3. Adam Fantilli

1. Aron Kiviharju
2. Alexei Dontsov
3. Berkly Catton

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada

Miroshnichenko to Muskegon is a great move. Allows him to develop in a more balanced league than playing in the top team dominated MHL. Interestingly, he says he wants to follow the same path as Andrei Svechnikov, not sure if that means heading to the CHL in his D-1 season or if he just strictly talking about playing in Muskegon.

On another note, Matvei Michkov (109 points in 26 games in the U16 Russian League) is heading to SKA-1946 St. Petersburg for his rookie MHL season. Not surprised he moved into the best program possible but Lokomotiv is far from a bad Russian hockey program. It will be interesting to what contract he signs, wonder if it runs through seasons after his draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAFI BOMB

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Miroshnichenko to Muskegon is a great move. Allows him to develop in a more balanced league than playing in the top team dominated MHL. Interestingly, he says he wants to follow the same path as Andrei Svechnikov, not sure if that means heading to the CHL in his D-1 season or if he just strictly talking about playing in Muskegon.

On another note, Matvei Michkov (109 points in 26 games in the U16 Russian League) is heading to SKA-1946 St. Petersburg for his rookie MHL season. Not surprised he moved into the best program possible but Lokomotiv is far from a bad Russian hockey program. It will be interesting to what contract he signs, wonder if it runs through seasons after his draft.

Makes a lot of sense. Miroschnichenko's power game will be best suited to North American hockey. I can't imagine he doesn't jump to the CHL the following season and he could very well be in the NHL at 18.

Michkov is more of a pure skill player, Russia will be fine for his development. Plus as a late birthday he could be an impact player in the KHL by his draft year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I heard the USNTDP U17 team for 20/21 was supposed to be a good crop
Just having a look.. U.S. National U17 Team at eliteprospects.com

I noticed a couple names on there that might be worth following.
Rutger McGroarty 6' 181 . in 15U AAA - scored 82 g 78 a 160 pts in 63 games
Cole Spicer 5'10 161 for Honeybaked U15 AAA - scored 51g 118a 169 pts in 63 games

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I heard the USNTDP U17 team for 20/21 was supposed to be a good crop
Just having a look.. U.S. National U17 Team at eliteprospects.com

I noticed a couple names on there that might be worth following.
Rutger McGroarty 6' 181 . in 15U AAA - scored 82 g 78 a 160 pts in 63 games
Cole Spicer 5'10 161 for Honeybaked U15 AAA - scored 51g 118a 169 pts in 63 games

Frank Nazar is supposed to be really good too. And Seamus Casey looks great on defense; looks like another phenomenal skating offensive defenseman in the new-age mold of a Makar, Hughes, Drysdale.

But most of what will be that team was at the Youth Olympics, and man oh man did they get handled by the Soviets. They simply had no answer for Michkov and Miroshnichenko. When those two weren't on the ice, it was a close match and USA seemed to have the edge, but every time 10 and 19 came on the ice they just did what they wanted and nothing could stop them.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Matvei Michkov is the next BIG thing out of Russia. is absolutely obliterating records left and right.

He is a PPG in the MHL at the age of 15 and is leading the entire league in goal scoring; for those who don’t know the MHL is the russian equivalent of the AHL.

He is eligible for the 2023 NHL draft.
Matvei Michkov at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Matvei Michkov is the next BIG thing out of Russia. is absolutely obliterating records left and right.

He is a PPG in the MHL at the age of 15 and is leading the entire league in goal scoring; for those who don’t know the MHL is the russian equivalent of the AHL.

Yup. But maybe not the "next" big thing. Miroshnichenko is eligible 2022. Not sure who will be better. Kinda reminds me of Ovechkin and Malkin from 2003 and 2004. Very different players - Miroschnichenko is more of a power forward, a rabid dog chasing down pucks. Michkov is the more purely skilled, his skating is f***ing phenomenal, edgework is up there with guys like Elias Pettersson and Antonio Stranges.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

MHL isn't the Russian equivalent of the AHL, it's a Russian junior league, in which the best players are usually 16 and 17, while the good 18 and 19 year olds are in the VHL and KHL.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I figured I'll repost here some notes I had from the U17s last year:

"By Zeus' beard, that Carson Lambos is a fun player to watch. Smooth as peanut butter skater, and he brings the jam. Makes plays all over the ice. Some turnovers off weird decisions, but I'll take it as a sign he's creative.

That Canada White top line was incredible. Matthew Savoie has got burners on his skates and card-dealers hands to match. Underaged and 5'9, he was losing battles all over the ice though. But his linemates are both bigger kids, Dylan Guenther is 6'1, and he's fast too. McTavish isn't as quick or as skilled but he's like what Tyler Bertuzzi is on the Detroit top line, winning every battle and being unmovable in front of the net. At 198 in this age group he just bullies his way around the ice.

And then Sillinger on the second line. Defensively, he interrupts plays with machine-like efficiency and scientific precision. Offensively he's a little more raw. Very high IQ, and a fast skater, but he doesn't wow me with his hands or passing ability. Great shot though.

The one guy I really liked from Canada Red was Connor Lockhart. That's right, the 90s teen sitcom star. For real though, he's got moves and was one of the few players on that weak Red team who ever had the gall to hold on to the puck and try to make something happen. They play like Switzerland circa 2010."

"So that Brad Lambert is really good. Wow. Talk about a player who's not afraid to carry the puck and make plays. In the game I watched them against Russia, there were a couple situations where he picked up the puck in his own zone, made moves around multiple forcheckers and carried it through the neutral and into the offensive zone. The one major issue is he avoids the front of the net like it's got leprosy. A lot of curlbacks and dipsy doodling. But he set up the tying goal with the extra attacker and scored in the shootout.

Going into the game, Samu Salminen was a player to watch for, but he wasn't overly impressive. Big body, good on the boards, but he didn't have the puck a whole lot, and didn't impress much when he did have it. He scored the tying goal by crashing the front of the net though.

There's this little defenseman for Finland, Jimi Suomi, a really intriguing prospect. Listed at 5'10 and that seemed generous; 143 pounds. But what a skater. Not smooth like Lambos, but incredible shifty and explosive. He also runs Finland's powerplay from the point. I noticed a few flaws and mistakes, but there's a ton to like there.

For Russia, Daniil Lazutin was the clear best player. At 6'2 he's got a bit of a power game, mixed with high end skill.

Fyodor Svechkov was the other player I particularly liked - decent size at 6' and maybe the most purely skilled player on the team. His best competition for that distinction might be Prokhor Poltapov, who is only 5'10 but really stood out with his stick skills.

The one other guy who stood out for Russia was Vsevolod Gaidamak - really good hockey sense. He didn't look as purely skilled as some other guys, but he just kept finding ways to create scoring chances."

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Cont'd:

"I watched the USA - Canada White game earlier. After seeing the White team badly outplay the Red team, it was an adjustment to see them get picked apart like this.

USA cleverly has their stars split up all over the lineup. At least one on each line kinda thing. Really tough to match against. Canada tried to balance their lines, but they just can't match USA's depth.

It seemed like every time Pastujov was on the ice there was a dangerous scoring chance for. But there was one play where he got lit up on a reverse hit by Riley Kidney (could be a name to watch for). I'm talking brick walled. Biggest crowd pop of the game.

Chaz Lucius scored. I guess that's not really worth saying anymore. Should just be implied. The way he sees the ice is so interesting and strange. If I had to pick one term to describe it, it would be "three-dimensional." I'd bet that's a kid who spent a ton of time playing chel in his youth.

At one point Lucius, Luke Hughes and Dylan Duke pulled off a beautiful set play through the neutral zone that led directly to a brilliant powerplay goal by Hughes.

Jack Devine is another one who could be an elite prospect, for 2022. Great hockey sense and tracks the puck well.

One real bright spot for the Canadian side was again, Carson Lambos. At one point two USA forecheckers collided hard trying to chase him down, a la Datsyuk vs. San Jose. Looks like the real deal to me.

Matthew Savoie had some exciting moments, but he was exposed at times by elite older players.

Sillinger looked really good again. I discovered that he also happens to be an excellent shot-tipper. Hell of a prospect. Some high end skills, but more importantly for his NHL stock, he plays a straight-line game, gets to the net, wins puck battles, great defensive anticipation. He'll go high in the draft."

"I watched USA vs. Canada Black next. Curious how Hockey Canada divides these teams. White was loaded with five or six of the top Canadian players but lacked depth. Team Black is stacked with players who are going to be elite CHLers.

Got my first viewing of Wright since WSIs. He looked better than Savoie. Certainly not as quick but he's got three inches and probably 15 or 20 lbs on him right now, and was able to hold his own in puck battles.

Brandt Clarke looked exceptional at both ends of the ice. Such a smart player, fantastic in the hot zone, and controls his gap well. Late in the third period with his team down a goal he threw a huge open ice hit that stopped a USA rush dead in its tracks. Minutes later with the extra attacker, he took the shot that Zhilkin tipped in to tie. He impacts the game in so many ways.

The biggest surprise for me was James Malatesta, with a powerplay goal in the slot, a slick breakaway goal, some hard forechecking and a few solid hits."

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Surprised he got passed over. The Sens should consider signing him or keeping an eye on him as a draft target for next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dylan Guenther RW & Roman Schmidt RD would both be good targets for Ottawa in the 2021 draft. Both fill positions of need & both are very good players who could be ranked around where Ottawa could acquire them or move up to get them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad