NHL Entry Draft Future Draft Watch

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This thread is designed to discuss and evaluate prospects from the 2021 draft and any subsequent draft after that. This may better inform Senators fans on future draft targets and whether or not we should consider trading picks in upcoming drafts. Hopefully this will continue fan excitement and optimism about how the rebuild might unfold.

I also thought it would be a good idea to create a separate thread from the 2020 draft thread so we can stay on topic there.

To start off, I will post highlight clips of prospects to keep an eye on:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There's another Hughes brother in 2021. Haven't watched him at all, but he's a high pick on most early 2021 mocks.

There's also a Jack Hughes, who isn't related to them, funnily enough.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Cool idea. Here's some notes I had from this past U17s.

Cole Sillinger centered Canada White's second line. Defensively, he interrupts plays with machine-like efficiency and scientific precision. Offensively he's a little more raw. Very good hockey sense and a fast skater, but he doesn't wow me with his hands or passing ability. Heck of a shot though. He plays a straight-line game, gets to the net, wins puck battles, great defensive anticipation, and an excellent shot-tipper.

On defense for Canada White, Carson Lambos is such a fun player to watch. Smooth skater, makes plays all over the ice. Makes some weird decisions, but it kinda just felt like he was being creative and it backfired a couple times. At one point against USA two forecheckers collided hard trying to chase him down, a la Datsyuk vs. Mike Grier. Kid looks like the real deal to me.

Another Canadian defenseman, for Team Black, Brandt Clarke looked exceptional at both ends of the ice. Such a smart player, fantastic in the hot zone, and controls his gap well. Late in the third period with his team down a goal he threw a huge open ice hit that stopped a USA rush dead in its tracks. Minutes later with the extra attacker, he took the shot that Zhilkin tipped in to force overtime. He impacts the game in so many ways.

For Finland, Brad Lambert's skill level lives up to the hype. Wow. Talk about a player who's not afraid to carry the puck and make plays. In the game I watched them against Russia, there were a couple situations where he picked up the puck in his own zone, made moves around multiple forcheckers and carried it through the neutral and into the offensive zone. The one major issue is he avoids the front of the net like it's got leprosy. A lot of curlbacks and dipsy doodling. But he set up the tying goal with the extra attacker and scored in the shootout.

Then there's this little defenseman for Finland, Jimi Suomi, a really intriguing prospect. Listed at 5'10 and that seemed generous; 143 pounds. But what a skater. Not smooth like Lambos, but incredible shifty. Absolutely explosive moving laterally. He also ran Finland's powerplay from the point.

I caught a few Russian games. Their most purely skilled players were Prokhor Poltapov and Fyodor Svechkov. But my favorite players for Russia were Daniil Lazutin and Vsevolod Gaidamak. They don't have as high end tools as Svechkov or Poltapov, but Lazutin is a big kid with good skills who plays a power forward game, and Gaidamak's hockey sense and creativity are unreal.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Here is a list for 2021 to get people started for what it's worth.

2021 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Cool. Pretty similar to my early 2021 list. Waaaaay too late for Cole Sillinger though. And for Russian defensemen give me Artyom Grushnikov before Daniil Chayka.

Good to see they have Lazutin and Lucius so high though, I have both in my top ten but thought maybe I was crazy for it.

Lucius is one of the more interesting prospects I've seen in a while. The way he thinks and sees the game is very unusual. The best way I've been able to think to describe it is "three dimensional". Despite his wonky goal to assist ratio, he is an incredible playmaker.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
isnt 2021 the big 3? Wright, savoie, lambert?

and then 2022 is bedard,

Wait i think i have these too early. Raty is 2021. big 3 2022. bedard 2023
A name i keep hearing and seeing is Aiden Hreschuk. american d man, i think he is 2021.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
isnt 2021 the big 3? Wright, savoie, lambert?

and then 2022 is bedard,

Wait i think i have these too early. Raty is 2021. big 3 2022. bedard 2023
A name i keep hearing and seeing is Aiden Hreschuk. american d man, i think he is 2021.

Yeah the draft you're thinking of is 2022. I dunno about "big three" though. Miroshnichenko and McGroarty look like they could be in that mix, as well as some other late birthday '03s - Jack Devine, Ludwig Persson, Danila Yurov. The only one really separating himself at this point is Wright

2021 is still way too wide open. Doesn't seem to be anyone pulling away from the pack. Räty, Luke Hughes, Brandt Clarke and Carson Lambos could all be in the mix, and I'm sure there are others.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah the draft you're thinking of is 2022. I dunno about "big three" though. Miroshnichenko and McGroarty look like they could be in that mix, as well as some other late birthday '03s - Jack Devine, Ludwig Persson, Danila Yurov. The only one really separating himself at this point is Wright

2021 is still way too wide open. Doesn't seem to be anyone pulling away from the pack. Räty, Luke Hughes, Brandt Clarke and Carson Lambos could all be in the mix, and I'm sure there are others.
yeah i dont know much about the drafts as of yet, ive just labelled them by their familiar names.. or at least my fmailiar names

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
This is from the 2018 WSI U13s

Draftday Selects vs. ProKhorkin Selects

Connor Bedard is #98 in red

He'll end up with a tournament record 24 goals and 32 points in 7 games.

13:50-14:05 everything is at the net with him

17:30-18:30 some powerplay time

37:45-38:10 outwits his opponent to gain possession of a loose puck in the offensive zone

ProKhorkins Selects (Russia) – Drafday (North America), Quarterfinal, WSI 05, May 2018, Chamonix
42:10-42:20 off the rush

ProKhorkins Selects (Russia) – Drafday (North America), Quarterfinal, WSI 05, May 2018, Chamonix
58:00-58:10 pretty neat sequence here for Bedard

1:03:15 killing a penalty, disrupts, joins rush, sets up goal

1:08:20-1:09:10 woah

1:12:50 he sees the opportunity and pounces

1:20:10-1:20:40 nice deceptive move here, when he gets the puck it looks like he's going behind the net. And then just look at him go from there

Last edited:
Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad