Future Top-Pairing UFA Defensemen to Target

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Here's a list of all the upcoming UFA defensemen over the next four years that I believe are actual difference makers on the top pairing, not players who can play on the top pairing with a stud defenseman (Stralman, Fowler, etc). I went through every team just for fun and here's what I found.

I listed their current salary and the season they'll be a UFA.

Brent Burns - $5,760,000 - 2017-18 - (1 year)
Kevin Shattenkirk - $4,250,000 - 2017-18 (1 year)
John Carlson - $3,966,667 - 2018-19 (2 years)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - $5,500,000 - 2019-20 (3 years)
Erik Karlsson - $6,500,000 - 2019-20 (3 years)
Drew Doughty - $7,000,000 - 2019-20 (3 years)
Roman Josi - $4,000,000 - 2020-21 (4 years)
Justin Faulk - $4,833,333 - 2020-21 - (4 years)
Tyson Barrie - $5,500,000 - 2020-21 - (4 years)
Alex Pietrangelo - $6,500,000 - 2020-21 (4 years)

To me the best opportunity is Erik Karlsson. I don't see him re-signing in Ottawa. I think he's the guy you have to target. Likely command the most money of any defenseman in history and probably ask for $10+ million. His playstyle fits Detroit's system and he'll have just turned 29 years old.

By 2019-20, the Red Wings will have an estimated $36,895,455 in cap space. Jimmy Howard, Gustav Nyquist, and Niklas Kronwall are free agents that offseason. The only defensemen penciled in that season are DeKeyser and Ericsson (lol). The forward group still signed is Zetterberg, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, and Glendening. There should be enough cap space to sign Karlsson to a max deal by that time. :)

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
If we're being real - we should try to target Shattenkirk and Barrie when they reach UFA and that would be a tough challenge because they will have many suitors.

If we're dreaming - I would throw any amount of money at Karlsson. I mean, Kronwall, Z and Ericsson stalking him at both sides of Atlantic until he signs with Detroit would be the best application of their skills. I willing to donate Nyquist to this cause if it helps. If EK is married, make sure his wife "accidently" becomes friends with the wife of one of our Swedish players telling her how she loves that her husband plays for Red Wings. Bribe his distant or not distant relatives, organise him a meeting with his childhood model Lidstrom, where he tells him about his awesome second half of career - I don't care, just make him sign with the Wings.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
And here is the updated list of top pairing defenseman that will actually be hitting UFA in the near future:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This won't end well.

Inb4 "Holland is just gonna sign a bunch of crap and we won't have a chance at any of these guys"
"Detroit isn't a FA location anymore, so we won't have a chance at these guys"
"It's Holland, he's gonna offer Quincey 5M to come back and sign Dan Cleary to be his top pairing D because he just can't quit him."

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
KH needs to fire the washed up scouts (Hakan) and replace them with the scouts from Nashville. Problem solved.

Atleast Nill is finally gone....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
KH needs to fire the washed up scouts (Hakan) and replace them with the scouts from Nashville. Problem solved.

Atleast Nill is finally gone....

You do realize that Hakan has only had 1 pick in the first 2 rounds of the draft since Kronwall in 2000, right?

His draft record for where he is allowed to pick is still pretty good. Sorry, but I think your comment is pretty ignorant. And regardless... we are talking about Ken Holland, the man that preaches loyalty. He's not going to fire the guy that drafted the core that won our last Cup and has made the playoffs the last 10 years running, and has been a huge part of the success of this franchise over the last 15-20 years.

If I was going to fire a scout, I'd be tempted to fire the guy scouting the WHL. Very little return from that area.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
come on

elite franchise altering players, let alone dmen, dont hit free agency

holland is not to blame for that fact, he would only be too blame if he thinks they do and bases his franchises success on that premise

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So St. Louis isn't gonna trade Shattenkirk?

If any of these GM's let these guys hit free agency, they would be idiots. I think at the very least, we would have to try and pick one up at the trade deadline before they would hit UFA. But other than Shattenkirk, I don't even see that as an option for 95% of these guys.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
If any of these GM's let these guys hit free agency, they would be idiots. I think at the very least, we would have to try and pick one up at the trade deadline before they would hit UFA. But other than Shattenkirk, I don't even see that as an option for 95% of these guys.

Trouba seems like a long shot. So I'd settle for Shattenkirk if they can resign him. Burns is intriguing. Not sure what San Jose would specifically be looking for other than young assets and picks.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The only realistic target is Brent Burns, he'll be in his 30's when his contract is up and he'll probably want an 8 year deal.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
And here is the updated list of top pairing defenseman that will actually be hitting UFA in the near future:

This.

None of those guys will hit FA. If Karlsson isn't likely to sign with Ottawa, they'll trade him (and no, probably not for Tatar/Smith/2nd, or whatever other godawful offer we put together).

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Shats I don't see coming here either. Probably somewhere close to home if not Boston which they could really use him over there I think. Even with Krug.

Totally agree, Pretty sure the odds that any of those D-men come to Detroit in the near or distant future is pretty small. Other then Shatty who either goes home to New York or Boston. The others i still say will wind up with their respective clubs.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Non of the above Detroit is no longer a destination for desirable free agents. Also I don't think any of those guys will be in Holland's age range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad