Future Salary Cap space

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
The salary cap penalties that us have in the current cap crunch fall off after this season correct? Any such possibility incentives get the better of us next season too? How much does anyone think the cap will go up? I can not see it sky rocketing anytime soon.

So given the fact that Krug, Dougie, Smith, Frazer, Soderberg just to name an important few will all need new contracts, next year could be even worse for us in terms of keeping the best players.

I think Boychuck and Kelly walk after this season like Ference and Throty. I can kind of see PC standing pat right now. Unless the right deal comes at some point this season for any of the crowded blue liners. We re maxed to the cap while also having really good depth. You never know what can happen during the season and with the depth we have now and the competition for the forwards, no need to make trade deadline deals with the depth we have. PC stands pat and lets the old guard walk at the end of the year.

Sorry got into a bit of a rant here.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The salary cap penalties that us have in the current cap crunch fall off after this season correct? Any such possibility incentives get the better of us next season too? How much does anyone think the cap will go up? I can not see it sky rocketing anytime soon.

If by "penalties" you mean "performance bonus cap overflow because of Iggy", yes - they're over after this season. That won't be a factor next year. So that $4.7+ mil you see in "Carryover Bonus Overages" on capgeek won't be there.

Or, if there is, I can't imagine it would be anywhere near that high - I mean, in theory I guess it could happen. I think the star on capgeek means bonuses could happen. Dougie's got $600K of performance bonuses in his cap hit. Nobody else on capgeek's current projected roster has them, but, for example, Spooner would be $110K. There's no way that we're going to hit the same $4 mil in bonus overages unless we sign some big star for 1 year ala Iggy.

Essentially, last year with Iggy was a legal way of circumventing the cap, with the "punishment" of having the overages count for this year. Also, Iggy took the risk that if he had been injured, he wouldn't get paid nearly as much as he should.

The cap will almost definitely go up. $69M was on the low end of some of the projected figures that were being tossed about early last spring/summer. TV deals affect the cap, and I think the new TV deal in Canada will help. The Canadian dollar tanking also didn't help things much. I think I've heard numbers like 72 or 73.

member 96824

A lot of committed money. I dont foresee next offseason being any more comfortable than this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad