesn't fold, but Schmid playing in Adirondack on an AHL contract would not be the worst place to go. I don't think he's ready for the AHL regardless, and having him go back overseas for a year only to come back here doesn't make a ton of sense (but might if Switzerland has an actual hockey season next year)

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
Schmid is the new Carey Price definitly. Dominate completly the AHL and adding 2 shootouts in row

Both Schmid and Daws are German speaking, they used to work in duo in Utica.
To call them both next season and it will nice goalies combo for years as RFA. To trade for picks or power forward swisscheese hole Blackwood and taking age Bernier

Reactions: mdj12784

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
After the Rangers pulled two horseshoes out of their ass with Lundqvist and Shesterkin, it would be nice to get a superstar goalie for nothing ourselves. Too bad nothing good ever happens to this team anymore.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Schmid is the new Carey Price definitly. Dominate completly the AHL and adding 2 shootouts in row

To call them both next season and it will nice goalies combo for years as RFA. To trade for picks or power forward swisscheese hole Blackwood and taking age Bernier
This post makes my head hurt...

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Say whaaaat? Its pretty bad and plain , just like MacB first lid. Its like a sticker they decided to slap on it last second and Schmid said screw it , its good enough.

sometimes plain is the way to go its a change of pace. its not going to win any style points but just refreshing to look at.

i was looking through just now some helmets through the years and i'm sure i missed a bunch but i gotta say i think clemenson had one of the best. crawford never got to wear it but that looked the most realistic

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Let's not get too crazy with the Carey Price stuff.

He SHOULD be given a start tomorrow. All the more because Bernier is out. We need to see what we have in him and if what is ailing Bernier is his hip again, well, that's never a good sign when you hear the H word and you're talking about a 30+ year old goalie. That's never a good sign for a 30+ year old goalie. Cory Schneider could tell him all about that. And Bernier could be as good as not able to play to ineffective at best in the next year if that's a serious injury.

I'm still VERY confident, if not almost certain that at least one of Blackwood, Schmid or Daws will be very good. I think that it's more than possible that either one of the two youngsters are either our goalie of the future or Blackwood sustains the way he played for the two seasons before the covid pause.

We need a good look at Schmid or Daws at the NHL level, because there's a good chance we're gonna need one of them at some point in the next two years, since Bernier is older and has already been injured multiple times in this still early season. Blackwood was injured before the season started too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->